Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, this is crazy, but I'm considering getting a Model S based on my recent luck with TSLA stock and options. My plan was to wait for 3 or 4 years but the stock went up WAY too quick and my wife is now coercing me to put in a reservation and that has totally killed my self restraint. I'm not sure why she is doing this to me, maybe it's because my Prius C is too slow and takes us forever to get places as I maximize my MPGs...

Before I throw all caution to the wind I figure it would be smart to take a ride in a Model S as the only Model S I've seen in person was as one zipped by me for about 15 seconds. We were thinking of making a weekend trip to Florida to the gallery there even though it's a 9 hour drive for us one way.

Rather than drive all the way to Florida, is there anyone closer with a Model S that would be willing to take us for a short ride if we come to you? We can arrange for monetary compensation or take you out for dinner or something. We live in the Charleston, SC area and are willing to drive anywhere within a couple hours, so I'm thinking Columbia, Aiken, Myrtle Beach, etc, or across the border to Savannah or Augusta, Georgia.

Please respond quick before my wife changes her mind! (j/k) Thanks.

"Give in. Make your wife happy."

When you have the opportunity to follow this advice and make yourself giddy, do it.

Here we go again... another one on the ledge. Right B-man?

Let us (junkies) help -- you will not regret it. And remember... a happy wife, is a happy life!
(this from my brother who isn't married, btw)

Thanks guys! I wasn't in the ledge until my wife put me there. I've been very cautious with my money (with the exception of my TSLA investment) as I will be job hunting next summer. Having a Model S and no job would be embarrassing but my wife pointed out that if we buy a Model S we won't be any worse off than if I had never invested in TSLA in the first place, haha.

This is the map of reservation holders, a voluntary map of course, which shows 3 in the Charleston area. You could try to do a little sleuthing and link res #'s to TMC members for a direct request. I think also there is a pretty active Atlanta area group you could try to get in touch with. I would suggest going ahead and making the reservation before your wife changes her mind. It's only $2500 now and you could work on a test drive while you're waiting, although it looks like the wait isn't nearly as long now. I did my test drive a month after reserving and it did nothing but strengthen my desire for the car.

Tesla Model S X Reservations and Deliveries

This is the map of reservation holders, a voluntary map of course, which shows 3 in the Charleston area. You could try to do a little sleuthing and link res #'s to TMC members for a direct request. I think also there is a pretty active Atlanta area group you could try to get in touch with. I would suggest going ahead and making the reservation before your wife changes her mind. It's only $2500 now and you could work on a test drive while you're waiting, although it looks like the wait isn't nearly as long now. I did my test drive a month after reserving and it did nothing but strengthen my desire for the car.

Tesla Model S X Reservations and Deliveries

I found one of those guys on the map through some forum searching but I didn't want to cold call (cold message?) someone and make them feel obligated in any way but rather leave it open here...Now that I'm typing this it seems silly to think that way?

Yeah, it really wouldn't hurt to reserve now considering it's fully refundable until finalization. Seeing one in person and getting to go for a ride would help me decide whether I want it NOW or if I can wait until TSLA goes up to $120, haha. I don't plan on selling any of my stock yet but would be selling a lot of my options...It still doesn't feel right putting so much money into a depreciating asset but it's not just any old car!

Thanks for the help!

just remember that if you do take the S on road trips over 300 miles in a day without 70A or superchargers you will be driving as slow as a Prius potentially.
My last 245 mile leg ended with 2 miles of freeway 35~45 mph speeds:scared:my wife was geting a 'little'worried

lots of hills + trying to draft with a cross wind some,doesn't help

just remember that if you do take the S on road trips over 300 miles in a day without 70A or superchargers you will be driving as slow as a Prius potentially.

We will still keep a gasser around. Once the SC network is fully deployed AND the finances work out we will switch over to an S and X.

EDIT: Sorry for not thanking you for your advice!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for reading but I have found a Model S owner who is willing to show it to me later today. Only a half hour drive away too, perfect!

I have the appropriate license plate holder. Next step, scrounging up enough money and making the budget work :D
20130604_115851.jpg

Jonathan, just a couple of thoughts on the Model S. Once you drive one your toast, I can only give you some advice in regards to spending the money needed to have one. Life is short and if you wait to do things that you think you cannot do now, you could end up never doing them. You will see when you drive this machine that it is worth spending the money there is nothing out there like it and I will not rehash everything that has been said. Have fun!!!

Wow. Just wow.

I told my wife last night that I was going to assume that I was going to be underwhelmed/disappointed as I spend an unhealthy amount of time every day reading the Tesla forums, news articles, following the stock price, etc. From the time I wake up until I go to bed I have to stay on top of it all. There was just no way that the car could live up to everything I've been building it up to be.

From the first second I saw the White Model S glide towards me until I saw it zoom off at the end of everything it felt like I was in a dream. Everything about it was amazing. And the acceleration...I tested it out by going from 50 mph to a very high number going up the Ravenel bridge (decently steep) in like 3 seconds. My car dies just trying to make it to the top...And it was "only" the standard edition, not performance! The only thing faster than the Model S is probably my heart each time the accelerator pedal got pressed. Like everyone has said I am now toast. You were all so right. My Prius C feels like a dinosaur...I can keep going on forever with it's awesomeness but it's the same as what everyone else has written, haha.

I was hoping for just a ride and not at all expecting to drive it, too! Many thanks to the gentleman who was so generous with his time and his car. I am oh so very thankful. My wallet is the opposite of thankful ;)

One more thing, I was almost late to our meetup because I forgot I needed gas...The irony!!!