Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for tire suggestions on a 2018 MX 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just hit 30k on my 2018 MX 100D. The tires are worn out and need replacement. I quoted some local tire shop and they suggested me to go with "Ironman Imove Gen 2 SUV 275/45/20" tires. Each costs $132 (total cost of $692). I asked them about replacing the tires with original ones and they told me those were $346 each (total cost of $1619). Are the original ones this expensive? I thought tires were roughly $100-$200. I live in california. Most of the time I drive on dry roads, sometimes wet roads and very rarely snow roads. Should I get the original ones because of the quality (assuming it's better)? Any other brands / models I should consider?

Thanks for any leads. Sorry if this question sounds stupid but I know pretty much nothing about tires.

Rear tier:
IMG20230331174104.jpg

Front tire:
IMG20230331200003.jpg

We drive a Model S but a couple of points. Cheap tires I've tried. They never last. Also they may not have the speed rating that is possible with an x. So you need to be careful about that. Most of the time the best prices I've been able to get were with discount tire. Maybe try them? I normally spend somewhat north of a thousand for tires. But they generally last 40 to 50,000. I understand that means 30 to 40,000 on x, that's the nature of the beast. Good luck!

Upvote 0
We drive a Model S but a couple of points. Cheap tires I've tried. They never last. Also they may not have the speed rating that is possible with an x. So you need to be careful about that. Most of the time the best prices I've been able to get were with discount tire. Maybe try them? I normally spend somewhat north of a thousand for tires. But they generally last 40 to 50,000. I understand that means 30 to 40,000 on x, that's the nature of the beast. Good luck!
Thanks for the information. Quite helpful. Any idea where I can get the discounted tires? Also would you suggest sticking with the original brand/model? Or any good tires would work just fine?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the information. Quite helpful. Any idea where I can get the discounted tires? Also would you suggest sticking with the original brand/model? Or any good tires would work just fine?
'Discount Tire' is the name of the tire shop he is referring to. You can go on their website and enter your vehicle to look at compatible tires, and the OEM ones and get the full price including install and TPMS. I have Continental ExtremeContacts (OEM) on both my model Y and 3 and I find them fantastic.

Reactions: henderrj
Upvote 0
I used the OEM tires for quite a while and then switched to these popular ones that have very good ratings. You want high quality tires that are such an important safety and reliable factor.

Example of treadwear etc -- Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG)

I purchased these: Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-Season
from tirerack and they shipped them to my local Firestone 'partner'. Suspect they have partners in your area.
This was my setup with wider rims on the rear ... hence the 275s.
Front 265/45ZR20 108Y XL UTQG: 640 B A
Rear 275/45ZR20 110Y XL UTQG: 640 B A

vUtn8PH.jpg

Upvote 0
'Discount Tire' is the name of the tire shop he is referring to. You can go on their website and enter your vehicle to look at compatible tires, and the OEM ones and get the full price including install and TPMS. I have Continental ExtremeContacts (OEM) on both my model Y and 3 and I find them fantastic.

Ah thanks for the clarification. I read somewhere else that Tesla customized these tires by inserting some foam to reduce noise. Would the tires come with the foam if I order online?

Upvote 0
I used the OEM tires for quite a while and then switched to these popular ones that have very good ratings. You want high quality tires that are such an important safety and reliable factor.

Example of treadwear etc -- Uniform Tire Quality Grade (UTQG)

I purchased these: Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-Season
from tirerack and they shipped them to my local Firestone 'partner'. Suspect they have partners in your area.
This was my setup with wider rims on the rear ... hence the 275s.
Front 265/45ZR20 108Y XL UTQG: 640 B A
Rear 275/45ZR20 110Y XL UTQG: 640 B A

vUtn8PH.jpg

Thanks a lot for the information. I didn't know about these ratings. Will definitely give it a read. How are the michelin tires? Any noticeable differences?

Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
Are those louder than original continentals. Discount recommended stay with the continentals due to interior noise in the car. Mine are due also, just fronts.
I found them comparable. I don't think the "foam" in the continentals did much in real-world vs some controlled lab test. I did a 6000 mile road trip over the summer and a 3000 mile road trip last month and the type of road you were on varied so so much it was hard to tell tire noise vs road induced noise at 60+ mph.

I really like the road wear on the new tires as well. At this point I'd do these again in a heartbeat: Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-Season

Reactions: RNHurt and Thp3
Upvote 0
Have you had any notable change in efficiency with these?
Honestly, I think it is slightly better but certainly not worse. I did a 6000 mile road trip over the summer and a 3000 mile one recently. I was pretty happy with the efficiency.

I would try to look at TeslaFI for efficiency to back it up but the 3000 mile one ranged from Chicagoland (40Fs) to Naples, FL (80Fs). 6000 mile one was BC Canada to Las Vegas NV in July.

Reactions: Bigriver
Upvote 0
One more question, I just found out that the original tires (CONTINENTAL CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT) come with ratings of 480 A A. Looks like the crossclimate2 has a lower traction rating. Do you think that's an issue?

That traction grade is for something specific. You can look on YT for many comparison or reviews of the crossclimate2. It is well-liked. I'd guess the Cont CrossContact have "softer" (gripper) rubber and thus the difference in wear numbers (480 vs 640). I mentioned in the post just above this one all the places I've been in them (NE Canada to SW USA) and over the winter. I'm currently planning on buying them the next time I need them.

ihJdPsk.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
Upvote 0
Honestly, I think it is slightly better but certainly not worse. I did a 6000 mile road trip over the summer and a 3000 mile one recently. I was pretty happy with the efficiency.

I would try to look at TeslaFI for efficiency to back it up but the 3000 mile one ranged from Chicagoland (40Fs) to Naples, FL (80Fs). 6000 mile one was BC Canada to Las Vegas NV in July.
Love to understand if there was any range hit. I have these tires and the Sailun Erange tires on my list to replace OEMs (looking for 3 season as i run dedicated winters)

Upvote 0
That traction grade is for something specific. You can look on YT for many comparison or reviews of the crossclimate2. It is well-liked. I'd guess the Cont CrossContact have "softer" (gripper) rubber and thus the difference in wear numbers (480 vs 640). I mentioned in the post just above this one all the places I've been in them (NE Canada to SW USA) and over the winter. I'm currently planning on buying them the next time I need them.

ihJdPsk.jpg
the traction rating is calculated using the sliding traction (we call this the coefficient of kinetic friction) using a trailer testing device. To me this is an outdated test. What we really need is cornering (lateral) and braking traction (coefficient of static friction). Once the tire is sliding we are SOL and along for or just having a good time. So I have quit looking at traction rating and focus on wet braking and cornering.

Upvote 0

ihJdPsk.jpg

ihJdPsk.jpg
I have the CC on an oddesey and my P100d. They are decent. They get loud under load (breaking and cornering) Still decent tread after 8k miles. I might get 30k if I take it easy on them. I did have one cut don’t to the belts but not through. Did not pass inspection. Only tires I didn’t buy road hazard on in the last 10 years.

Upvote 0
Via picts and measurements today ... FYI, my rough calcs show the Michelin CrossClimate2 Grand Touring All-Season tires seem to be wearing as expected per the 60K mile warranty. I keep them at 44 to 49 PSI depending on temp and driving. ie. on a recent March road trip from IL to FL, I ended up removing 1 PSI (1 sec release) at 3 supercharging stops as I got closer to southern FL. All four: 10/32nd new and 8.5/32nd now at 17,187 miles. So about 11458 mi per 32nd wear.

Upvote 0