Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Replying to my own post because I cancelled the Mild Springs order and ordered the 4 coil over kit from Unplugged. Pricey, but after talking to the guys at Unplugged I was convinced this is the best option to provide the best ride quality available. I'll post info after install.

Is this the Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit? If so following! Waiting for an actual review of the ride quality.

Ride quality seems to be in the butt of the beholder. I had a jeep wrangler that rode hard, and a couple of sports cars that ride stiff but not unbearably so. Curious to see what folks are comparing to. My G37 and C7 Corvette are acceptable in terms of ride quality. Lifted Jeep was a little hard on my old bones. :)

• Funny
Reactions: noshadow
My plan had been to get a coilover kit to soften the ride. But yesterday I put new wheels and tires: 19 x 8.5" MW03 with Michelin AS4s (255/45ZR19). I no longer think the suspension kit is necessary. After driving yesterday both in town and on the highway, I can say definitely that the ride is much better with the setup. You still feel the contours of the road, but now you take the bumps as if through a novocaine haze. It's hard to know how to factor out expectation and the need to feel justified in having shelled a sizable chunk of change. But I'm certain the ride is better. It also feels significantly peppier and more responsive. More like my (former) M3 in how it drives. Tbh, I'm surprised and just how much of a difference it makes.

Yeah, my wife and I are starting to grow tired of the choppiness of the MY...coming from air suspension in two BMW X5s, this is getting old. I've had older standard-suspension X5s also, and they were nowhere near this choppy. And I only have the 19" Geminis. Looked into the new springs from Mountain Pass, but I don't want to lower the vehicle, and the luxury suspension (which seems to have a very long lead time) is pretty pricey to set it once and forget it, but prob makes sense for someone who wants to quickly adjust their suspension for daily driver and then weekend warrior at the track. Just wish there was simple softer spring setup available. It may still wind up that I go with the progressive lowering springs plus the lift kit, and the net will still be a little higher ride height, but hopefully softer.

I do agree that the tires are a huge part of the issue. I'm not a fan of Continentals, and have been patiently awaiting for options in this size and load class. I absolutely love Vredestein tires, and they have taken harshness out of many other vehicles I've owned, and it looks like Tirerack just started to offer them for the MY - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...020&autoModel=Model Y Long Range&autoModClar=

I'm going to order a set and replace these Continentals first, and then revisit the springs/suspension.

Reactions: CT7Summits and JMar
Yeah, my wife and I are starting to grow tired of the choppiness of the MY...coming from air suspension in two BMW X5s, this is getting old. I've had older standard-suspension X5s also, and they were nowhere near this choppy. And I only have the 19" Geminis. Looked into the new springs from Mountain Pass, but I don't want to lower the vehicle, and the luxury suspension (which seems to have a very long lead time) is pretty pricey to set it once and forget it, but prob makes sense for someone who wants to quickly adjust their suspension for daily driver and then weekend warrior at the track. Just wish there was simple softer spring setup available. It may still wind up that I go with the progressive lowering springs plus the lift kit, and the net will still be a little higher ride height, but hopefully softer.

I do agree that the tires are a huge part of the issue. I'm not a fan of Continentals, and have been patiently awaiting for options in this size and load class. I absolutely love Vredestein tires, and they have taken harshness out of many other vehicles I've owned, and it looks like Tirerack just started to offer them for the MY - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Vredestein&tireModel=Quatrac+Pro&partnum=545RY9QTPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2020&autoModel=Model Y Long Range&autoModClar=

I'm going to order a set and replace these Continentals first, and then revisit the springs/suspension.

Two questions:
Do you know if that choppiness also adds to the boomy cabin?

Will you post an update once you get the new tires?

Reactions: CT7Summits
Using softer springs on stock dampers will just result in smashing the bump stops all the time!

We are wrapping up development on our coilover kit for the Y which improves on the stock ride quality and can be run at the stock Model Y Performance ride height, or lowered. They are height and compression/rebound adjustable so you can fine-tune the coilovers to your exact liking :)

Development took quite a while, but as it turns out, installing parts designed for the Model 3 caused the Model Y to perform far from ideal. You'd think it would be easier considering how many parts they have in common!

I ordered the Mountain Pass coilovers. I’ll post results after installing. The KW dampers are what sold me.
D93C44CC-B76E-4CAA-943B-DA65D9153FC5.png

Last edited:
Looking at the tesla parts catalog online, there is only one strut/spring assembly listed for the front suspension on the Model Y - implying ALL models use the same front suspension. The rear, however, lists two different shocks - a regular and a performance - and two different springs - regular and one labeled "Low".

Back in 2012 we picked up a Volvo XC60 SUV. It was the R-Design (i.e. sporty) model, which included the sports suspension and 20" rims. We knew immediately it rode too harshly on the way home from that purchase. I spent the next 3 months trying to determine where the issue was and ultimately decided the rear suspension on the R-Design was simply too darn firm (with only modest performance benefit). Anyway, 90 days in I climbed underneath and swapped in the "base touring" shocks and springs on the rear of that car - that did the trick. For those with the "performance" suspension I might suggest you consider a "rear only" suspension swap - should be an easy swap the in the driveway - before going through the expense of a wheel/tire swap. Having said that, you might want to wait a bit longer to see if Tesla continues to revise the suspension. They appear to be on revision C of the shocks and revision B on the springs.

As a further comparison to our Volvo story, we had several loaners with 17 and 18" rims...the impact harshness was very similar to our car with the 20" rims - I blame that on a lack of suspension isolation/bushings/etc. on the Volvo. That and a few other items kept pushing me toward the suspension.

Hello gentlemen. I bought, had installed and returned the Unplugged Performance Luxury Coil over set. At the softest settings, with the nicest Bridgestone's you can put on the car according to Tire Rack, the car had virtually no noticeable to perhaps 10% improvement at best. I'm not interested in lowering range, so I'm at 43 pounds of pressure. I spent 850 dollars getting them installed and aligned, luckily Unplugged honored what i considered false advertising and took them back and paid to put back in the stock suspension and covered the alignment too. All i wanted in my Y long range on 19's was a daily driver, comfortable and electric. What i bought is a mustang suspension in a hatchback. I'm hopeful that an airbag option comes out, or someone releases softer springs and struts. Absolutely frustrating, a tremendous waste of time, and a really expensive time consuming lesson. This car overall is really awesome, and i bought the 2000 dollar acceleration upgrade even though i didn't need it and it really was a waste of money. For the life of me, i don't know why it isn't pitched as a sports car, the suspension ****ing sucks.

Hello gentlemen. I bought, had installed and returned the Unplugged Performance Luxury Coil over set. At the softest settings, with the nicest Bridgestone's you can put on the car according to Tire Rack, the car had virtually no noticeable to perhaps 10% improvement at best. I'm not interested in lowering range, so I'm at 43 pounds of pressure. I spent 850 dollars getting them installed and aligned, luckily Unplugged honored what i considered false advertising and took them back and paid to put back in the stock suspension and covered the alignment too. All i wanted in my Y long range on 19's was a daily driver, comfortable and electric. What i bought is a mustang suspension in a hatchback. I'm hopeful that an airbag option comes out, or someone releases softer springs and struts. Absolutely frustrating, a tremendous waste of time, and a really expensive time consuming lesson. This car overall is really awesome, and i bought the 2000 dollar acceleration upgrade even though i didn't need it and it really was a waste of money. For the life of me, i don't know why it isn't pitched as a sports car, the suspension ****ing sucks.
Some tires need to be driven for at least 1000 miles before they settle down in terms of ride comfort and efficiency. I have no issue running the 19" OE Continential tires at between 40 - 42 PSI depending on the outside air temperature. Any loss of efficiency is offset by my driving with an eye toward efficient acceleration, anticipating traffic signals to minimize braking. In general the ride is fine, when I sometimes feel the ride is rough I know it is the road.

Whenever I get a new vehicle I spend some time to adjust the tire pressure up and down by at least 2 or 3 PSI in 1/2 pound increments in search of a better ride. You can start with the factory recommended pressure, be sure to use an accurate tire pressure gauge when adjusting the cold tire pressure. Give yourself at least a day or so before changing the tire pressure again. I have also found that when the rear of my Mazda 626 Touring Sedan would not settle down if I ran the rear tires at 2 PSI lower than the front tires the Mazda settled down nicely.

I will trade a bit of tire life for a more comfortable ride. Lowering the cold tire pressure by 2 PSI if it helps improve the ride does not begin to come close to creating a dangerous tire under inflation situation.

In my most recent vehicle before my Model Y the recommended tire pressure was 36 PSI, I ended up settling on 38 PSI. In the following model year the manufacturer changed the recommended tire pressure for this model vehicle with the same exact tires to 38 PSI.

Last edited:

Wow, your experience is the opposite of this guy who installed the Luxury UPP coilover package. See post #59

Best Suspension replacement for the MY?

Hello gentlemen. I bought, had installed and returned the Unplugged Performance Luxury Coil over set. ... This car overall is really awesome, and i bought the 2000 dollar acceleration upgrade even though i didn't need it and it really was a waste of money. For the life of me, i don't know why it isn't pitched as a sports car, the suspension ****ing sucks.

Sorry this didn't work out for you, I know I was eyeing the coilovers myself. The ride in the Y is IMO too harsh and I was hoping this would help. Thanks for the data point, I'll be looking to see what a few different people's impressions are before pulling the trigger (or not...)

Dear Zaxatax, we are grateful for your early support. You had one of the very first sets of our Model Y coilovers and while the balance we had was great for street/track use, we prioritized speed of delivery and your early coilovers did not have our dedicated luxury engineered springs. We are glad to have backed you up 110% with our complete satisfaction guarantee and with full refund. We remain proud to stand behind our products 110% and to ensure everyone loves our coilovers or a full refund will be given.

We wish you would have given us a chance to continue supporting you and the product as we had developed our dedicated Hyperco/UP made luxury coilover springs for those coilovers as part of our ongoing small batch production and rapid evolution of our coilovers. The experience you described of not being as soft as expected is a result of the spring pairing of your kit (and approximately 4 other very early release kits that received swift coilover springs that were not custom engineered for our luxury kit). While some love the street/track balance of that kit, for others with those early kits they wanted an even softer spring which we created and got in stock last month. Our dedicated luxury spring is of course offered as a free upgrade for any of our earliest supporters.

We would welcome you to try our revised springs, again backed with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. All of our customers have been getting our softer luxury dedicated Hyperco/UP coilover springs now when they order the Luxury kits. A note about our custom built springs, they’re not only softer but they are longer since they’re engineered with a 65mm bottom shape and a custom Tesla specific upper shape which eliminates the need for a top mount/spacer that is common on most coilover springs (and shortens spring travel)

FYI, here is a public review of our coilovers with our finalized/ updated springs mentioned above.
Best Suspension replacement for the MY?

"Chiming in here with 2 cents. I can share my experience with Unplugged Performance’s new “Luxury” coilovers that were recently fitted to my wife’s new Model Y Performance. She had noted the harsh feel of the stock suspension, which seems to be a fairly common. I’m in the so-cal area and decided to have the pros take care of the install at their shop in Hawthorne right next to Space X, the Tesla design center and supercharger. Their website has a link to get referrals if you’re outside the area. They made drop off and check-in a breeze, especially with COVID-friendly precautions that were almost touchless. They knocked it about half a day and worked with us to determine preference for ride height. They provided photos of setup and followed up to make sure we were satisfied. Real solid customer service that kept us updated along the way. The payoff is amazing.! Smooth as glass at low and fwy speeds and softens those harsh jolts, but I was expecting a trade-off on overall handling. I anticipated added body roll and some delay in response when turning in or changing direction. Zero, zip, squat. I don’t sense any trade-off at all. It is the best of both worlds IMHO. Their kit is adjustable and the remote knobs under the frunk top cover are convenient, although they have them setup so well we don’t see the need to adjust anything now. Highly recommended.!1"

Reactions: gdayinla