Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello gentlemen. I bought, had installed and returned the Unplugged Performance Luxury Coil over set. At the softest settings, with the nicest Bridgestone's you can put on the car according to Tire Rack, the car had virtually no noticeable to perhaps 10% improvement at best. I'm not interested in lowering range, so I'm at 43 pounds of pressure. I spent 850 dollars getting them installed and aligned, luckily Unplugged honored what i considered false advertising and took them back and paid to put back in the stock suspension and covered the alignment too. All i wanted in my Y long range on 19's was a daily driver, comfortable and electric. What i bought is a mustang suspension in a hatchback. I'm hopeful that an airbag option comes out, or someone releases softer springs and struts. Absolutely frustrating, a tremendous waste of time, and a really expensive time consuming lesson. This car overall is really awesome, and i bought the 2000 dollar acceleration upgrade even though i didn't need it and it really was a waste of money. For the life of me, i don't know why it isn't pitched as a sports car, the suspension ****ing sucks.

Sorry for the trouble you had to go through. Still awesome to see UPP taking care of what they could on their end. I wonder what will happen to the returned coilover. UPP post it here for sale Im sure someone will snatch it in a heartbeat since some have been waiting for couple months already :)

Sorry for the trouble you had to go through. Still awesome to see UPP taking care of what they could on their end. I wonder what will happen to the returned coilover. UPP post it here for sale Im sure someone will snatch it in a heartbeat since some have been waiting for couple months already :)
Their site had the coilovers before the luxury version came out. That’s probably why they made a race spec and then a luxury spec. Sounds like you were an early adopter. Curious on why you didn’t just switch out the springs? I would have.

Their site had the coilovers before the luxury version came out. That’s probably why they made a race spec and then a luxury spec. Sounds like you were an early adopter. Curious on why you didn’t just switch out the springs? I would have.

Agreed. Especially seems like UPP was willing to pay for all the expenses. I would have swapped out the springs well

If I have 21” wheels and it’s giving me insane back pain to drive the Model Y, should I go 19” with Michelin’s or should I go with the springs either from UPP or Mountain???

also saw the tip from someone of only changing the rear spring ? Which do you think would give me more bang for my buck?
Tempted to get rid of my MY PUP

If I have 21” wheels and it’s giving me insane back pain to drive the Model Y, should I go 19” with Michelin’s or should I go with the springs either from UPP or Mountain???

also saw the tip from someone of only changing the rear spring ? Which do you think would give me more bang for my buck?
Tempted to get rid of my MY PUP

I have the non-Performance Y with 19" wheels. I lowered the pressure to 38 psig and I consider it still too harsh. That's why I've pre-ordered the comfort coilovers from MountainPass.

The ride is definitely quite rough. It's rougher than a dedicated track car I have.

We went on a short trip this weekend and my 6 year old wanted to know "why the new car is so bumpy that it makes my head hurt."

So I'll be keeping an eye out here.

I agree. I have a 2019 M3 LR AWD and a 2020 MY LR AWD. My M3 is way more comfortable to drive, especially on broken pavement. Luckily I don’t drive the Y (my son does). Hoping a good solution comes out to soften the ride a bit. I find myself having to almost stop when going over speed bumps in the school parking lot versus the 3 that takes them at around 15 mph without issue.

So my wife and I test drove a 2020 MY Long Range three weeks ago and found it very rough. So much so that I was planning on getting some coil overs like I have on my 3. The 2021 MY we ordered arrived today and it is night and day softer and smoother. Same tires, same air pressure, etc. I have no idea if they changed anything, but I feel like the springs have to be softer. I'm no longer getting the coils as it's great. So just another data point to consider, but our 2021 is way different that the 2020 we test drove. Anyone else drive a 2020 and a 2021?

So my wife and I test drove a 2020 MY Long Range three weeks ago and found it very rough. So much so that I was planning on getting some coil overs like I have on my 3. The 2021 MY we ordered arrived today and it is night and day softer and smoother. Same tires, same air pressure, etc. I have no idea if they changed anything, but I feel like the springs have to be softer. I'm no longer getting the coils as it's great. So just another data point to consider, but our 2021 is way different that the 2020 we test drove. Anyone else drive a 2020 and a 2021?

Wow...I thought I remembered that early M3s rode harshly also, and Tesla made an update to improve ride quality. I wonder if they did the same thing with the MY?

I took at look at the Tesla parts catalog, and they don't show whether the currently-listed springs are newer for 2021 or not. For the rear, there are 3 choices for the damper itself - long-range, performance and RWD - and 2 spring choices - long-range and performance. The fronts are a little more complicated with 8 total choices, and it looks as if the strut assembly is sold as a unit vs. coil and damper being sold separately. Maybe someone can help translate, but I see LR, RWD and Performance, but what is the 4th choice?

upload_2020-10-22_18-42-47.png

Wow...I thought I remembered that early M3s rode harshly also, and Tesla made an update to improve ride quality. I wonder if they did the same thing with the MY?

Yeah, I had a 2017 Model 3 and they changed the suspension for free a month after I got it and it significantly made the ride softer. I don't think that they had to do too many of those upgrades because there weren't many of those early 3's and they didn't advertise that a suspension upgrade was available.

With the Y, I think that there are too many Y's out there to offer an upgrade. I'd be pissed if they do since I've got some MPP coilovers on order.

Yay! This is exactly what I have been hoping for. Thanks for sharing.

I pick up my 2021 on November 7th and the suspension is the biggest thing I'm worried about. If they somehow improved that and it's a smooth ride I would be so happy!

I took at look at the Tesla parts catalog, and they don't show whether the currently-listed springs are newer for 2021 or not. For the rear, there are 3 choices for the damper itself - long-range, performance and RWD - and 2 spring choices - long-range and performance. The fronts are a little more complicated with 8 total choices, and it looks as if the strut assembly is sold as a unit vs. coil and damper being sold separately. Maybe someone can help translate, but I see LR, RWD and Performance, but what is the 4th choice?

View attachment 601444
I'm not sure either, but I was hoping to see some revised part numbers. In most of the Fische's I've looked through in the past they list the original part number but will not let you select it, then they list the superceeded part number, which you can order. Seems Tesla just list the current part number, so there's no real way to tell if it was updated or not.