Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some straight answers on Model 3 Performance Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

So, like a noob, I didn't realize the Model 3 Performance that I ordered only comes with summer tires. I have a few questions.

1) Is it true you can't drive the Pirellis that come stock under 45 degrees? Or is it 20? We're in the middle of season change here so it matters...

2) I just want to put a 20 inch all season tire on the car, understanding I might lose a bit of range. Is the go to the Michelin Pilot? Based on the website, Michelin is suggesting the Primacy MXM4, but I'm not sure if any reason to spring for those.

3) Will Tesla put the new tires on the car if I bring them to the service center? I'd rather Tesla do it than a shop.

Thanks so much for helping me with my stupid mistake! Just looking for an easy solution....

1) 45 degrees weather you'll be fine. 20 degrees, you may want to look into it. If you see ice or snow, don't risk it.

2) Putting on all seasons to replace your summer tires will actually increase your range. This is the key difference in the advertised range when comparing LR AWD and Performance. Summer tires will provide better grip, under the right circumstances, but range is the trade off.

3)Tesla can do it, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a competent tire shop.

I'm in the same situation. Even with 20s the profile of the tire are not great for the colder climates - pot holes will eat those uberturbines alive. I ordered a second set of wheels - 18s - that'll fit from Tsportline. Will put them on myself every cold season.

Reactions: android04
If you see any amount of snow or ice on a regular basis I would buy a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels. That way you can swap wheels quickly and not have to remount tires every season. Personally to me All Season tires are “No Season” tires. Not that great in snow and ice and not that great traction when dry especially on a performance car.

1) 45 degrees weather you'll be fine. 20 degrees, you may want to look into it. If you see ice or snow, don't risk it.

2) Putting on all seasons to replace your summer tires will actually increase your range. This is the key difference in the advertised range when comparing LR AWD and Performance. Summer tires will provide better grip, under the right circumstances, but range is the trade off.

3)Tesla can do it, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a competent tire shop.

Thanks! Do you have a recommended all season tire? I know some folks switch them out each year, but I like to just not have to think about it too much!

Thanks! Do you have a recommended all season tire? I know some folks switch them out each year, but I like to just not have to think about it too much!

What part of US do you live in?
I did a write up on these Toyo Extensa HP II that you can check out.
TLDR - I recommend them but not if you live somewhere, where it rains often because wet traction is no good.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVStuning
What part of US do you live in?
I did a write up on these Toyo Extensa HP II that you can check out.
TLDR - I recommend them but not if you live somewhere, where it rains often because wet traction is no good.

I recently read a report stating that tire manufacturers make their tires differently for EV due to the extra weight of battery laden EV cars. I did not keep a copy of the repot.

Washington DC area
\Geez, after all these years Toyo cannot learn how to make a good tire. Years ago I purchased a new 84 (I think) Dantsun (Nissan)280 Z car that came came shod with Toyo tires. Worst "humid" weather tires I ever drove in my life. Never forgot them!

BTW - We just moved to the Denton TX area from Arlington. How can I edit my personal information?
Thanks!

summer tires don't implode at low temperatures or anything. They just have less performance.

why do people own a $60,000 sports car and not know anything about tires?

I've noticed a large portion of the Tesla crowd are first time "car enthusiasts". Like the type who never looked at cars more than an A to B transportation device. It's alright though, we all got to start somewhere right?

I've noticed a large portion of the Tesla crowd are first time "car enthusiasts". Like the type who never looked at cars more than an A to B transportation device. It's alright though, we all got to start somewhere right?

yeah not hating on anyone, I just find it surprising that people are just learning about cars in the $50k+ range.

But what you said is true, there's just such an obsession with tire threads on here asking the same questions constantly, over and over. At least the people asking about what type of windshield washer fluid to use are far and few between.

yeah not hating on anyone, I just find it surprising that people are just learning about cars in the $50k+ range.

But what you said is true, there's just such an obsession with tire threads on here asking the same questions constantly, over and over. At least the people asking about what type of windshield washer fluid to use are far and few between.
Since you brought up windshield washer fluid,.................just kidding.

Since you brought up windshield washer fluid,.................just kidding.

It was said in jest, but I have screenshots of a fb group where the guy was asking if he needed to take it into the service center for a refill or if he could just buy stuff at a store and use it.

What about blinker fluid though? :D