Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for wrecked 2010 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rtb

Aug 1, 2011
Prefer totaled/parts car - as long as EV parts are all OK. Prefer 2010 model. Want to use EV parts on prewar hot rod kit car, and don't necessarily want/need all the Lotus components. Vehicle need not drive - I can send flatbed. Prefer southwest US, but anywhere in US can be done, price depending.

Thanks!

Prefer totaled/parts car - as long as EV parts are all OK. Prefer 2010 model. Want to use EV parts on prewar hot rod kit car, and don't necessarily want/need all the Lotus components. Vehicle need not drive - I can send flatbed. Prefer southwest US, but anywhere in US can be done, price depending.

Thanks!
Good luck. All of the wrecked roadsters I have found (about a dozen) sell for $45k+, and those were all 1.5's. For that price, you are better off buying a used one for $70-$80k.

Good luck. All of the wrecked roadsters I have found (about a dozen) sell for $45k+, and those were all 1.5's. For that price, you are better off buying a used one for $70-$80k.

Sure, that's plan B, but if I can find one that all the EV parts are still intact (even the batteries aren't any big deal), and shuck all the Lotus parts off and sell what I can, it's probably better/cheaper than gutting an otherwise perfectly good car. Gotta try, right?

If you do find and buy one, you should publish any results of your explorations here.

You may find that there are many Roadster owners on this site have engineering expertise and strong motivations to help you.
If you don't need that help, publish here anyway - we all want to know what you learn from taking the pieces apart.

Sure, that's plan B, but if I can find one that all the EV parts are still intact (even the batteries aren't any big deal), and shuck all the Lotus parts off and sell what I can, it's probably better/cheaper than gutting an otherwise perfectly good car. Gotta try, right?
Yes, definately keep us posted. I thought about doing the same thing(65 Mustang Fastback), but by the time you buy a wrecked/used roadster and swap everything over to a different chassis, the cost is going to be more than a loaded model S. It wasn't worth it for me, so I'll just get an S. The worst part is the wait.

I would contact Tesla and see if they would sell you the power train themselves. I can't see why they wouldn't. If you don't need the batteries, it shouldn't be two expensive. You could probably even get a sport version.

I have seen no indication that Tesla is willing to sell Roadster components other than to repair Roadsters, or for big OEM deals like the Smart and Rav4EV.
Wouldn't you think we would have seen bunches of Tesla powered kit cars by now if they sold components like that?
I don't think they want to have anything to do with the "conversion" market.

I would contact Tesla and see if they would sell you the power train themselves. I can't see why they wouldn't. If you don't need the batteries, it shouldn't be two expensive.
I seriously doubt that the Roadster motor and PEM would work without the Tesla Motors battery. The battery is intelligent, and the computer expects to run everything in concert. I'm pretty sure that if you hooked up a PEM and motor to some random 400 V battery, the computer wouldn't do anything more than display a fault.

As far as I know, Tesla Motors will not even quote a price for the parts you seek; much less actually sell them.

Need HV battery

I bought a salvage Roadster sport and checking the cost to repair. It seems the battery is toast since sitting uncharged for past 12 months. Tesla expects to visit me in next two weeks.
My question to you is that since you are not interested in using Tesla HV battery what other way is there to power the vehicle?

I have yet to see a Roadster that wasn't powered by the Tesla battery pack ("ESS").
As was said earlier in this thread, I think the rest of the car expects to see diagnostic info feed from the battery pack otherwise it will go into a fault condition. The Roadster doesn't seem designed to allow retrofitting non-Tesla parts into it.