Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for your stories: funny/touching experiences with your car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just passed 4 weeks of ownership. Nothing quite prepared me for the outpouring of interest, excitement and the occasional negative.
Negatives:

• My rather well heeled neighbor called my Model S a "Status Car" and said she was sorry to see I'd bought one. This is the same woman who said it was unfair that I had found a girlfriend so soon after my divorce (1.5 years after, huh?).
  • I've gotten several junior bird man salutes. Funniest one was from a guy and his girlfriend in a GTi. The girl gives me a thumbs up and the guy then flips me off. I laughed all the way home.
  • Probably the worst are the guys in pseudo-hot cars (think rice rockets and shelbys) that feel the need to aggressively cut me off or otherwise challenge me. One guy refused to let me pass him by weaving between two lanes, even though he was going less than the speed limit. This never happened to me in my Prius.

dude... where do you drive? I don't have issues like you say here (yet) in my area (mostly east side).

I would say that we have had nothing but positive experiences and people that are genuinely excited and happy to see the car! Have given many test drives/rides and all people are amazed with the responsiveness and how big the car is and how much room there is inside. They have also all been amazed that it is completely electric and has that much power/range. Of course, I can't count how many times I have seen people taking pictures of it or slowing down or speeding up to get a better look. :cool:

We had an '07 E550 previous to the MS and had a few people come up and say it was a nice car but I would say the general reaction more times than not was somewhat different/negative...

-------
Forgot to post a link to the 'Love Note' I found on our car...
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/18186-Love-Note!!!

Last edited:
This past weekend a "good ole boy" in a truck was checking out the car the one time I let my boyfriend drive it, so I told him "this guy wants to see what it can do so get on it when the light changes". It was a short sprint to the next red light and we were all laughing. I put the window down and the guy said "that's all electric, right?". I nodded, and he continued "this thing has a hemi, so that little maneuver just cost me half a damn tank!"

Wow. Great attitude from a pickup truck guy. You know, it wasn't a great experience, but a week or so ago, I changed out of the carpool lane (I had a full passenger complement) and ended up behind a massive truck spewing black smoke to the point of it being a vision hazard. I changed one more lane and sped up to clear the air. I already don't run the A/C with the "fresh" air much, but it was like he was running on coal. Unfortunately, same truck driver decided to "gun it" and try to cut me off. Since he was oblivious to the hazard his vehicle was creating, much less the anathema to the lungs of everyone around, I opted to not let him, and got flush with the car in front of him (center lane). He was adamant about this and had no concern for others around him. He did not slow down as he approached the vehicle in front of him, he instead veered across a double solid line into the carpool lane (without signaling) and stayed there. He nearly caused a wreck. He probably will die of black lung disease soon, I'm sure.
@PhilBa: yeah, you'd think that about the folks here. Just not the case. I think there's a wide gap between a "good ol' boy" and the truck owners I have encountered. I hope to have some positive encounters with a truck owner some day soon!
Update: Last night, a guy in a pickup truck pulled up alongside me at a light, motioned for me to roll down my window, said my car was "F-ing phat," "badass," and when I told him it was a Tesla, he knew it was an electric. We talked to the point that the Escalade behind him was blaring their horn since we were holding up traffic. Glad to have a better sample space!

Last edited:
I've had no negative experiences. Being in Houston, we don't see as many Model S around as California, so I get a lot of the taking photos at lights and gathering around the car when I park. I find it funny to sit down and eat with a view of the parking lot and watch the reactions of people to the car. I usually carry detail spray and a cloth to keep the chrome wiped down--it can attract fingerprints for sure. I've been showing the car since October 2012 at places like Coffee and Cars, and a number of people have told me that seeing a Tesla there in a given month has made the show for them because they hadn't seen anything 'new' in a while. In a lot of cases, it is the first time they've seen the car in person or talked to an owner (although that is slowly changing), so it is fun to do the education thing. If you check the Houston thread, you can see a photo with one of our members 2 and 3 people deep around him as he is talking about the car.

The best story? I had one guy (who worked for a company related to EV charging, and was really into EVs himself) ask me to be the getaway driver for his wedding--of course, I did it. :)

I've gotten a lot of "Boy, I wish I was as rich as you are so I could afford one."-- This is a hard one, because I do feel lucky to afford a Model S, but as I try to tell people, it's not without sacrifice and frankly, it's the first car of this price range that I felt like I could justify buying-- even now, I feel a little defensive about it! (could be years of Catholic upbringing?) I usually go on into full Tesla ambassador spiel: This is an American company, designed and built in California, I love their vision of the future and if they can succeed now, just wait til the Gen III!, etc...

I'm having a tough time with this too. I'm not yet 30 and wear t-shirts and jeans, so I think it surprises people... I've had quite a few ask, "So it's that a $70K ($80K, $100K) car?" with the implication that I shouldn't have spent so much. It makes me feel very defensive and I've found myself stammering, "Oh it's the cheap version - just the 60 kWh battery", no gas purchases, made in California, etc... I don't like being made to feel like I have to put my car down to justify my decision
:frown:

I just tell them it costs as much as a 7 series BMW. Very few ask. A few funny questions like why 2 rotors on rear wheel and where does the windshield washer fluid go? Most of the people just want to look, take pictures and tell me how cool it looks.

I've gotten a lot of "Boy, I wish I was as rich as you are so I could afford one."-- This is a hard one, because I do feel lucky to afford a Model S, but as I try to tell people, it's not without sacrifice and frankly, it's the first car of this price range that I felt like I could justify buying-- even now, I feel a little defensive about it! (could be years of Catholic upbringing?) I usually go on into full Tesla ambassador spiel: This is an American company, designed and built in California, I love their vision of the future and if they can succeed now, just wait til the Gen III!, etc...
I'm having a tough time with this too. I'm not yet 30 and wear t-shirts and jeans, so I think it surprises people... I've had quite a few ask, "So it's that a $70K ($80K, $100K) car?" with the implication that I shouldn't have spent so much. It makes me feel very defensive and I've found myself stammering, "Oh it's the cheap version - just the 60 kWh battery", no gas purchases, made in California, etc... I don't like being made to feel like I have to put my car down to justify my decision :frown:
You guys might find this thread useful:

OWNERS! - do you get awkward questions about price tag?

Last edited:
On one of our first full days with the car, we were stopped in the right lane out of three at an intersection when I realized the right lane (mine) merges immediately after the intersection. This is quite common in this part of Cali as are a number of weird traffic control mechanisms (like freeway entrances not being standardized to one side of the road and if there is a sign, it is way too late to give you any chance to switch to the other lane if you guessed wrong). Anyway, I look to my left at the f250 or f350 next to us and decide my best bet is to gun it. I hit 0-speed limit in minimal time, and I had a perfect reaction to he green light. I look back after merging a few hundred feet past the intersection, and the truck has hardly come off the line yet and the other traffic isn't much passed him.

The next light catches me too, and he jumps in front of the guy in the left lane clearly in an effort to pull up alongside us again. He has his hand over his mouth and eyes wide open in complete shock and he is just pointing at us. His wife is laughing hysterically, and he just gives us a thumbs up and mouths "wow".

Reactions: F_T_K
North Seattle to Everett. The lane hog was on 525 between I5 and 99 though I think he passed me on I5. I had been driving fairly fast - he probably took umbrage that some one had the balls to go faster than him.

ok, I just encountered mine. I was driving on 520 (W) going around 65ish. not a bad traffic etc. just a regular drive. Here comes a blue civic and he had to squeeze in front of me with (I'd say) about 10 inch of clearance between cars. And it was doing nice merging either & was no reason to change his lane...

We recently took our first road trip from Silicon Valley to Los Angeles. While we were supercharging at Harris Ranch, we decide to have lunch and try some steak Harris Ranch is well known for. When the steak arrived, Tesla psychosis struck again. I said to myself, what will Tesla think of next? Check out the steak and you will see what I mean. :biggrin:

TeslaSteak.JPG

Attachments

• TeslaSteak.JPG
    TeslaSteak.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 513
I had a fun afternoon visit to the Scottsdale store. I wanted to look at the aero wheels in case I go through with a trade-in of my Roadster. One of the sales staff helped me go over a couple of things and then rang up a couple of Tesla goodies I bought. While he was checking me out, he said, "I've never really seen a Roadster in person." So, a quick check with his manager to get a break and off to the garage we went. He spotted it across the garage where I'd parked it away from the crowd of cars, and started "ooing and awing" I opened every thing up and let him check it out. Then we got in and I picked an empty side street and stomped on it. I got a Tesla grin from a Tesla employee! That was fun.

ok a repost(not quite), just to join the party...

My wife always protests when I accelerate a bit, she gets car sick as she claims, to the point I ask her not to ride with me. :cursing:

Now she starts taking a bit easy and tolerate a lot more, until last week when I spot a M3 coming fast behind me, I waited till it aligned with me on the next lane, and floored the pedal to show who rules the road! :cool: You can imagine how mad she got.... and dare can I say I want to race with the M3?! I just fumble saying oh subconsciously I got this kick to rocket... I do that all the time myself driving... I didn't know she was in the passenger seat... Anyway she didn't talk to me for the whole night when we get to friend's party.