Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for someone who could lend me or rent his Tesla in Montreal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I was going to borrow a friends Model S, I have coverage for non owned vehicles on my policy but I checked with my insurance company and there is a 60k maximum so I was out of luck

BTW I only skimmed the beginning but I thought he wanted to borrow a car for graduation ceremony...

But a few day road trip to Quebec City?

I wouldn’t dare ask a friend for that never mind a stranger.

Last edited:
Reactions: adaptabl
Thank you for the support

I mean, maybe you wouldn’t, but maybe someone would. I understand the risk, and I also understand that you, personally would be scared, but I’ve driven other peoples car before, could have been a Tesla, a Rolls-Royce, it doesn’t matter if my I insurance is covering that, (It’s article 27 here is Quebec) which it does.

Again, thank you very much for your help

Your FAQ27 need to be higher than the value of car you are "borowing". My insurance only offer a maximum value of 50k and a friend of mine owning a MS also is capped at 50k. No way to have it raised to 80k+..

It's against all logic but I own a model 3, Im insured for a Model 3, but we can cover a borrowed one..

Before lending or giving a test drive to anyone, we now consider if we are willing to accept the consequences (higher cost of insuring after a reclamation) for that person..

Reactions: adaptabl
Hello everyone,

I have a special request for you guys! In May, I will finish my Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering at Polytechnique Montréal. On this occasion, a ceremony and a banquet were organized by the school to highlight the efforts of students. These activities will take place at the Hotel l’Entourage sur-le-Lac in Quebec City from May 4th to 6th inclusively.

Currently living in Montreal, I’ve always been passionate about the Tesla and in order to emphasize this opportunity in my own way, I wondered if any of you (Tesla owner) would have the possibility and the will, of course, to lend me his Tesla for these 3 days. I would be willing to pay a certain amount for the “rental”, unless one of you wants to give me a small graduation gift!

I have already driven several Model S as well as Model X and I am planning to order a Model 3, so nothing to fear in terms of operations, features or charging.

I have obviously thought of looking at sites such as Turo and other companies, only, most have age restrictions, and do not take into account my knowledge or my passion for those beautiful cars, plus it seems like the price is exorbitant.

I thank you in advance. Do not hesitate to contact me in private if you want.

Again, thank you and have a nice one!

Congratulations on your graduation!
We wish we could have helped but unfortunately, in the past, we bent the rules and provided the car to a renter under 25 who scratched the car.
Our insurance company dictated that now all drivers now "must" be 25 or over.
To clarify, regarding insurance, yes in Quebec your personal insurance covers you when you borrow a friend's car or if you rent a regular car. The car value they are willing to insure varies from one insurer to another. For example most personal insurance policies in Canada cover your rental car if it is not an exotic car. i.e. if it is worth up to ~60k They will definitely not cover a rental car worth 100k or more. I have not yet seen a company that covers someone for a car over 100,000$. Some will extend to 60k or 80k but they might charge you an extra fee for that 'extra' insurance.
Corporate insurance taken out by the rental companies does cover this (with many stipulations such as age restrictions) so they charge you to use their insurance
Furthermore, insurance in Canada is slightly different from the US where it is a no fault insurance but that is a discussion for another forum.

The high rental price with us or with any exotic car rental is because we/they have to cover the high cost of the car purchase or monthly payments + all other associated costs from operating the business.