Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for the Lighted Rear Appliqué

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed the whole bunch today and it's working great! Did put extra rubber silicone compound around all the electrical pieces and behind the TESLA letters. Also bought and installed the iOS app to control the extra light patterns. Just wondering; there is an option in the app for a green charging light pattern. I can imagine this is only possible to enable it manually, as the controller does not receive such charging signal? Will upload some photos next time (or maybe in a new thread).

The charging signal is part of the Gen IV system and at this point I only have one Gen IV light board. The production run should be complete in the next three to four weeks. The front and rear lighted "T's" will have RGB LED's and will be controlled by the Gen IV board and will work using the same app. When charging the "T's" will flash at a fast rate and then slow down as the battery becomes full. Will be looking for some feed back as to flash on front "T" only, front "T" and rear "T" or Flash on all three front, rear and applique. So we may have a few programing changes before the final operating system become set.

Anyone with a Gen III will be able up date to a Gen IV appliqué. There is a different softeware package with th Gen IV. I will update the software at no charge for anyone that acquires the Gen IV applique. I'll send out e-mails to all applique owners as to the process later.

The charging signal is part of the Gen IV system and at this point I only have one Gen IV light board. The production run should be complete in the next three to four weeks. The front and rear lighted "T's" will have RGB LED's and will be controlled by the Gen IV board and will work using the same app. When charging the "T's" will flash at a fast rate and then slow down as the battery becomes full. Will be looking for some feed back as to flash on front "T" only, front "T" and rear "T" or Flash on all three front, rear and applique. So we may have a few programing changes before the final operating system become set.

Anyone with a Gen III will be able up date to a Gen IV appliqué. There is a different softeware package with th Gen IV. I will update the software at no charge for anyone that acquires the Gen IV applique. I'll send out e-mails to all applique owners as to the process later.
Are you currently selling the gen 4’s now? I’m considering purchasing the front and rear for my X

The Gen IV applique are in stock and can be ordered from the web site. Please note that the Gen IV's are RGB. You can now have any color that an LED controller will give you or you can get the GEN IV applique and controll the the front and rear "T's" via the app.

When you aquire the applique you get access to the soft ware that runs the system. The standard functions are:
Scroll left and right with turn signals, The letters T E S L A light up (60%) with the running lights and 100% with stop.
When you shift into reverse T E S L A lights up White. The added feature is the charge mode. Applique only will
flash GREEN in charge mode. The front and rear "T's" will also flash GREEN if the are installed.

Like Gen III, Gen IV has some added special effects

When you aquire the applique you get access to the soft ware that runs the system. The standard functions are:
Scroll left and right with turn signals, The letters T E S L A light up (60%) with the running lights and 100% with stop.
When you shift into reverse T E S L A lights up White. The added feature is the charge mode. Applique only will
flash GREEN in charge mode. The front and rear "T's" will also flash GREEN if the are installed.

Like Gen III, Gen IV has some added special effects
I have an X - I believe thenT’s are only one color(gen3) - if I purchase the black appliqué will it just replace the existing chrome appliqué on my X? Meaning no dremeling required?

I have not installed a light board in a Model "X" in the past year. I can tell you that after the light board is installed on the plastic applique the over all thickness will be .100 thicker. I have not heard that added .100 makes a difference in the installation process.
It does not matter if you install a GEN III or a GEN IV both are the same overall thickness.

I don't thing that you have to cut out a section of the black bracket. We did that just to make more room for the light board on the Model "S".
I have a number of plastic appliqués for the Model X, when some one orders a light applique for the "X" I attach the light board to a
Model X applique and the hole assembly is sent.

The new GEN IV light board is different to the extent that you have to let me know if you want the front and or rear "T" because the board has to be wired before it is shipped. The "T's" will turn on with the running lights, stop light the new charge control and some special effects.

I finally had tesla service remove my lighted applique a couple of months ago, got tired of dealing with it not working (and the pitting). Really cool concept but mine never fully worked for more than a week(replacement never worked at all). Huge thank you to Tesla Devon for removing the OEM applique and replacing the lighted one back to the origional without any issues.

CKCland, I will admit that a few people got light boards that did not last very long, But I made an effort to replace the light boards that did not work, although all boards got to sit on my bench and run for hours on end with out a problem.
WE also have some Gen II boards that are still running just fine after four years in the field.

CKCland, I will admit that a few people got light boards that did not last very long, But I made an effort to replace the light boards that did not work, although all boards got to sit on my bench and run for hours on end with out a problem.
WE also have some Gen II boards that are still running just fine after four years in the field.
Jurgen I sent you an email - my lights aren’t lighting up- can you help?

I believe the problem is that the rear chrome piece has too much curvature. When it is applied to the car it is breaking the boards. You sent me two and both did not work. If you come to California, I will pay you to repair mine.

Can you send me the broken board and let me take a look at it. Did the fiber board break or is it the the copper sub straight.
Problem # 2 The Gen III boards are no longer available. The Gen IV light board was totally redesigned with different LED's
and a different software package. To day the Lighted applique and the front and rear "T's" are controller by the controller.
The front, rear "T's and the applique will function in charge display mode and the special effects.

The Gen IV applique are in stock and can be ordered from the web site. Please note that the Gen IV's are RGB. You can now have any color that an LED controller will give you or you can get the GEN IV applique and controll the the front and rear "T's" via the app.

I was reading one of your posts (above) and I am confused. The Gen IV's are RGB. Are you saying people can use a LED RGB controller and not use the Bluetooth controller?

Akikiki, The LED's have been change to a commercial grade LED. The software has been rewritten so that the communication between the
light board and the controller does not have all the interference of the past. The front and rear "T" is now controlled from the light board and will change colors depending on the special effect.
The blue tooth functions are basically the same, but, we now have a charge cycle as part of the sepecial effects along with a couple
of others.

It has been a while for me on TMC and guess we need an update ;).
I installed the rear applique over a year ago now and followed the precarious isolation procedure mentioned earlier in this thread.
Have to say; it paid off :cool:. The applique is still working 100% through rain, snow, heat/cold and the ‘mandatory’ automatic car wash around the block. Had some car issues solved at the SeC the last few months and no mention of it.

Reactions: Akikiki
I have one of the first 6 that were made. Mine is one of two red ones that artsci made. Its lasted long enough to jump from my 2013 to my current 2017 and is still working. The "A" sometimes lights when I don't need it, be all other functions still work as expected.