Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for softer ride

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure either, but I was hoping to see some revised part numbers. In most of the Fische's I've looked through in the past they list the original part number but will not let you select it, then they list the superceeded part number, which you can order. Seems Tesla just list the current part number, so there's no real way to tell if it was updated or not.
Could be the letter designator at the end of the part number is a revision reference
i.e. A, B ,C etc..

I heard from a Tesla tech that they are gonna release an air suspension upgrade ! Thank you Elon! I should have never doubted the vibe . Mine was an early 2020 model y performance. It’s literally crushing my back and feels like a pogo stick on every pot hole or speed bump ! Will do anything to get it smoother , especially the back seat I’m afraid it is hurting my baby coz no matter how I stabilize it, it feels as bad as galloping on a horse back there, I’ve never in my life driven a car this rough . And this is with my other car being a Porsche Boxster low to the ground. If Tesla can solve this issue , then I will dedicate my life to praising the exalted one Elon musk

Reactions: Carlvs and sleepies
I heard from a Tesla tech that they are gonna release an air suspension upgrade ! Thank you Elon! I should have never doubted the vibe . Mine was an early 2020 model y performance. It’s literally crushing my back and feels like a pogo stick on every pot hole or speed bump ! Will do anything to get it smoother , especially the back seat I’m afraid it is hurting my baby coz no matter how I stabilize it, it feels as bad as galloping on a horse back there, I’ve never in my life driven a car this rough . And this is with my other car being a Porsche Boxster low to the ground. If Tesla can solve this issue , then I will dedicate my life to praising the exalted one Elon musk

Hey MG, do you know the time frame on Tesla releasing an air suspension option/upgrade for the Y? Soon, in a few months, or a year from now? Thanks for letting us know what you’ve heard.

My current Lexus lease is up end of December and I’m trying to decide if I can live with the Y’s suspension or just get another Lexus RX. An air option would solve this as I think the X and S air suspension is comfortable. I’d rather wait for one if we know they are going to fix this stiff suspension with either air or a comfortable shock/spring combo. I’d be happy with an X but it’s out of my budget.

I’m coming from a Lexus RX and I’m very happy with the suspension comfort in that car. It’s not air, just regular dampers and springs and it’s great. It’s dialed in just about perfectly. The last thing I want is to get into a Y and have it ride like a buck board. I test drove a Y this summer and thought it was way too stiff and I drove the one with the 19” wheels. I was excited to hear about the 2021’s possibly getting soft springs from one of the last posters and the possibility of an air suspension too.

I just can’t understand why tesla would put in such a stiff uncomfortable suspension in an suv? For goodness sake make the car comfortable, if someone wanted a sports car they’d buy one. Make an suv a comfortable cruiser suv. I’m not buying it to carve canyons and zip around corners. Suspension isn’t rocket science they should have gotten this right from the start. From the threads about folks wanting a more comfortable suspension it seems there’s lots of folks wanting this too. It must be bad if 2 companies have invested in making an aftermarket suspension to replace Tesla’s factory suspension. None of us should have to spend an extra 3k on comfort coilovers to make the car smooth.

I’m sure hoping that Tesla provides an air option on the Y or at the very least the 2021 suspension is a new and improved Softer/comfortable version. If anyone else has any more insight into the possible air suspension option, or any other information on the softer 2021 springs please post up. Thanks all!

It would be the most genius move in automotive business history to release a paid air suspension retrofit upgrade after the no test drive and roughness . All hail Tesla, they won’t let us first adopters down because it would discourage future first adopters, but if they pull this off it’s gonna really be taking their paradigm shifting upgrade your car model to the next level : a level of comfort, air, riding on clouds! Finally smooth rides are ahead of us boys

Reactions: sleepies

So, if Tesla offers an air suspension on new cars, would it be retrofittable on an old Y?

Albeit an air suspension upgrade would be great, I don't know how they realistically will offer that (with labor) for less than $5-6K. Probably better to sell my Y and get a 2021.

I'm more interested in whether they changed the ride quality without air suspension for 2021 model year. If that is the case, I'll be all kinds of asking the SC to swap out with the new springs and if necessary the dampers. If this is another M3 ride quality "oops, we'll change out your springs" scenario, with enough folks complaining about the ride quality, I'm looking for goodwill here.

I'm at the point where we are taking alternate routes now because my family can't stand the ride quality. And therefore, my life quality begins to suffer. I've learned to "live with it", but at this price point, this is unacceptable, or at least this should have been the performance suspension. I can't imaging how rough the actual performance suspension must be!

Mountain Pass Performance luxury coilovers are out of pre-order stage and entering production.

“We are happy to announce that the Model Y coilovers are ready for production now and we can now ask for you to complete your order, allowing us to put you in the production schedule at the German factory!”

Albeit an air suspension upgrade would be great, I don't know how they realistically will offer that (with labor) for less than $5-6K. Probably better to sell my Y and get a 2021.

I'm more interested in whether they changed the ride quality without air suspension for 2021 model year. If that is the case, I'll be all kinds of asking the SC to swap out with the new springs and if necessary the dampers. If this is another M3 ride quality "oops, we'll change out your springs" scenario, with enough folks complaining about the ride quality, I'm looking for goodwill here.

I'm at the point where we are taking alternate routes now because my family can't stand the ride quality. And therefore, my life quality begins to suffer. I've learned to "live with it", but at this price point, this is unacceptable, or at least this should have been the performance suspension. I can't imaging how rough the actual performance suspension must be!
I'm curious if you don't mind posting your approx vin that feels like this. I test drove a y today (now since there is no return policy) I got a bit more nervous. The bumps didn't feel that bad. I was a bit nervous about that too but it passed my smell check. I'm not sure if maybe you have a really early vin and that's why it's that big an issue.

Well, I'm holding off on the MPP and UPP suspension options right now, and I took the plunge and purchased a set of Vredestein Quatrac Pro from Tirerack. If anything, they will be a better non-dedicated winter tire than the stock Continentals, and the price is absurdly low for a set. I have the same Vredesteins on my Eurovan camper, and they completely transformed the ride quality of that vehicle, and their wet/snow traction, in my opinion, is unmatched. I've driven Michelin, Goodyear, Continentals and in my experience, Vredestein outperforms them all in bad weather. Continentals have been the worst tires I have ever driven across all brands of cars I've owned, VWs, Subaru, BMW and now Tesla. Check out some of the scary customer pics and reviews for the Continental ProContact RX in Tirerack. I can't un-see those pics and I do a good deal of long-distance travel with my family in the MY, and I've already had one flat with the stock Continentals. Any drive comfort improvement will be welcome, of course.

Meanwhile, I'll keep my hopes mildly up for a factory air suspension upgrade for the MY :)

Reading old Tesla model 3 threads, they apparently did free retrofit on early VIN suspensions .

talking to other people from service, and reading about model S people who waited for air suspension retrofits, I’m giving up. Tempted to use as much influence and spread as much awareness to my friends to buyer beware on model Y, also tempted to just order a Mountainpass comfort coil over. A lot of people say don’t expect night and day difference.

after this I’m gonna get a Mercedes S series or a Model S or X, or mountainpass smh

From at least one person, it sounds like the UP luxury made a huge difference. But I haven't heard of anyone else who's gotten the latest version of their suspension installed.

I'm going to wait to see what people think of the Mountainpass version, and get a set then.

I also know Redwood Motorsports is also making their own. Lots of options soon!

Reading old Tesla model 3 threads, they apparently did free retrofit on early VIN suspensions .

talking to other people from service, and reading about model S people who waited for air suspension retrofits, I’m giving up. Tempted to use as much influence and spread as much awareness to my friends to buyer beware on model Y, also tempted to just order a Mountainpass comfort coil over. A lot of people say don’t expect night and day difference.

after this I’m gonna get a Mercedes S series or a Model S or X, or mountainpass smh

Yes, I had one of the early 3's that were offered suspension upgrade and it did make a big improvement. The difference is that there were only one or two thousand 3's that came with the stiff suspension. With the Y, there are tens of thousands with this stiff suspension. I.e., it'll be too expensive for Tesla to offer a change.

I ended up making final payment on the MPP comfort coilovers today.

Same here, I really cannot imagine how harsh the MYP vehicles are compared to the long range. I already cringe every time I see a bump. TBH I'm not really enthused about having to spend an additional $2-3K to have a decent ride in my brand new car. I was hoping the suspension would settle in, but it's really not.