TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Looking for switched 12V power along the inside top of rear hatch

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by HankLloydRight, May 21, 2014.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I would like to install a stand-alone dashcam and a rear-facing radar detector on the top of the rear hatch.

Does anyone know of any easily accessible switched 12V source up there I can tap into?

Thanks

2. P100Diddy

P100Diddy Member

3.5 years later... any switched or unswitched power in the rear hatch?

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I don’t think there’s any unswitched 12v sources in the lift-gate itself but there is one in the lower right side of the trunk on one of the several plugs. The one to find provides power to the pistons that raise and lower the lift-gate. To access it one has to remove much of the trim on that side of the trunk. I can provide more details if there is further interest.

• Like x 1
  4. P100Diddy

P100Diddy Member

Yes, please provide details. Thank you! Unswitched is preferable for my interests. Was hoping it would be in the hatch itself, but the trunk side would be ok and better than having to run wire up to the front.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

See these instructions for installing the lighted rear applique -- it operates off of the 12v power source. Specifics are on page 12 of the document and there are a number of photos throughout.

• Like x 2