Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for the Lighted Rear Appliqué

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to hear that lighted applications are still working, I know some had a problem with moisture on the board that caused problems. The Gen IV boards are better than the original Gen II, unfortunately, had very little control over the original boards.

Just an update at least one light board is still going strong from 2012. That was the original small letter appliqué. The Gen IV boards now employ a different LED and have an updated operating system, and finally charge display is part of the special effects.

Update for my Lighted rear applique: Got some strange errors in the lighted applique a few weeks ago.
Right side partially 'S L A' of the 'T E S L A' does not work while de T E S reacts normally to input commands (turn signal, brake, reverse..)
Now I just disabled all input commands.

Not sure if the culprit is the module or the circuit board... Before I take it apart... It did work well for a long time.

IMG_1252.jpg

Glad to hear that lighted applications are still working, I know some had a problem with moisture on the board that caused problems. The Gen IV boards are better than the original Gen II, unfortunately, had very little control over the original boards.

Just an update at least one light board is still going strong from 2012. That was the original small letter appliqué. The Gen IV boards now employ a different LED and have an updated operating system, and finally charge display is part of the special effects.
Mine still works. Sort of the same problem though that Iwan stated. Mine was one of the first two painted ones made. My "A" won't light up, but I still have it on my S. Its started so many conversations about Tesla than any original part on the Tesla.

@WATTS-UP, you shutdown the site where these were available?

Ya know it was artsci on here that dreamed up this idea of the lighted rear applique. I remember his reports on TMC of his progress as he worked on it. After he got it working, he took on a partner and they worked to improve it.

I reached out to artsci a couple of months ago. He's driving a P3 now and doesn't have his S any longer. And he told me he bought the Tesla Offer version of the lighted rear applique and its much much easier to install. It uses CAN BUS and does not need to wire into the rear lights like we did.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gixx1300R
I had the first version, and then updated to the larger letters (Version II?). Used the same non CAN controller. Recently it began behaving oddly, and there was a seeming correlation with ambient temp (heat) that caused the "S", "L", "A" to not always light in KITT mode. Because of that correlation, I'm wondering if the controller is failing. Can troubleshoot the board, but I'm also wondering if anyone still has a wired in controller available? I currently have it unplugged, but after 7 years or so, I miss it.

I miss mine too. I have one of the first two painted Red 1st gens. I love it, but removed it. The "A" stopped working. And artsci had passed ownership to someone else, and the cost to fix it was equal to the cost of a new one. It was certainly fun. The look on people's faces was priceless. I boxed mine up and put all of it in my attic. Its complete, but one letter doesn't stay on. I've had mine on two different S's.

I miss mine too. I have one of the first two painted Red 1st gens. I love it, but removed it. The "A" stopped working. And artsci had passed ownership to someone else, and the cost to fix it was equal to the cost of a new one. It was certainly fun. The look on people's faces was priceless. I boxed mine up and put all of it in my attic. Its complete, but one letter doesn't stay on. I've had mine on two different S's.
Was it the letter or the controller? I suspect my controller, not any sort of water issue, because of the temp correlation.

I still have one of the prototype aluminum unpainted ones on my S, hasn’t worked in many years 😢.
Was gonna put my old appliqué back in but I 3M taped the crap out of the LED one + siliconed the holes from te inside because it leaked a bunch

Was really neat for a couple of years
…way pricey for how long it lasted + time to install it

Reactions: Akikiki
Evoffer formerly Tesla offer sells this now and the hardest part of the install was removing the existing letters on the oem appliqué. And has many modes, braking, signal, park and charge. View attachment 844232
Wait. Wait a minute. Is that their design? You use your old applique and cut out its letters to use their letters? If so, wow, that's brave. I've done some risky mods to mine, but I would not do that.

I still have one of the prototype aluminum unpainted ones on my S, hasn’t worked in many years 😢.
Was gonna put my old appliqué back in but I 3M taped the crap out of the LED one + siliconed the holes from te inside because it leaked a bunch

Was really neat for a couple of years
…way pricey for how long it lasted + time to install it
I think one of the ideas for removing the original applique was using high strength fishing line or very fine piano wire to "saw" the goop holding the self sticking tape through. Have you tried that?

For all, you may think its not worth it, but don't trade-in your Tesla back to Tesla with non-OEM stuff on it. The will dock your trade-in, even if they don't restore it. I know a guy that had custom wheels. They reduced his trade-in at trade-in when they saw it was not original wheels. AND they didn't put OEMs on it before they offered it for sale. Don't understand the logic, but I've seem them do this. Put the old stuff back on, and if you must, hide the mod's wires so they are not visible.

Was it the letter or the controller? I suspect my controller, not any sort of water issue, because of the temp correlation.
I don't know if it was controller or just that one letter. I doesn't make sense it was controller, since just that light would intermittently work/not work. And it behaved that way even when I cycled through the different app's effects. Still have the BT box that drives it. And its connector. Gracefully removed it from the car.

Wait. Wait a minute. Is that their design? You use your old applique and cut out its letters to use their letters? If so, wow, that's brave. I've done some risky mods to mine, but I would not do that.
Yes if you are careful you can remove the letters with a box cutter. it’s basically 4 plastic welds holding the letters in the appliqué and the letters are mounted on a solid plate so it’s not like the letters are individually attached it’s 1 plate.

wow. Making sure I understand. From the top: You are talking about the S's original OEM chrome applique?

And you used the guts from the Tesla Offer (old name?) lighted applique and mounted them in the OEM chrome applique?

And thanks.

Yes if you are careful you can remove the letters with a box cutter. it’s basically 4 plastic welds holding the letters in the appliqué and the letters are mounted on a solid plate so it’s not like the letters are individually attached it’s 1 plate.
That’s not how the original appliqué are. Letters are are part of it not attached separately. The attached came out later w/ D cars

Reactions: Akikiki