Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for thoughts on Model S LR (refresh) vs. M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's your average Wh/mi since owning the car? Obviously we will keep in mind that it's a Plaid so it probably wasn't driven with optimal efficiency ;)
I guess it isn't better like I thought.

210 for my 3, 218 for my Plaid for the last 7 days.

But, for the last 30 days, 244 for my 3 and 344 Plaid. But given the 97% efficiency of some of my 30mi+ drives in the Plaid, I think that average is higher due to it being new / fun.

I guess it isn't better like I thought.

210 for my 3, 218 for my Plaid for the last 7 days.

But, for the last 30 days, 244 for my 3 and 344 Plaid. But given the 97% efficiency of some of my 30mi+ drives in the Plaid, I think that average is higher due to it being new / fun.
Appreciate the reply. That’s still pretty good. I had about 275 on my 3 performance with 18 inch wheels over my ownership of the car but I was very liberal with the throttle. I will be as well with the S LR when it someday arrives. I ordered on July 2 and it looks like middle of November delivery…

Still the horn is probably the biggest mistake they made in my opinion. I just don't understand why they couldn't have the usual horn button under the airbag like every other car.
The HORN?? Who uses a horn? Especially in CA. And why does it have to be "under the airbag"? A long time ago the horn was outside the driver's door, and he reached out to squeeze a bulb to activate it. Now, all you have to do is touch a spot in the center of the steering, and that makes you upset?? And it still looks like it's under the airbag, too. My horn is on TOP of the airbag, and I push it to make the horn beep, but it certainly wouldn't be a problem anywhere near.

Problem is, so many people, often with only a decade or two of experience, think there's only one way to do things. Get over it. The only thing that's permanent is change.

Reactions: Mr X
The problem with the horn isn't the location, but as you say it is rarely used, but when you need it you need it. Until you are trained to subconsciously go to the new location, it needs to be where you expect it. Someone was changing into my lane and I pushed the airbag to warm them. Didn't help. I am learning the signals as I practice daily and they are not needed in an emergency.

Reactions: 2101Guy
The problem with the horn isn't the location, but as you say it is rarely used, but when you need it you need it. Until you are trained to subconsciously go to the new location, it needs to be where you expect it. Someone was changing into my lane and I pushed the airbag to warm them. Didn't help. I am learning the signals as I practice daily and they are not needed in an emergency.
I haven't tried it myself yet, but I read you can mash the right side and it will trigger the horn, too. Which is at least a tiny bit better than having to precisely press a touch button.

Tesla vehicles in my opinion always have the sound stage sitting too much forward, practically in the dashboard. The downside with trying to center the soundstage across the front and back speakers is that the rear speakers always sound underpowered to me. I’m hoping the new setup on the refresh doesn’t suffer that as much, as I didn’t get to adjust fade / test that yet in the car I was in.

I think the new sound system is a definite improvement from the previous generation Model S, but I’m withholding final judgement until I have a few weeks of driving my own car with tracks I’m familiar.
Do you actually get into the back seats to compare? Do any measurements ? db meter? or what?
Are you a musician ?

just curious - both are no doubt better than I have ever owned

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
Driving with the yoke is not a big deal. Great visibility but for sure taking your eyes off the road to find the blinker is ridiculous. At least the right blinker should have been on right side of yoke. I find I just don’t use blinker much anymore unless stopping quickly with someone behind. Never use the horn until you need it and it definitely won’t be intuitive. All the Tesla’s are fast enough but I do kind of look at the 3 as the girl car, S for the men. Just look on the road.

We're selling our '18 M3P and replacing it with a MYP, then also picking up the long-range S... appreciate the thread! After driving a friend's Plaid around town, I was definitely sold.

MYP vs M3P (why):
  • Significant other hauls more things around and she prefers an SUV seating height
  • Current value of M3P on the used market means we can sell that and get the Y "for free"
  • White interior wanted!
  • Heated steering wheel! (vs '18)
  • Power trunk (vs '18)
  • Why MYP over long-range Y? Taking advantage of quicker theoretical delivery dates to maximize used sale
Will miss about the M3P:
  • BMW-ish tossability
  • When we purchased it, it included HomeLink
Will not miss about the '18 M3P:
  • Insane road noise (expecting the MYP will still be noisy)
  • Manual lift-gate
  • Door ding received when the car had about 10 miles on it
  • Piano black console
Excited for the long-range S:
  • Additional range, even with 21's
  • Quieter
  • Quieter
  • Quieter (did I already mention that?)
  • More comfortable backseat for guests
Not super excited about the S:
  • The yoke buttons, from a few short initial drives, are a cluster
  • Half-broken UI, for now
FSD
  • Feel burned having it on the M3P
  • Trying to decide whether weekly use of basic back/forward summon in the garage was useful
  • Trying to decide whether use of lane change turn signals on the highway as a habit is useful
  • Really hate that there is basically no resale value for FSD
  • Maybe will get the subscription, maybe.

I’ve just placed my order for a refreshed Model S LR, which will replace my ‘18 Model 3P.

I still really enjoy the Model 3, but my daughter need a new car and loves the 3P, so giving her a “deal” on it gives me an opportunity to get a smoother, quieter, hopefully still fun Model S.

This will be the first car I’ve purchased without driving it first, so that’s…exciting (??)

I really wasn’t a fan of the interior or tech in the pre-refresh Model S, but a look at the new version at my local gallery cemented my decision - it’s very nice.

I’m sure I’ll miss the tossability of the 3, but the S’s comfort, range and luxury should go a long way towards assuaging that loss.

Reactions: MJGolf
I’ve just placed my order for a refreshed Model S LR, which will replace my ‘18 Model 3P.

I still really enjoy the Model 3, but my daughter need a new car and loves the 3P, so giving her a “deal” on it gives me an opportunity to get a smoother, quieter, hopefully still fun Model S.

This will be the first car I’ve purchased without driving it first, so that’s…exciting (??)

I really wasn’t a fan of the interior or tech in the pre-refresh Model S, but a look at the new version at my local gallery cemented my decision - it’s very nice.

I’m sure I’ll miss the tossability of the 3, but the S’s comfort, range and luxury should go a long way towards assuaging that loss.
I'm in your exact boat except my daughters are to young to drive so I will just move on.I just saw a plaid drive in front of me and from the back it looks so much better when the wider fenders and black trim than previous version. Hope we like the cars. Lol

Reactions: Zcd1
Saw a MSLR 19" yesterday. Looks amazing!! Looks really wide from the back. What's funny is there was a chalk white 911 right next to it. Once I saw it in person I was over the chalk color. It's nice if you want a different version of a white car.
0UKLl1VkDh-z4-kRV66oWs7Dt_sr7rQEzpcsiA5WYuSJ9GLRrlkAMKbAyGVwC7mxEEvX4fIbxzsf7uI9sm8OLWpOlVH99KzPVH6Mm54dRlAtRT_fi-5agQZCa2dR6DibW9abLgaL20UVMLpEs5YPaQ3m_nJCstuMsFG4fP1UDIs3cjbuBUVGGbVv4TSbS_8hSpy4p6vzrSlpFMN9dUz1RI-ep94d8MJyZkvso1r_MFFO1Dk2ZwhmLDxIea5RiAXqrpe9qjouCeTNW0KMa63g9UzhiaVrjbRPL_ro5RFsAHvQb_Y52auLhfZ-atJlod5XRJGODosBqEmn5ATMLQ1JyBOYQG2zeQbb-U8zlggIPtYz9-0-wsewJDCgSv0KXtUXhNB9G2zxRVy-m9t8QyQ3hwKxw7LbibTOmaL2dyck-rtxjmMVyrgX715A-UDAZ4Pi5VEKYoJVupW6BcP41iB0GVkQBvd7XuUm_7Ue0yonFYvKnPGUIqCscyZnq14PgBf3nWM6q_O2YfSTUEcFF3XKbagSINoXn14qhzQkLFuiTRgPQPIDPnG4jZhJvEdvZjHyPHDUCBg6JDWKxC7l_yJQ2tkywU740YVK00o9vXV8lmSPvjs0z2msKm2lsXFWQioN6po8YarGLozNqSEapnkbLoBkC13hiXju-OgxGwivAK13iWqO-334viRZdiuLd_oiU3Vh-NGNDt-fLCZKrZe8D0TpPA=w1218-h914-no

Saw a MSLR 19" yesterday. Looks amazing!! Looks really wide from the back. What's funny is there was a chalk white 911 right next to it. Once I saw it in person I was over the chalk color. It's nice if you want a different version of a white car.
0UKLl1VkDh-z4-kRV66oWs7Dt_sr7rQEzpcsiA5WYuSJ9GLRrlkAMKbAyGVwC7mxEEvX4fIbxzsf7uI9sm8OLWpOlVH99KzPVH6Mm54dRlAtRT_fi-5agQZCa2dR6DibW9abLgaL20UVMLpEs5YPaQ3m_nJCstuMsFG4fP1UDIs3cjbuBUVGGbVv4TSbS_8hSpy4p6vzrSlpFMN9dUz1RI-ep94d8MJyZkvso1r_MFFO1Dk2ZwhmLDxIea5RiAXqrpe9qjouCeTNW0KMa63g9UzhiaVrjbRPL_ro5RFsAHvQb_Y52auLhfZ-atJlod5XRJGODosBqEmn5ATMLQ1JyBOYQG2zeQbb-U8zlggIPtYz9-0-wsewJDCgSv0KXtUXhNB9G2zxRVy-m9t8QyQ3hwKxw7LbibTOmaL2dyck-rtxjmMVyrgX715A-UDAZ4Pi5VEKYoJVupW6BcP41iB0GVkQBvd7XuUm_7Ue0yonFYvKnPGUIqCscyZnq14PgBf3nWM6q_O2YfSTUEcFF3XKbagSINoXn14qhzQkLFuiTRgPQPIDPnG4jZhJvEdvZjHyPHDUCBg6JDWKxC7l_yJQ2tkywU740YVK00o9vXV8lmSPvjs0z2msKm2lsXFWQioN6po8YarGLozNqSEapnkbLoBkC13hiXju-OgxGwivAK13iWqO-334viRZdiuLd_oiU3Vh-NGNDt-fLCZKrZe8D0TpPA=w1218-h914-no
I ordered 21s on mine ($$$$, but couldn’t resist the stance and looks), but with either wheels, IMO Tesla hasn’t done a good job of showing how prominent the fender flaring is.

The car’s stance is far more aggressive than any of the pre-refresh cars’.

I’ve typically owned white cars, but went with blue this time - will be a pain to keep clean, but looks great when it is!

I ordered 21s on mine ($$$$, but couldn’t resist the stance and looks), but with either wheels, IMO Tesla hasn’t done a good job of showing how prominent the fender flaring is.

The car’s stance is far more aggressive than any of the pre-refresh cars’.

I’ve typically owned white cars, but went with blue this time - will be a pain to keep clean, but looks great when it is!
I went MSM.

My wife says that only men use the horn, due to too much testosterone (though women have testosterone, too). All the horn does is create noise pollution, and is not needed at all. If people left for work or shopping a few minutes early they wouldn't be so much in a hurry, wouldn't need to whip around cars "in their way", wouldn't need to try to push traffic with their noise, and could arrive relaxed. There are times that I think she's right. Even at 77 I am sometimes too much in a hurry, BUT I don't use the horn. It doesn't do anything worth while, but makes people angry.

So... this worry about where the horn is located is hard for me to understand. It should only take a day or less to figure out where the horn is, and it might be good that drivers have to stop and think about it before blaring away. It would be a good exercise to try to do without a horn for a week, just to see how unnecessary it is.

I just sold my '20 MY and took delivery of the '21 LR MS last week. I will say MS is night and day better. Of course, you pay the price to get all the creature comforts. Even though the MS is the LR version and delivers 3.1 sec 0-60, the acceleration is incredible. The car is confident and pose. The suspension isn't jarring and out of control. The MY suspension feels un-refined and harsh. I heard Tesla might be adding air suspension for the MY next year... If that happens, we'll be getting a MY again. I have a reservation on a MY currently. :p

I think the criticism on the yoke steering is overblown. Yes, it does take time to learn new muscle memory. For me, not having to use the turn signal stalk is wonderful! I have been dealing with various wrist and hand issues (trigger finger, tendonitis etc.), so the less force needed, the better. From an ergonomic standpoint, I have unobstructive views, easy to access haptic touch buttons which I love. Every time I get in the car, I feel like I'm driving a spaceship. The whole car driving experience is completely new and adventurous to me again. It's so refreshing! MS continues to widen the gap of a traditional gas engine car by leaps and bound. Just think, the automobile industry has remained largely unchanged for decades. But with Tesla, we're no longer dealing with incremental changes. Instead, we're seeing huge paradigm shifts!

Another big plus for me is how quiet the cabin is. Even without the noise-cancelling technology (not yet introduced), it's such a pleasure driving this car. The scary thing is you don't realize how fast you're going. It has happened a couple times now where I was cruising near 100 miles. :eek: I can't even imagine driving the Plaid...