Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for the best screen mounted phone holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just purchased my first Tesla: a 2019 Model 3. I’m loving my new-for-me car, but I’m trying to find the best phone mount. I’m looking for something that mounts to the screen and is STABLE, and by that I mean doesn’t shake with normal road vibrations and bumps. I currently have a Topfit holder with the metal adjustment arm which I bought from Amazon. It’s shown below:

40DFAF96-AAD9-40A3-89A7-1687E282D16F.jpeg

I also replaced the stock holder shown with one from EXELIQ as that stock holder is pretty Mickey Mouse. The result is the best option I’ve found so far, but the metal bar is attached to a relatively sloppy plastic tab on the back of the “screen shroud” and still wiggles more than I’d like.

Has anyone found a better screen mount option with an emphasis on rigidity?

Thank you for your time!

Alex

Hello,

I just purchased my first Tesla: a 2019 Model 3. I’m loving my new-for-me car, but I’m trying to find the best phone mount. I’m looking for something that mounts to the screen and is STABLE, and by that I mean doesn’t shake with normal road vibrations and bumps. I currently have a Topfit holder with the metal adjustment arm which I bought from Amazon. It’s shown below:

View attachment 921626

I also replaced the stock holder shown with one from EXELIQ as that stock holder is pretty Mickey Mouse. The result is the best option I’ve found so far, but the metal bar is attached to a relatively sloppy plastic tab on the back of the “screen shroud” and still wiggles more than I’d like.

Has anyone found a better screen mount option with an emphasis on rigidity?

Thank you for your time!

Alex
Hey Alex,

Not sure what type of device you are using?

If you have an iPhone with MagSafe capabilities, I would definitely recommend the JOWUA MagSafe mount. You can get it as just a mount, or you can add the charging capability as well. It’s very sleek, folds away hidden, have not had my phone fall off yet during a single drive.

I just did a mini review/install on my YT channel if you’d like to check it out:

Unfortunately if it’s not a MagSafe compatible iPhone, it won’t work for you.

Hope that helps, if I come across any other mounts, I’ll keep you posted!

PauliePucks,

My phone is not MagSafe. It is an iPhone X with an Otterbox Defender case. However, I did look at a JOWUA offering here, which doesn’t require MagSafe and seems like it would be ok with the huge case. I am a little hesitant to get it because it is basically glued to the back of the screen rather than attached to an easily removed ”shroud” as I call it. I’m concerned about it either falling off because the glue’s too weak or having a tough time removing it because the glue’s too strong.

Having said all that, I haven’t removed it from my list of options. If the VHB tape used to secure it isn’t too weak or too strong, I could be convinced to give it a go.

Thank you for your reply!

Alex

Reactions: PauliePucks
Well, if Tesla would simply add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto… problem solved. Unfortunately, from what I’ve read, it seems that’s unlikely to ever happen. I know there are some “boxes” and hacks out there that will “enable” Apple CarPlay and Android Auto through Tesla’s browser, but those solutions seem finicky and rather inelegant.

A bit of a correction on my previous post… looks like that JOWUA doesn’t use VHB tape to secure it, rather an “Ultra-sticky adhesive and washable suction cup”… which sounds even less appealing. If anyone can speak to this, I’m all ears :)
The adhesive isn’t that bad. It’s pretty strong, but it’s removable if necessary. It’s not like a VHB tape, it’s more like a thin coating over the suction cup that promotes a solid bond, it’s designed to be able to be relocated if need be. It does not wiggle or seem loose at all. JOWUA actually makes some good products, across the board, they’re on the pricier side for sure, but I think they’re build quality is solid.

The only other mount I have had, also MagSafe, was the spigen screen corner mount and the vent mount. Both of those were not great, the adhesive was bad too. My phone also fell off those mounts quite a few times.

In my experience, VHB in direct sunlight, esp in the summer (not sure of your loc, might not be too drastic) is always going to have issues, especially when you’re adding the phones weight to the end of it, it’s almost

The adhesive isn’t that bad. It’s pretty strong, but it’s removable if necessary. It’s not like a VHB tape, it’s more like a thin coating over the suction cup that promotes a solid bond, it’s designed to be able to be relocated if need be. It does not wiggle or seem loose at all. JOWUA actually makes some good products, across the board, they’re on the pricier side for sure, but I think their build quality is solid.

In my experience, VHB in direct sunlight, esp in the summer (not sure of your loc, might not be too drastic) is always going to have issues, especially when you’re adding the phones weight to the end of it, it’s almost
I live outside of Dallas, TX. Summers here are HOT HOT HOT. I like the screen “shroud” option a lot, and it works reasonably well with the Topfit I purchased. I just wish that the metal arm was DIRECTLY bolted to the back of the shroud instead of just pushed onto a rather wimpy clip type thing. I got close with this solution, but there’s definite room for improvement.

Reactions: PauliePucks
I live outside of Dallas, TX. Summers here are HOT HOT HOT. I like the screen “shroud” option a lot, and it works reasonably well with the Topfit I purchased. I just wish that the metal arm was DIRECTLY bolted to the back of the shroud instead of just pushed onto a rather wimpy clip type thing. I got close with this solution, but there’s definite room for improvement.
Yeah that heat will definitely mess with any adhesives!

Might have to take matters into your own hands here and Frankenstein some different parts from different kits maybe? I did that with my ambient lighting, nothing was perfect, took combining 2-3 kits to get it where I wanted.

Hope it works out for you!

Might have to take matters into your own hands here and Frankenstein some different parts from different kits maybe? I did that with my ambient lighting, nothing was perfect, took combining 2-3 kits to get it where I wanted.
Too right! I already did that “Frankenstein” deal by using the Exeliq holder instead of the one that came with the TopFit. The ball size was not an exact match, but it was close enough to work. I also looked into some custom RAM options, but didn’t see anything that jumped out at me. If nothing else, I’ll send a message to TopFit and suggest a v3.0 upgrade (the metal bar they’re using is part of their v2.0).

I’m still hoping that one of the readers here will give me a “Eureka” moment ;)

Alex

Magbak is awesome for rigidity. It’s as rigid as the screen due to the corner mount.

It works with MagSafe and Qi. Without a MagSafe phone you’ll just need a MagSafe compatible case. No janky holder mechanisms. Just the magic of magnets. :)

Charges but you can also pull the plug out a bit to not charge, something you can’t do with the built in one.

Magbak is awesome for rigidity. It’s as rigid as the screen due to the corner mount.

It works with MagSafe and Qi. Without a MagSafe phone you’ll just need a MagSafe compatible case. No janky holder mechanisms. Just the magic of magnets. :)

Charges but you can also pull the plug out a bit to not charge, something you can’t do with the built in one.

That looks interesting… I’d have to change out my otterbox case.. but I’m taking a look at options. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: bjhinkle
Not sure this is better than what you have, but does what I want.

Hello, RayRevolver,

I had looked pretty closely at that one. Some of the reviews mentioned that the connector at the back of the screen is weak and is prone to breakage… and a few others stated that the phone “flops around”, which is why I ultimately took a pass on that one in favor of the one I got with a metal connecting arm. Do you find your phone shakes in that mount when underway?

Based on the design, I bet these all shake the same. So far on smooth roads I don't notice shaking. I might have to drive on a dirt road tomorrow and I am sure it will bounce. I wonder if you are worried about the flopping around you could super glue the ball mounts once in position? I didn't like the "look" of the Topfit phone holder so I went with this one.

The Magbak looks good but seems steep at $100 and I don't want/need charging every time I mount the phone. I like Spigen but the few reviews talk about the glue/tape failing and that would apply to a lot of these mounts I see. I also wanted to mount the phone so the top was close to the top of the Tesla screen, not way above it.

Spigen (no charging):

If you can find a local place to return Amazon stuff it might be free to try.

Based on the design, I bet these all shake the same. So far on smooth roads I don't notice shaking. I might have to drive on a dirt road tomorrow and I am sure it will bounce. I wonder if you are worried about the flopping around you could super glue the ball mounts once in position? I didn't like the "look" of the Topfit phone holder so I went with this one.

The Magbak looks good but seems steep at $100 and I don't want/need charging every time I mount the phone. I like Spigen but the few reviews talk about the glue/tape failing and that would apply to a lot of these mounts I see. I also wanted to mount the phone so the top was close to the top of the Tesla screen, not way above it.

Spigen (no charging):

If you can find a local place to return Amazon stuff it might be free to try.
Well, I’m going to keep looking. For now, the one I have will do. Thanks everyone for all the info!