Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model Y for about 2 weeks now and have been very happy with it. Really an amazing car. The only thing I'd like to change is the stiff ride. Every bump comes through. I understand that it was probably engineered for handling, so the suspension was tuned that way. Is there a way to soften the ride?

I've had my Model Y for about 2 weeks now and have been very happy with it. Really an amazing car. The only thing I'd like to change is the stiff ride. Every bump comes through. I understand that it was probably engineered for handling, so the suspension was tuned that way. Is there a way to soften the ride?
If you tell us details about what wheels and tires you have there may be simple fixes.
Also, did you get the sports package?

I have the 19" wheels. Continental ProContact 255/45R19 Tires. Dual Motor Long Range. I'm not sure what the sports package is - it wasn't an option I ordered. I did not order the Performance version of the Model Y. Thanks.

I also have the Gemini 19", and have been searching for a solution without letting air out of my tires and sacrificing range. Ultimately, I do feel the Continentials have a lot to do with it, as I've had this experience with Continentals many times on German cars, and switching to Michelins or Vredesteins smooths out the ride tremendously. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options yet for our tire size and load rating.

The best available option to really dial your suspension until Tesla decides to add air suspension is to go with the full coilover upgrade from Unplugged Performance - Tesla Model Y Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit by Unplugged Performance.

I reached out to them about their dual-rate springs, which are significantly less expensive, although their "mild" springs may give me a better ride than stock, they lower the car 1", and I want to maintain stock height. I'd even go an inch higher if they were offered. The price for the full coilovers is a bit steep for me right now, but if you don't mind the 1" drop, it may give you a better ride than stock.

You should try going down to 38 lbs in your tires.

Always try adjusting the tire pressure first. Set it to the value shown on the label by the driver's door. NEVER less and ALWAYS when COLD like first thing in the morning. And hopefully, you have an accurate gauge.

The Y is tuned for a stiffer ride reminds me of some of my BMW's. You either like it or loath it or learn to live with it. Replacing the tires is a last resort and an expensive one on a new car.

Good luck.

Reactions: X Fan
Always try adjusting the tire pressure first. Set it to the value shown on the label by the driver's door. NEVER less and ALWAYS when COLD like first thing in the morning. And hopefully, you have an accurate gauge.

The Y is tuned for a stiffer ride reminds me of some of my BMW's. You either like it or loath it or learn to live with it. Replacing the tires is a last resort and an expensive one on a new car.

Good luck.
Going below the psi on the door jamb is completely fine. Just stay within the limits specified on the tire itself.

Unplugged Performance also offer these Mild Springs. I have a set that are due to be delivered soon. Once installed I'll post my results based on my precisely tuned and calibrated "Butt Meter".

Curious how this works out for you. I did email Unplugged Performance, and they let me know their mild springs lower the car 1", and I want to maintain my ride height...even would have been OK if it raised the car 1". Hope they make dual-rate springs that don't lower the car...I would be all over these. In a 3.5 hours ride yesterday, the 'feel every bump possible', even with the 19" wheels, got old at the 1.5 hour mark. I really miss my air suspension in my last BMW X5 :-(

Curious how this works out for you. I did email Unplugged Performance, and they let me know their mild springs lower the car 1",
It's weird that their website suggests that only the Moderate ones lower the vehicle.

"Mild Springs provide a comfort-focused ride for those who want a more luxurious ride without reducing ground clearance for off-road use."

Definitely interested how these change the suspension behaviour.

Reactions: drdumont
I am worried that he Unplugged springs will lower the car. My solution was to order the Mountainpass Performance lift kit. It adds 1.75" of lift. I figured the springs do lower the car, I will still be 3/4" higher. If the springs do not lower the car, I'll bet 1.75" higher. Don't really know if i'm going to like that much lift, but i'm willing to give it a try. I'll post results here as both kits should be in soon.

Using softer springs on stock dampers will just result in smashing the bump stops all the time!

We are wrapping up development on our coilover kit for the Y which improves on the stock ride quality and can be run at the stock Model Y Performance ride height, or lowered. They are height and compression/rebound adjustable so you can fine-tune the coilovers to your exact liking :)

Development took quite a while, but as it turns out, installing parts designed for the Model 3 caused the Model Y to perform far from ideal. You'd think it would be easier considering how many parts they have in common!

Attachments

• Model-Y-OEM-Weighed.jpg
    Model-Y-OEM-Weighed.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 591
  • MPP-Model-Y-Front-coilovers.jpg
    MPP-Model-Y-Front-coilovers.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 410
  • MPP-Model-Y-Rear-Coilovers.jpg
    MPP-Model-Y-Rear-Coilovers.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 420
Unplugged Performance also offer these Mild Springs. I have a set that are due to be delivered soon. Once installed I'll post my results based on my precisely tuned and calibrated "Butt Meter".

Replying to my own post because I cancelled the Mild Springs order and ordered the 4 coil over kit from Unplugged. Pricey, but after talking to the guys at Unplugged I was convinced this is the best option to provide the best ride quality available. I'll post info after install.

Very interested to hear you're concerned with ride quality on the Gemini wheels. I was expecting you to say you have the Überturbine wheels or at least the Inductions. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the springs if you decide to go that route.