Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BC Tesla is a software / battery company that has a car built around that concept. Legacy manuf are car companies trying to put software into cars. I’m sure you can see the difference. The question is can Tesla make cars like legacy manuf.

For now....trust in aftermarket companies bc Tesla isn’t gonna give you the hardware you want.
They use better suspension in S & X so that is not an excuse.

I sent a message about this to Unplugged Performance, waiting for them to reply. Re-reading their web page seems to suggest that it will go to stock height for the Performance, so a bit lower than the regular AWD (tried to find the exact number but couldn't). Almost certainly will get this.
I also sent them a message about this a week ago. Haven't heard anything back yet.

Using softer springs on stock dampers will just result in smashing the bump stops all the time!

We are wrapping up development on our coilover kit for the Y which improves on the stock ride quality and can be run at the stock Model Y Performance ride height, or lowered. They are height and compression/rebound adjustable so you can fine-tune the coilovers to your exact liking :)

Development took quite a while, but as it turns out, installing parts designed for the Model 3 caused the Model Y to perform far from ideal. You'd think it would be easier considering how many parts they have in common!

MPP I am interested in your Model Y coilovers - but what if any is your advantage over the competition's version?

Deciding, and can swing either way but I don't see a lot (or any) review of your Model Y coilovers in the interwebs.

Thanks for any feedback!

I’ve gone from 21s PUP stock wheels to 20s (20x9 with Michelin PS4s @ 40PSI) and now 19s (19x9 with sottozero 3s @ 42PSI) for the winter. Each downsize has produce incremental changes for a softer ride. I could probably get away with 19s without installing MPP coilovers but I want to ride on at least 20s. So that’s my plan. Just waiting on shipment notification on the coilovers.

Just got our Y Non-P 19's 63XXX VIn last week. I would say the ride is noticeably better than our 2018 Model 3 LRAWD, I was worried after reading how some early Y owners were complaining how stiff the ride was. Just an FYI to anyone who is potentially moving from a Model 3 to Y.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
MPP I am interested in your Model Y coilovers - but what if any is your advantage over the competition's version?

Deciding, and can swing either way but I don't see a lot (or any) review of your Model Y coilovers in the interwebs.

Thanks for any feedback!

I've been holding off on getting the UP version in case the MPP proves to be better somehow. I hear the KW shocks are good, but are they better than what UP uses? Not sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Using softer springs on stock dampers will just result in smashing the bump stops all the time!

We are wrapping up development on our coilover kit for the Y which improves on the stock ride quality and can be run at the stock Model Y Performance ride height, or lowered. They are height and compression/rebound adjustable so you can fine-tune the coilovers to your exact liking :)

Development took quite a while, but as it turns out, installing parts designed for the Model 3 caused the Model Y to perform far from ideal. You'd think it would be easier considering how many parts they have in common!

I feel like the statement "Using softer springs on stock dampers will just result in smashing the bump stops all the time" is a pretty generic statement, considering that progressive springs do not mean the entire spring is "softer".

I feel like the statement "Using softer springs on stock dampers will just result in smashing the bump stops all the time" is a pretty generic statement, considering that progressive springs do not mean the entire spring is "softer".

The Model Y Performance is already contacting the bump stops at stock ride height!

Reactions: gundarx
The Model Y Performance is already contacting the bump stops at stock ride height!

Thanks, Jesse, this is what drove home the point for me to get your coil-overs than just comfort springs. The MY Performance is easily unsettled over common, average road surfaces and really hurts driving confidence likely due to this. I’m looking forward to receiving them!

The stock suspension of the MY reminds me of the Mitsubishi Evo where reviewers swore there was no suspension and car was riding on its bare frame. Owners that swapped to coil-overs and lowered reported both improved handling and much-improved comfort. I found that hard to believe until having the MY.

Anyone considering these should read the lengthy thread on the Model 3 forum: MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

Reactions: Carlvs and DennyL

Based on your statement, it sounds like there is a design flaw from day 1with the PUP if that is the case. Although I can't find any official specs from Tesla that calls out the specific height difference between PUP and LR MYs, but I believe it is there. Unfortunately, I can't afford at this time to purchase a full coilover kit plus installation for my LR. And short of selling the car, I'd like to continue to improve my ride comfort beyond the tire swap I've already performed.

I'll take the gamble with a new dual-rate spring setup. I've performed this swap myself on previous German vehicles, so and see how it goes. Seems like others who went this route are happier than stock, but of course sacrifice the ability to dial-in the suspension with a full coilover setup, no doubt.

I’ve gone from 21s PUP stock wheels to 20s (20x9 with Michelin PS4s @ 40PSI) and now 19s (19x9 with sottozero 3s @ 42PSI) for the winter. Each downsize has produce incremental changes for a softer ride. I could probably get away with 19s without installing MPP coilovers but I want to ride on at least 20s. So that’s my plan. Just waiting on shipment notification on the coilovers.
I am in the same boat deciding what to do once my 21s run out of tread but I drive about 120+ miles a day...so I don't want to be shelving out so much for tires!

How does it affect the range?

I decided to take the plunge and order the MPP comfort coilovers! BTW, their customer support is awesome so far. Makes me even happier to make the purchase (not saying UPP etc. aren't good at all, they have been great too).

The lead time seems to be 4 - 8 weeks. I'm hoping it's closer to 4 ;)

Anyone else order these and have them yet?

I decided to take the plunge and order the MPP comfort coilovers! BTW, their customer support is awesome so far. Makes me even happier to make the purchase (not saying UPP etc. aren't good at all, they have been great too).

The lead time seems to be 4 - 8 weeks. I'm hoping it's closer to 4 ;)

Anyone else order these and have them yet?
Ordered 10/28. Hopefully shipping soon

I talked to UPP this morning about their springs. I asked if they do installation and they said yes. But the rep told me that they are putting installation on hold due to some additional testing needed on the springs. I guess they are still streamlining the springs. So I will have to hold out a bit.