Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some straight answers on Model 3 Performance Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So, like a noob, I didn't realize the Model 3 Performance that I ordered only comes with summer tires. I have a few questions.

1) Is it true you can't drive the Pirellis that come stock under 45 degrees? Or is it 20? We're in the middle of season change here so it matters...

2) I just want to put a 20 inch all season tire on the car, understanding I might lose a bit of range. Is the go to the Michelin Pilot? Based on the website, Michelin is suggesting the Primacy MXM4, but I'm not sure if any reason to spring for those.

3) Will Tesla put the new tires on the car if I bring them to the service center? I'd rather Tesla do it than a shop.

Thanks so much for helping me with my stupid mistake! Just looking for an easy solution....
Under 45F you really shouldnt be driving summer tires.

I've noticed a large portion of the Tesla crowd are first time "car enthusiasts". Like the type who never looked at cars more than an A to B transportation device. It's alright though, we all got to start somewhere right?

But tires are for every car. We have people coming on the forums like they've never driven a car before. OP is fine here but some other posts...

• Funny
Reactions: MODEL+
Here in Canada i drove on the ps4 until it was -10C and when I was making a sharp turn at slow speed the tires would slip. For winter i ran the Michelin pilot alpine 4 which i got from Costco and they are actually Porsche spec so that's nice. I also got wheels from T Sportline TSS 19 inch which looked amazing. One thing i noticed was in dry conditions the tire was very similar to my ps4 in terms of grip, but in snow it was sketchy and acted more like all-seasons. if you are living somewhere where it doesn't snow much i definitely recommend getting the Michelin pile alpine 4.
image0.jpg

i was still able to drive in the worst snowy conditions!

Here in Canada i drove on the ps4 until it was -10C and when I was making a sharp turn at slow speed the tires would slip. For winter i ran the Michelin pilot alpine 4 which i got from Costco and they are actually Porsche spec so that's nice. I also got wheels from T Sportline TSS 19 inch which looked amazing. One thing i noticed was in dry conditions the tire was very similar to my ps4 in terms of grip, but in snow it was sketchy and acted more like all-seasons. if you are living somewhere where it doesn't snow much i definitely recommend getting the Michelin pile alpine 4. View attachment 650450
i was still able to drive in the worst snowy conditions!
Thanks for the info - I'm considering these 20 inch with the uberturnbines. How is your efficiency? Did it improve road noise over the stock tire?

In DC I wouldn’t run the ultra HP tires in the winter. Some winters you would be fine others not so much. Do you have another vehicle you can drive during cold stretches? If so could leave the OEM tires on until they wear out.

If it were me in your shoes I’d pull the OEM summer only tires first thing, sell them and put on all seasons.

I was in the exact position as the OP 2 years ago, put all-season Michelins on the OEM 20 in wheels, and have been just fine driving every day through 2 Chicago winters. No pothole damage or death slides as others predicted in this forum at the time.

I live down the road in Richmond and have had no issues with snow/ice/cold with my stock Michelin PS4s over the past two winters. With the few times we get "real" winter weather, I can't warrant buying winter/all-season tires.
Yeah I agree - it's just more the temperature thing with the stock Pirellis.

I was in the exact position as the OP 2 years ago, put all-season Michelins on the OEM 20 in wheels, and have been just fine driving every day through 2 Chicago winters. No pothole damage or death slides as others predicted in this forum at the time.
Which Michelins did you put on? unfortunately the Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ 235/35zr20 are out of stock on TireRack. :(

Under 45F you really shouldnt be driving summer tires.

I've run summer tires on my cars for 15+ years down here in Texas. Granted it doesn't get very cold here, but we do have the occasional week or so where it can get down into the 20s.

Never had any problems or noticed any difference, at all.

Would I try and track the car in 20 degree weather with summer tires? No. Will it get you back and forth to work safely at temps around freezing? Absolutely. Again Texas is pretty moderate, I'd NOT try this if I lived in say, Chicago.

Tim

yeah not hating on anyone, I just find it surprising that people are just learning about cars in the $50k+ range.

But what you said is true, there's just such an obsession with tire threads on here asking the same questions constantly, over and over. At least the people asking about what type of windshield washer fluid to use are far and few between.
I disagreed with your post because most people are not particularly experienced in the subtleties of wheels and tires. I recall giving fellow Ferrari owners primers on cold and wet driving (FWIW several Ferrari models have the same 20" OEM size as do Model 3 Performance. Many people faced with poor roads (i.e. potholes) and/or inclement weather end out following the choice of @Hilbe and buy 18" wheels that are specifically designed to clear the Model 3 Performance brakes. I did. Ordinarily the MXM's tend to be preferred by many, and are offer4d by T-Sportline already mounted on the wheels, making swapping easy for almost anyone.

For those who live in regularly snowy climes (not the DC area) many are deeply devoted to Nokian tires. They are sometimes hard to find but I've yet to meet someone who regrets them for winter.

Nobody I know thinks it is a good idea to drive in winter or poor roads on low-profile tires of any size. Both tires and wheels end out the victim of road hazards. That's especially true for heavier and high performance cars, like all Teslas. I replaced wheels and tires twice in such situations. After that I swapped out for smaller wheels, and higher profile tires. Not so sexy perhaps, but vastly cheaper and more durable.

Reactions: Hilbe
I've run summer tires on my cars for 15+ years down here in Texas. Granted it doesn't get very cold here, but we do have the occasional week or so where it can get down into the 20s.

Never had any problems or noticed any difference, at all.

Would I try and track the car in 20 degree weather with summer tires? No. Will it get you back and forth to work safely at temps around freezing? Absolutely. Again Texas is pretty moderate, I'd NOT try this if I lived in say, Chicago.

Tim
thankfully in europe the law sorts this out for you so we can continue to enjoy driving much faster than the USA with less accident rates.
They will not get you back and forth to work safely at consistent temperatures around freezing. that is why it is mandatory to mount winter tires in europe from oct till april (depending on country).

thankfully in europe the law sorts this out for you so we can continue to enjoy driving much faster than the USA with less accident rates.
They will not get you back and forth to work safely at consistent temperatures around freezing. that is why it is mandatory to mount winter tires in europe from oct till april (depending on country).

I’ll take my freedom, thanks!

Tim

Reactions: n2fooz and JDMerica
Just to clear up a few things. The performance tires are made of a compound that is extra soft and sticky in normal temperatures, but they get hard in the cold and lose their performance. Winter tires are designed to be softer in cold weather. The tread patterns are also different to accommodate ice and snow vs. just rain. So, without a doubt summer/performance tires are not nearly as good in cold weather or snow/ice. The other reason it isn't recommended, and I haven't seen anyone bring this up is that below the rated temperature the tires can develop cracks if you drive on them. Look up the specs and it will say that if the tires go below that temp, they need to be slowly brought back up to a normal temperature and sit for a certain amount of time before you can drive on them.

That being said I believe the 4Ss have that limit around 20 degrees, which is pretty cold for where I live. I have driven summer performance tires (Goodyear Eagle F1, Pilot Super Sport, and most recently the Pilot Sport 4S) year round in winter, including snow. They slip and slide but its nothing you can't manage if you drive cautiously and understand that your traction is limited.

Not sure where you're located but if you get harsh winters and regularly have temps below 20F, I would recommend getting some all season tires or investing in a cheap set of winter wheels/tires.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Just to clear up a few things. The performance tires are made of a compound that is extra soft and sticky in normal temperatures, but they get hard in the cold and lose their performance. Winter tires are designed to be softer in cold weather. The tread patterns are also different to accommodate ice and snow vs. just rain. So, without a doubt summer/performance tires are not nearly as good in cold weather or snow/ice. The other reason it isn't recommended, and I haven't seen anyone bring this up is that below the rated temperature the tires can develop cracks if you drive on them. Look up the specs and it will say that if the tires go below that temp, they need to be slowly brought back up to a normal temperature and sit for a certain amount of time before you can drive on them.

That being said I believe the 4Ss have that limit around 20 degrees, which is pretty cold for where I live. I have driven summer performance tires (Goodyear Eagle F1, Pilot Super Sport, and most recently the Pilot Sport 4S) year round in winter, including snow. They slip and slide but its nothing you can't manage if you drive cautiously and understand that your traction is limited.

Not sure where you're located but if you get harsh winters and regularly have temps below 20F, I would recommend getting some all season tires or investing in a cheap set of winter wheels/tires.

Exactly right. Here in Texas we average 10 days a year where temperatures dip below freezing. Summer tires start to loose some performance/grip at about 45 degrees. On the handful of days I actually drive when temperatures are low, I just take it easy. No cracking damage will occur unless the temps drop below 20, which is like next to never around here. As for snow and ice, I don't drive on snow and ice. Too many fools on the road to risk it, I just work from home those days or take my Wife's SUV. Certainly don't need European style laws to ban summer tires in the winter months to keep us all safe, just be smart about it.

Tim