TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Looking for used red MS

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by MarkJ, Aug 29, 2018.

1. MarkJ

MarkJ Member

Hi All,

I'm pondering a new MS but I would be very interested in a used one. I'm not in any great hurry so if any one is looking to sell within the next 9 months or so please get in touch.

I am quite specific though!

Red Model S
    75KWh or greater
    Must have EAPv2.0 or v2.5, preferably activated or priced accordingly
    Must have front & rear heated seats (part of PUP I think)
    Under 40k miles
    Would prefer transferable unlimited Supercharging which I believe means purchased on or before 31st Mar 2017
    Must have black interior and headliner but happy with textile or premium

So ideal manufacture / registration date is from about Oct 2016 to Mar 2017.

Even if this isn't applicable to you I'd be interested in any comments about possible price for a private purchase! Also, any comments about my expectations regarding Supercharging etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. DJP31

DJP31 Active Member

I can’t remember exactly when AP2.5 came out but I’m sure it was well after the cars with free Supercharging stopped, so you won’t get that combo. Very little difference between AP2 and 2.5 anyway.

Although you say you want private, have a chat with Richard Symons. Never used him myself but know plenty who have, both buyers and sellers. Drives a Tesla himself.

R Symons Ltd

For a car of that age you need the Sub Zero Package for the heated rear seats, this was stand alone from PUP at that time.

You haven’t mentioned whether RWD or AWD are important. The AWD will most likely to uncorked (or able to be FOA) which reduces the 0-60 by 1 sec. I have an uncorked 75D and it’s as fast as you like!

A new car would have AP2.5, new MCU, air suspension, newer drive units (so the lower 0-60) and a host of other incremental improvements. A detailed cost comparison to see how much the new car costs in comparison would be sensible, and unless you are doing lots of miles the free Supercharging may not be as valuable as you think. 20p per kWh is still hugely cheaper than fossil fuel.

Hope this helps.

3. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

This availability site is handy (combines data from numerous sources)

Tesla MS and MX cars for sale in the UK

Worth considering how often you would use that and how much you would actually pay. Unless you are travelling out-of-range very frequently I very much doubt it would cost more than a few pennies ...

I do 27,000 miles p.a., am out-of-range about 2 days a month and my Supercharger usage is 12% (according to TesalFi). That's about 1,000 kWh and I think?? Tesla chuck-in 400 kWh p.a. for free anyway.

600 kWh @20p is close to £100 p.a.

if you are thinking that you will free-Supercharger all the time then IMHO that's a bad idea. You have to sit-and-wait for it to happen - much better to just plug in at night and leave home every morning with a "full tank of fuel", and regularly Supercharged cars are penalised to avoid wrecking the battery chemistry, so after a while your supercharge rate will drop by 20% (according to Bjorn Nayland's YouTube videos)

If you get E7 off-peak at home that's around 8p / unit instead of, say, 14p. Assuming 333kWh / mile then that's 2.5p per mile driving ... as compared to £1.30 * 4.54 litres-per-gallon / 30 MPG = 20p/mile or @ 50 MPG = 12p/mile.

@ 8p E7 = £270 p.a. per 10,000 miles
    @ 50 MPG = £1,200 p.a. per 10,000 miles - save £78 per month per 10,000 miles p.a.
    @ 30 MPG = £2,000 p.a. per 10,000 miles - save £144 per month per 10,000 miles p.a.

and to my way of thinking saving a few quid here and there becomes much less relevant with EV

4. GeorgeSymonds

GeorgeSymonds Member

Don’t rule out a new but ex demo/loan car direct from Tesla, you’ll get unlimited supercharging for you and built much later so you may get the AP2-5 hardware etc. They’ll obviously cost more but looking on the site linked above they’ve a red 100D with an 8k discount from new