TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Looking for Trip Advice Sea- Portland

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by lancego, Jul 14, 2017.

1. lancego

lancego New Member

Taking my MX75D to Portland, and unfortunately the hotel we have to stay at in Lake Oswego doesn't have a charger. I think my best place to charge (in terms of time efficiency) is about 30 extra miles south, at the Woodburn Supercharger. I figured id drop the family off at the hotel and continue on to Woodburn and charge to full. I could then tool around the city for the weekend, then before going back to Seattle, charge up again at Woodburn. I don't see any other way, as the local 240W connectors will require me to wait around for 6+ hours. I wish the Tigard Supercharger was up and running. Any other ideas from frequent Tesla road travelers? Thanks in advance.

• Informative x 1
  2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Yes, lots of CHAdeMO spots in the Portland area. It might be worth having that adapter in your arsenal, but it is pretty pricey ($450). If I lived in Portland, I'd loan you mine while you were in town, but I'm an hour east.

Unfortunately the Centralia SC is just under 100 miles from Lake

• Like x 1
  3. N8DGR8

N8DGR8 Member

Have you looked at plugshare? If you end up going downtown, Hotel DeLux has great chargers and I think parking maxes out at $15. There are several light rail stops nearby or Uber is easy too. 4 hours on a level 2 charger should get you plenty of charge.

4. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Member

You might be able to get away with just one charge in Woodburn rather than two, but otherwise it doesn't seem like a bad idea.

One other thing is to be sure to either park in the shade or turn off your Cabin Overheat Protection, otherwise you will lose some range every day. This is an extreme case, but I parked my car outside all day in Las Vegas this week and I was losing about 35 rated miles per day due to the 110F temps and high angle of the sun. Portland would not be as bad but I would guess it could still be 20 RM/day in a heat wave.

Also, even if your hotel only has a 110V outlet to plug into that is immensely better than not plugging in at all. You can get 40-60 rated miles per night and prevent the vampire drain on the battery.

• Like x 1
  5. randycandy

randycandy Member

Have you considered the free charging on “Electric Avenue?” Charging is free, compliments of Portland utility, but you do have to pay for parking. There are two J1772 chargers and several CHAdeMO chargers.

Electric Avenue 2.0 - Google Search

• Like x 2
  6. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

A comment on plugshare says that parking is validated for 2 hours if you buy something to eat or drink at the nearby Hotel Lucia.
    The Tesla destination charger at DeLuxe is 64amps at 208V, good for about 80 rated miles in 2 hours

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Good find! The J1772 are 19 kW

• Like x 1
  8. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

Nah, bring the family with to Woodburn and let them peruse the outlet mall. Always nice to take advantage of no sales tax when you can.

• Like x 1
  9. lancego

lancego New Member

Awesome ideas guys, thanks a lot!

10. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Plan a side trip to Mt Hood and visit the Sandy SC on the way...

11. N8DGR8

N8DGR8 Member

I got a CHAdeMO adapter 2 years ago and only used it once out of curiosity. They are a little awkward to use and the CHAdeMO stations are out of service a lot. We drive a Model S 60.

• Informative x 1
  12. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

Babica Hen Cafe in Lake Oswego has a Tesla destination charger.
    Location/Hours
    15964 Boones Ferry Rd
    Lake Oswego, OR 97035
    United States

Are you staying near there?

13. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

Elec Ave is no longer free :(, but at least still a reliable charging spot (for a fee)

• Informative x 1
  14. geoc

geoc New Member

looking at the posting from on the charging station on plugshare:

upload_2017-7-19_9-21-22.png

are the for-fee charging already in place? or is it starting in fall? we are hoping to make another visit before end of summer o_O

15. randycandy

randycandy Member

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Oh well. It was fun while the free ride lasted.

16. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

ah - I haven't been over to check, but had seen an article saying they had stopped the free charges. I must have missed the "they would be stopping..." part of that (or the story I read did). sorry about that.

17. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Firstly "welcome to the family", noted it's your first post.

Ensure you charge at the Centralia SpC, on way down there, beyond the recommended charge time (that only takes into account something like 10% extra after arrival and you'll want more). I wouldnt charge to 100% as it's significantly slower based on the tapering of the charge.

If you haven't already left and want some extra security / flexibility then PM me and we'll exchange personal details and I'll loan you my CHaDeMO adapter.

As well as the wonderful suggestions of Electric Ave and the Lucia hotel, the Westin Portland downtown has a pair of 80A Tesla destination chargers. I know them well, and have helped me out even when I couldn't get a room there, though presuming you chat nicely with them I'd expect them to help out. They're very Tesla friendly :)

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

• Like x 1
  18. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Well, my suggestion is out of the box. Consider the bus.

I went to Portland a couple months ago, and I had done all this research ahead of time, finding which parking garages downtown had charging stations. My plan was originally to take the car into downtown one of the days, to let it charge up all day in a public garage, and it will be able to get me through. But the Portland bus system is so fantastic that we arrived at the AirBNB in the Richmond region and never moved the car the whole week we were there.

I was amazed how super easy and cheap it was. You can buy an unlimited day pass right there on the bus for $5. Google Maps on your phone is like a miracle for bus riding in an unfamiliar city. Just enter a destination, select bus, and it will show you EVERYTHING. And my biggest concern of riding a bus in an unfamiliar city is about being able to tell where I am from looking out the window. But you can just watch your little blue dot moving along the route on your phone, so you know when it's your stop.

Parking can sometimes be such a pain around Portland anyway that I was glad to not have to deal with it, and bus was way easier than I imagined.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1