Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some straight answers on Model 3 Performance Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just didn’t realize they didn’t put all seasons on this car because it didn’t say it anywhere on the website. I’m not an idiot.

Based on reading other posts on this forum, there is a lot of back and forth about what tires are best to put on it in the winter or on a permanent basis, so just looking if anyone has a clear go to that is safe.

I just didn’t realize they didn’t put all seasons on this car because it didn’t say it anywhere on the website. I’m not an idiot.

Based on reading other posts on this forum, there is a lot of back and forth about what tires are best to put on it in the winter or on a permanent basis, so just looking if anyone has a clear go to that is safe.

Tires are subjective matter.
Also, it's quite dependent on your driving habits and climate in your area, therefore there's no "straight" answer for it.

Tires are subjective matter.
Also, it's quite dependent on your driving habits and climate in your area, therefore there's no "straight" answer for it.
It looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires 20 inch might be the way to go for those who don’t have extreme winter weather but might get caught in snow once or twice a year. Also if I understand correctly, these will fit the Uberturnbines, so for those who don’t want to drop the size, these work.

It looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires 20 inch might be the way to go for those who don’t have extreme winter weather but might get caught in snow once or twice a year. Also if I understand correctly, these will fit the Uberturnbines, so for those who don’t want to drop the size, these work.
Highly recommend those

Reactions: XPsionic
Hi all,

So, like a noob, I didn't realize the Model 3 Performance that I ordered only comes with summer tires. I have a few questions.

1) Is it true you can't drive the Pirellis that come stock under 45 degrees? Or is it 20? We're in the middle of season change here so it matters...

2) I just want to put a 20 inch all season tire on the car, understanding I might lose a bit of range. Is the go to the Michelin Pilot? Based on the website, Michelin is suggesting the Primacy MXM4, but I'm not sure if any reason to spring for those.

3) Will Tesla put the new tires on the car if I bring them to the service center? I'd rather Tesla do it than a shop.

Thanks so much for helping me with my stupid mistake! Just looking for an easy solution....

1) Summer tires should not be driven in under 45F temperatures because the rubber gets hard and grip decreases.
2) The MXM4 will give you the most range but less grip, the Pilot Sport All Season 4 people like. The all seasons should give MORE range than summers.
3) They only put tires on that they sell. So yes, you can pay them to put on new tires for you.

Reactions: RefreshedP
Thanks everyone for the information. If I go with the all sports, does anyone know what size is needed? I saw the below somewhere but honestly not sure what’s reliable.

front) 235/35R20
(rear) 275/30R20
Not 100% sure but I don't think the performance model comes with staggered tires.
I'd get the 245/35/20's. Just a smidge more sidewall and curb rash protection. Difference in overall diameter is negligible and you won't have any rubbing/fitment issues. You also get a good bump in load rating, which is a good thing for the 3's weight.

Not 100% sure but I don't think the performance model comes with staggered tires.
I'd get the 245/35/20's. Just a smidge more sidewall and curb rash protection. Difference in overall diameter is negligible and you won't have any rubbing/fitment issues. You also get a good bump in load rating, which is a good thing for the 3's weight.

That's super helpful - thanks.

Get a set of 18”s for winter…the wheels and tires will likely cost you about the same as the 20” all season tires. These ones I got look decent, I actually like them better than the Uberturbines.

E8B2CCB6-6BDA-4996-8B90-706105677666.jpeg

OP, I'm in Chicago and I'm supposed to take delivery this month, so we have about the same weather. I'm going to ride out the summer tires until about October and then switch them out for all-season 20's. Like you, I'm not going to take the time and effort to run with winters. All-seasons are more than good enough.

The best all-season 20's that I've found is the Vredestein Quatrac Pro 245-35R20. Tirerack has them for about $160/tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...erformance&autoModClar=w/Chrome Exterior Trim

The only other all-season tire rack has that would work well is the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 235-35R20. Doesn't get as good reviews and comes in at $247/tire. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...erformance&autoModClar=w/Chrome Exterior Trim

Hope that helps

This. Get 245 a/s from tire rack. I just went the rough this drill. There are multiple options in the 245/35 size.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. What are the advantages of 235 over 245/35/20? Tire rack guy says they can only guarantee 235 will work, but I assume 245 are totally fine based on some posts.

I have never loved Pirelli tires but they are now mounted on the M3P (I have always preferred Michelin I had on the 2020 M3P)
I had my 2021 M3P last Thursday and I have to say (after around 1,000km) that these new PZero Elect tires are truly "remarkable". The wall of the tire is stiff and the car has fantastic cornering with
high level road holding even in temperatures around 40 degrees F (5-6 C). I am really amazed by these tires, I am curious to understand the degradation afterwards 15,000 / 20,000 Km . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
I have never loved Pirelli tires but they are now mounted on the M3P (I have always preferred Michelin I had on the 2020 M3P)
I had my 2021 M3P last Thursday and I have to say (after around 1,000km) that these new PZero Elect tires are truly "remarkable". The wall of the tire is stiff and the car has fantastic cornering with
high level road holding even in temperatures around 40 degrees F (5-6 C). I am really amazed by these tires, I am curious to understand the degradation afterwards 15,000 / 20,000 Km . . .
I've heard decent things also - good to hear. I'm basically going to drive them all summer and then as we get into September, I'll probably buy the Pilot Sport 235's.