Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for some wisdom for choosing 75D vs 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in the same boat a month ago. I didn't want to pay the premium for the 100, so I picked up a loaner model. Essentially got the 100D for the price of the 75D and still will receive the $7.5k tax credit. I couldn't be happier with the decision, especially since I have a charging solution similar to yours currently.

Reactions: P85_DA and PrGrPa
Definitely the 75D.
It’s identical to the 100D in every way (that matters).
To clarify, for the person who disagreed:
The 75D is the same as the 100D on these points:
  1. Same manufacturer.
  2. Physically identical exterior.
  3. Physically identical interior.
  4. Same software, same nav, same streaming.
  5. Same MCU hardware.
  6. Same dash display.
  7. Same charge port, adapters, supercharger access, home charging speed.
  8. Same suspension, handling, driving feel.
The 100D has these advantages.
  1. Goes a bit further on a charge.
  2. Slightly better performance.
You have to spend tens of thousands of dollars for those advantages. The range advantage might save you a few hours over the life of the vehicle, depending on how many long road trips you do, and the supercharging infrastructure (which is constanly growing).
The performance boost is nice, but the 75D is already lightning quick.

As I said, I love my 75D. When I give someone a ride for the first time, I always point out it's a slow Tesla, just before I floor it.

That said, in my mind the advantage of the 100D is faster SuperCharging and longer (start-of-trip) range. We do significant road trips and I feel the extra cost would have been worth it (for us).

(and I'm not talking about a P100D).

• Funny
Reactions: MarkKW
Add to the advantages 3. Faster supercharging in miles per time charged.

Add to disadvantages 1. Is slightly heavier

technically yes but since the 100D battery is larger, it does need to charge faster to gain just as much %. The 75 and 100 batteries charge to 80% in roughly the same amount of time.

The actual difference between charging sessions on long road trips is somewhere between 10-25 minutes. Depending on how many road trips you take a year, is saving that little time worth $16,500? probably not. I valued it where I would have to supercharge everyday in order for the 100 battery to be worth it. And I rarely supercharge, maybe once a month

To clarify, for the person who disagreed:

I always love the people who click disagree and then don't even bother telling you why.

I have 75D. The one scenario I see where I wish I had the 100D which I have had a couple of times is travelling distances of one way of 90-100 miles somewhere.

To elucidate, recent trip to a beach town about 100 miles away. So right off the bat I need 200 miles at least which equals to 210 -220 or so to be on safe side. And if I ended up doing trips around the town would end up cutting it close. So I had to supercharge 30 miles into my trip to keep enough in reserve to be able to drive around town as needed.

I have had the above a few time where I have driven 100 or so miles one way. End up needing supercharging whereas with 100D I would not have.

I live in North east, so enough superchargers around for it to not make too much of a difference but still wish had paid 10000$ extra for a loaner/inventory 100D.

Reactions: P85_DA
I have 75D. The one scenario I see where I wish I had the 100D which I have had a couple of times is travelling distances of one way of 90-100 miles somewhere.

To elucidate, recent trip to a beach town about 100 miles away. So right off the bat I need 200 miles at least which equals to 210 -220 or so to be on safe side. And if I ended up doing trips around the town would end up cutting it close. So I had to supercharge 30 miles into my trip to keep enough in reserve to be able to drive around town as needed.

I have had the above a few time where I have driven 100 or so miles one way. End up needing supercharging whereas with 100D I would not have.

I live in North east, so enough superchargers around for it to not make too much of a difference but still wish had paid 10000$ extra for a loaner/inventory 100D.

How often are you taking these trips though? Unless you're making the trip more than 4 times a month, I dont believe the 20 min charging stop is worth spending $16,500 to skip.

I used to but after owning the car for over a year there hasn't been a problem. a lot of times people dont know what a Tesla is so dont realize what they're looking at.

Is Baton Rouge a rich neighborhood? I'm talking something like this:

upload_2018-7-9_20-26-27.png

When I'm driving or walking around, I can spot a Tesla shape right away. Some people give zero ****s around here and just bang their door into my car when they open their door.

Fair enough, man. Anaheim has its expensive neighborhoods and poor neighborhoods, though. I guess it's like that everywhere.
Door songs happen in the best of neighbourhoods too. Just try park as far away as possible and in the end bay to mitigate your risks to only 1 door! The 75D is the best options for you! Drop me a message if you need a referral !

Reactions: mburnet6
technically yes but since the 100D battery is larger, it does need to charge faster to gain just as much %. The 75 and 100 batteries charge to 80% in roughly the same amount of time.
While they charge to 80% in roughly the same amount of time, the distance you get out of that charge is roughly 33% more. That's a big difference.

The actual difference between charging sessions on long road trips is somewhere between 10-25 minutes. Depending on how many road trips you take a year, is saving that little time worth $16,500? probably not.
I'm doing a 750 mile round trip this coming weekend. My wife already suggested twice that we take the CRV so that we don't need to spend time charging.

For this trip, we have 2 stops with 40 minutes (probably 38) of charging, vs. 1 stop with 17 minutes of charging - each way (we'll charge overnight to 100% at the destination). And it's not just the charging time - each stop adds 5-10 minutes just to get to/from the SC depending upon how close it's located to the highway.
75D.PNG
100D.PNG

Is making my wife happier taking trips in the car worth $16K? IMHO, yes.

I road trip regularly in my 70D. Completely doable and 19 Mile less range than the 75D.
+1 The only place that I wished for more range than my 70D was in Murdo, SD. Unfortunately, driving 85 mph into a 20 mph headwind means an absolute mandatory stop before trying the 140 mi leg to Rapid City. Actually, let me correct that: I didn't need more than 70 KWh, I just needed it to fill FASTER.;)