Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for the Lighted Rear Appliqué

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Be careful..
I have one. It has never worked correctly. The turn signals cannot be connected or the right half just stays on all the time. Turn left and the entire kit lights and stays solid. Leaving the turn signals disconnected but brake connected works well for about a day. Then random leds on the applique start to turn on and stay on until the entire unit is reset.
I even had it installed by the same person that is responsible for maintaining the design and has a lot of experience doing applique and lighted T installs.
My MS is a 2017. I understand that the applique works on older models.
I was promised a newly programmed controller. Still waiting for it, months after the install.
In fair disclosure, I paid for the unit, but withheld the install fee until the unit works correctly - which I doubt it ever will.

I'm in the process of building my own controller out of an Arduino Trinket and writing much simpler code. My version wont have all the fancy lighting-effect features, just the strobe/brakes, turns, reverse and a glowing/fading when actually charging. The purchased unit had a similar charging glow feature that is based on a timer and doesn't actually *know* that you are (or are not) charging. It just turns on after some number of minutes. Mine takes signal from the led ring of the charge port.

Lastly, I should mention that I have no intention at all to mass produce or even limit produce my controller. I just like tinkering and have the know-how to do it.

Reactions: kerch2007
Be careful..
I have one. It has never worked correctly. The turn signals cannot be connected or the right half just stays on all the time. Turn left and the entire kit lights and stays solid. Leaving the turn signals disconnected but brake connected works well for about a day. Then random leds on the applique start to turn on and stay on until the entire unit is reset.
I even had it installed by the same person that is responsible for maintaining the design and has a lot of experience doing applique and lighted T installs.
My MS is a 2017. I understand that the applique works on older models.
I was promised a newly programmed controller. Still waiting for it, months after the install.
In fair disclosure, I paid for the unit, but withheld the install fee until the unit works correctly - which I doubt it ever will.

I'm in the process of building my own controller out of an Arduino Trinket and writing much simpler code. My version wont have all the fancy lighting-effect features, just the strobe/brakes, turns, reverse and a glowing/fading when actually charging. The purchased unit had a similar charging glow feature that is based on a timer and doesn't actually *know* that you are (or are not) charging. It just turns on after some number of minutes. Mine takes signal from the led ring of the charge port.

Lastly, I should mention that I have no intention at all to mass produce or even limit produce my controller. I just like tinkering and have the know-how to do it.

OK thanks for the info. Please message me more info on the build of your processor

Hey guys, I am looking for a Lighted Rear Appliqué for the Model S. The website https://ev-acc.com is no longer there. Is there any other place that sells the kit?

Try tesla-lights.net. You'll find them there, along with all of the parts. WattsUp (Jurgen Balitzky) now runs this business.

Having led the original development of the applique, I'm full aware of the problems. As for faulty operation, that usually is the result of a faulty letter board which has had water intrusion or neopixel failures. Jurgen has updated the technology and problems are far less likely.

On my most recent install (I've had all three versions that were developed) I very aggressively used FlexSeal on each the front of each letter as well as the entire PCB. I've had no issues for several years.

Like for others, it's my favorite mod. When the car is parked I always have it on, most often in disco mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki and Joelc
Disco mode please tell me more? I'm waiting for updated version mine had water issues,hoping jurgen has it. Ready soon.

Disco mode is set with the Smartphone bluetooth app. It only works when the car is parked as it would be illegal when moving. It lights each letter in every available color (and there are an infinite number), flashing each letter independently. With the app, you can control the speed of the flashing from your smartphone. It's a very cool effect.

I have the appliqué installed on my Model S. I loved it when it worked. Installed it in Dec and around Feb it started acting up (would not turn off or the T would be white and everything else red, etc). When I would recycle power it would be fine for a few days then go crazy. Could have been water Intrusion but I sealed it pretty well and it did it during dry conditions (I live in California). I emailed Jurgen (Tesla-lights.net) and he offered to troubleshoot the controller. I sent it to him in May and he tested it and found it working fine. We agreed it must be the appliqué (he mentioned they had some problems with the boards and was in the process of redesigning it). Like LMichel I have not heard back from Jurgen since July. He never returned my controller either. I really appreciate him taking over the project but when you spend $600 and have nothing to show it is a little frustrating. I keep sending email and am hoping he will atleast respond with an update. I am willing pay for an upgrade or a replacement appliqué but right now I have an ok looking ‘SLA’ Tesla appliqué. BTW - Rear Lighted T is still working and awesome as well.

Way back when we did have a moisture problem with the boards. It was also found that the smart LED's caused some problems.
The last production run now has a double conformal coating. This has reduced the failures with the light board. The one thing that we never had a problem with was the controller. The software did have a bug that has been corrected.

At some point intake I would like to redesign the light board and use LED's that are build for outside use. That will totally eliminate
failures do to moisture.

I have one of the early ones installed on my X (my X is actually the car on the website). It worked awesome for a while, but I fear I had the water intrusion problem also. Probably going through "laser washes" didn't help much!

I emailed Jurgen a while ago about ordering a replacement light board, as I am anxious to get this up and running again. Very cool mod when it was working. Jurgen, if you are reading this thread, please email me about ordering a replacement light board.

tony c

I have the appliqué installed on my Model S. I loved it when it worked. Installed it in Dec and around Feb it started acting up (would not turn off or the T would be white and everything else red, etc). When I would recycle power it would be fine for a few days then go crazy. Could have been water Intrusion but I sealed it pretty well and it did it during dry conditions (I live in California). I emailed Jurgen (Tesla-lights.net) and he offered to troubleshoot the controller. I sent it to him in May and he tested it and found it working fine. We agreed it must be the appliqué (he mentioned they had some problems with the boards and was in the process of redesigning it). Like LMichel I have not heard back from Jurgen since July. He never returned my controller either. I really appreciate him taking over the project but when you spend $600 and have nothing to show it is a little frustrating. I keep sending email and am hoping he will atleast respond with an update. I am willing pay for an upgrade or a replacement appliqué but right now I have an ok looking ‘SLA’ Tesla appliqué. BTW - Rear Lighted T is still working and awesome as well.

RSPMAN Get ahold of me via the tesla-light.net web site.