Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for tint advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a white P3D that is going in for tint (XPel Prime XR), paint correction and paint protection on the entire front, mirrors, rocker panels and luggage area. For the tint, the plan is to go 50% all the way around except the windshield, although I'm tempted to go 35% on the rear 3 windows. I also intend to debadge the car. Does that sound like a reasonable plan. Any additional advice?

Totally reasonable. Full front PPF is the most bang for your buck installation. Tint job sounds fine, because I guess you like that VLT. If I were you, and being in Fresno with your summers, I'd make sure to also tint the windshield. Use something with a high TSER

Just did 5% rear, 45% front....
IMG_1142.JPG

Reactions: tony b
You know, I noticed that last night.... kept blinking but it did appear the auto-dimming was not functioning correctly for my side mirrors or rear view... it was just pretty much fully dimmed. Where is the little sensor for it?
The rear sensor is in the middle slightly to the right and top of the rear view mirror. I contacted Tesla and I was told.. eh.. oh well, no way to disable it. Sorry. If you put the car in reverse, you'll see you can see out the back and sides just fine.

For the tint, the plan is to go 50% all the way around except the windshield
That's what I did on my silver Model S and I am pretty happy with the result! I do like having the same level of tint on all the windows. Looks very elegant. Enough shade but without causing any visibility issues. A matter of personal preference of course.

I didn't put any tint on the windshield (and I am glad I didn't, don't want any distortion there) but because the rest of the windows are tinted and the car is dark inside, it looks as if the windshield is tinted too!

Last edited:
I did 15% on the back windows, 35% on the front and 50% on windshield. I’m super happy with it inside and out.

No tint on rear window as I felt visibility was low anyway and I like the look of the tint gradient from the roof. Also, how else are they gonna see me flip the bird as I leave them in the dust? :)

Attachments

• 2EB9758A-30EE-4639-A9A1-72AB8862E7B1.jpeg
    2EB9758A-30EE-4639-A9A1-72AB8862E7B1.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 93
  • F0A47B07-CC12-4BCB-B3AB-5D611D8FCCE0.jpeg
    F0A47B07-CC12-4BCB-B3AB-5D611D8FCCE0.jpeg
    429.5 KB · Views: 89
I did 15% on the back windows, 35% on the front and 50% on windshield. I’m super happy with it inside and out.

No tint on rear window as I felt visibility was low anyway and I like the look of the tint gradient from the roof. Also, how else are they gonna see me flip the bird as I leave them in the dust? :)

Your front doesn't look 35%. It looks almost like the back windows at either 15 or 20%. Maybe because you have the windshield at 50% making the front looks darker.

Unable to post a side view pic.... the 3 is going to be at an auto body shop for a couple weeks to correct all the paint flaws in the white paint. :-/ I'll update once I get it back
Awesome thnx. Can I ask what was wrong with your paint? I notice on mine or passenger side back door is clearly lighter shade then front door pretty upsetting but not sure I would want the whole door repainted by a "Tesla certified" body shop :-(

Your front doesn't look 35%. It looks almost like the back windows at either 15 or 20%. Maybe because you have the windshield at 50% making the front looks darker.

It's noticeable from the inside, but I realized the pictures make it look a lot darker, probably due to the angle and light. Here's a pic without all the reflection.

Attachments

• car.jpg
    car.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 82
It's noticeable from the inside, but I realized the pictures make it look a lot darker, probably due to the angle and light. Here's a pic without all the reflection.

Heh the new pic without reflection actually made the tints look even more identical shade. There is no way I would have guess the front and rear have different % of tint from the pic. And they both look to be about 15 to 20%. If you look at the pic above on my car, the front is 35% same as the back and it is quite a bit lighter than yours, but I think yours looks much nicer. I just don't have the guts to go darker on the front.. felt like I would be pull over the next day and had to remove the tint. :p

Heh the new pic without reflection actually made the tints look even more identical shade. There is no way I would have guess the front and rear have different % of tint from the pic. And they both look to be about 15 to 20%. If you look at the pic above on my car, the front is 35% same as the back and it is quite a bit lighter than yours, but I think yours looks much nicer. I just don't have the guts to go darker on the front.. felt like I would be pull over the next day and had to remove the tint. :p
I'll have to work on getting a pic that accurately reflects the tint better! I feel like in LA, people get full black out tints all the way around and no one seems to care so having it dark in front it wasn't really a concern for me. I think you're more likely to get in trouble for not having a front plate. I got 50% in the front of my other car and wanted something a bit darker for this one.

Reactions: Need
I'll have to work on getting a pic that accurately reflects the tint better! I feel like in LA, people get full black out tints all the way around and no one seems to care so having it dark in front it wasn't really a concern for me. I think you're more likely to get in trouble for not having a front plate. I got 50% in the front of my other car and wanted something a bit darker for this one.

Is your car wrapped in xpel stealth?

I did 35% all around (not windshield). I am having issue with the heater element in the rear glass reflecting car lights though. It is annoying in the dark. I am having the tinting place take a look at it (the entire rear glass was done in one piece). Any of you had any issues with car lights reflecting off the tint around the heating element wires?