Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for the Lighted Rear Appliqué

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My applique' worked for years; I was one of the first installs. Very happy with it. Today, the "L" and "A" seem to have problems (random segments light random colors), so I unplugged it. Just not the same car w/o it so want to get it fixed. Wondering what my options are? Did the controller change, or could I buy new chrome applique' and use the same controller?

Really interested in obtaining this unique accessory. What type of FlexSeal do you recommend using, and where exactly did you apply it on the rear applique?
Wanted to try this since the first type was introduced, but waited as I live abroad in the Netherlands and issues were raised.

Try tesla-lights.net. You'll find them there, along with all of the parts. WattsUp (Jurgen Balitzky) now runs this business.

Having led the original development of the applique, I'm full aware of the problems. As for faulty operation, that usually is the result of a faulty letter board which has had water intrusion or neopixel failures. Jurgen has updated the technology and problems are far less likely.

On my most recent install (I've had all three versions that were developed) I very aggressively used FlexSeal on each the front of each letter as well as the entire PCB. I've had no issues for several years.

Like for others, it's my favorite mod. When the car is parked I always have it on, most often in disco mode.

Be careful..
I have one. It has never worked correctly. The turn signals cannot be connected or the right half just stays on all the time. Turn left and the entire kit lights and stays solid. Leaving the turn signals disconnected but brake connected works well for about a day. Then random leds on the applique start to turn on and stay on until the entire unit is reset.
I even had it installed by the same person that is responsible for maintaining the design and has a lot of experience doing applique and lighted T installs.
My MS is a 2017. I understand that the applique works on older models.
I was promised a newly programmed controller. Still waiting for it, months after the install.
In fair disclosure, I paid for the unit, but withheld the install fee until the unit works correctly - which I doubt it ever will.

I'm in the process of building my own controller out of an Arduino Trinket and writing much simpler code. My version wont have all the fancy lighting-effect features, just the strobe/brakes, turns, reverse and a glowing/fading when actually charging. The purchased unit had a similar charging glow feature that is based on a timer and doesn't actually *know* that you are (or are not) charging. It just turns on after some number of minutes. Mine takes signal from the led ring of the charge port.

Lastly, I should mention that I have no intention at all to mass produce or even limit produce my controller. I just like tinkering and have the know-how to do it.

I have the exact same problem...

• Informative
Reactions: USMCAviator
Mine worked fine for three years. Dirt and rain seem to have contaminated the first board and it failed. I got a replacement board and it never worked properly. I believe that the new appliqué had too much curvature and when installed it broke the board. They sent me a third one which immediately failed in the same manner. Currently only my “T” of the rear Tesla lights occasionally. I’d like to get it working properly.

The applique will consist of an OEM Tesla rear applique with the TESLA letters cut out by water jet, custom made 3D printed letters glued into the cut out letter spaces, a waterproofed neopixel module glued onto the back of the letters, and a Bluetooth control module.

The lighted applique will be shipped ready to install. Basic installation steps include:

- Removal of the stock applique and supporting bracket (base)
- Some simple cutting of the supporting bracket (base)
- Removal of the liftgate trim panels to access the wiring connections for the rear running lights, brake lights, and reverse lights
- Threading of several wires through the flex conduit from the top of the liftgate to the roof of the car
- Removal of the right rear trunk trim panel to access the connections for always-on 12v power and rear turn signals.

Optional special effects for lighting the applique TESLA letters will include the following. Instructions on the deployment of each option will be provided in the installation instructions. You can see some more at automotive accessories blog bestnetreview.com.

- Steady state red when the rear running lights are on
- Brighter red when the brakes are applied
- Flashing brighter red when the brakes are applied
- Sequential lighting of each letter in sync with the right and left turn signals
- Sequential lighting to spell “ TESLA S”
- Sequential lighting of the letters in white when the car is place in reverse, with a number of other effects
- Other special effect options will also be available.

Why don't you two guys contact me. In the past I have found out that some installers have connected the
controller incorrectly. Of the hundreds of systems out there a few have failed, 99.9 % of the time the fix
was not that difficult, and yes there was an issue with the soft ware early on that took some time to find and
correct.

I am on my 5th circuit board from Tesla Lights and it failed within a month. I bought the original applique and have had to pay for 2 circuit boards after the fact even though I would think it should all be under warranty. I love the effect but it kills me to see letters not working or staying lit when they shouldn't. Now I am just trying to find someone that can build a reliable one or replacement. I have had this thing apart way too many times!

Achilles, I don't know what your doing but there is NO ONE IN THE WORLD that has the problems that your having. First of all the manufacture does not warranty any electronic part, and yes I have replaced a number of light boards at my expense. When I first took over the production we did have moisture problems. The failure rate is way down form the Gen II boards that where produced four years ago.
To the best of my knowledge extreme heat and extreme cold has never been tested. I mean temperatures above 120F and below -35F.

Just in case it was a moisture problem, I purposely never cleaned my car with water to try and keep these from failing. It is possible it is an installation problem. The instructions that came with it did not have matching wire colors to my car. Every function would work (turn signals, brakes, different modes, etc.) but I will say when I turn my turn signal on it would sequence to the proper direction until I hit the brakes and then it would reverse direction. I don't know if this helps diagnose what is wrong. Right now all the LED's in the letter "A" with the exception of the top left will stay on when they shouldn't. If I unplug light board and plug back in....Then those LED's won't light up. Sometimes it works how it's supposed to (not lately) and sometimes more letters screw up. I own an auto repair shop so I'm not an idiot when it comes to electrical wiring but...I don't know what to do except give up on these.

Achilles, If the turn signals reverse when you hit the breaks then you have one of the old problem controllers. That problem was a software fix and and was done over a year ago. Send me your controller and I'll replace for you. Once you connect the new controller
test all the signals and let me know. Lets hope that the boards is not shot in any way.

Last edited:
Achilles, If the turn signals reverse when you hit the breaks then you have one of the old problem controllers. That problem was a software fix and and was done over a year ago. Send me your controller and I'll replace for you. Once you connect the new controller
test all the signals and let me know. Lets hope that the boards is not shot in any way.

Well, I just lost the "L" now so I doubt a new controller is going to fix anything.

Achilles, I don't know why you think it's the controller. Just because a letter goes out does not mean its the controller.
Send the controller back and I will test it. I'll even make a video showing you the controller works correctly.

Last edited:
I can affirm that it’s not the controller. One or several neopixels in the letters have failed. You’ll need to replace the letter board, not the controller. This is usually to to water incursion. My lighted appliqué has worked as it should for more than three years. When I received the letter board from Jurgen I sprayed waterproofing material on each letter, on the back of the each letter insert, then covered the whole ensembly in silicone caulk material. It’s performed flawlessly.

Hi artsci,
As I just received these lights and plan to install them with the guy who did my blackvue 2ch installation, did you apply the silicon caulk/rubber seal before fixing the letters on the applique (and let it dry) or at the moment you press them through the applique letter inserts? Asking for timing purpose. As setting the caulk will need some hours I guess?

I can affirm that it’s not the controller. One or several neopixels in the letters have failed. You’ll need to replace the letter board, not the controller. This is usually to to water incursion. My lighted appliqué has worked as it should for more than three years. When I received the letter board from Jurgen I sprayed waterproofing material on each letter, on the back of the each letter insert, then covered the whole ensembly in silicone caulk material. It’s performed flawlessly.

I have never trusted conformal coating to weatherproof an electronic device like the letter board, which is exposed to extremes of temperature and all kinds of water, dirt, and filth on the back of a Tesla. In these circumstances conformal coating just doesn't do the trick.

So to waterproof the applique letter board to my satisfaction, I developed a multi-step procedure. This takes time and patience, which pays off long term. I recommend anyone buying the lighted applique follow these steps, conformal coating notwithstanding.

First I inserted the letters in the applique (taking care that they were fully inserted), then sprayed two coats of FlexSeal on the back side of the letters/applique (taping the front side of the applique for overspray). That ensures that no water can get through the small openings around the letters on the outside of the applique.

At the same time I sprayed two coats of FlexSeal on the entire letter board (back and front including the neopixels). I was very generous with the FlexSeal spray making sure every nook and cranny of the letter board was covered including all of the neopixels that light the letters. All of this takes 1-2 days to completely dry.

Then I installed the letter board on the applique and bench-tested its operation. After all proved ok I then applied black silicone (GE) to all of the gaps between the letter board and the applique and the entire back of the letter board (thin coat there). I may seem like overkill, but provides additional protection and also ensures that there is no light leakage where the appliqué attaches to the back of the car. After that I allow another 2 days for the silicone to complete dry/cure. Then I installed it on my Tesla.

With these steps, there's no way even a drop of water is ever going to touch any component of the letter board, but especially the neopixels.

Jurgen should take credit for improvements to the electronics of this device, for example using more reliable neopixels and making other changes that impact the reliability and proper functioning of the device. If you buy this device and follow my steps for waterproofing you'll be rewarded with years of flawless performance.

Of course, it's a somewhat sophisticated device, subject to extremes of weather on the back of the car, and it's vulnerable to component failure over time. That just goes with the territory. But it is one of the coolest aftermarket products for the Model S and X, bar none. I see people driving behind me taking pictures all the time.

When my Model 3 was delivered last November the first thing I thought about was how a rear lighted applique could be made for the 3, which is another story all together.

Last edited: