Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes, this actually does not make me feel any better...

The 80/20 rule states that the last 20% of any task is just as difficult as the first 80%... often more difficult!
Hmmm, interesting, in my business the 80/20 rule means that 20% of the skus represent 80% of our sales ;)
But please allow me to challenge your theory. 3542 days ago there was zero guarantee Tesla would live to make a Model 3. Talk about stress. I gotta think these last 600+ days will be easier because I'm pretty sure now that - failing an epoch-ending meteor impact - we ARE getting this car. Maybe not exactly on time. But close enough when looked at on 4100+ day time scale. There's also the happy fact that we now know what it looks like, cool screen savers to worship, test ride videos, and pages (and pages, and pages...) of new threads to keep us busy debating in far more detail. I think the worst is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: houdini and Model 3
I'm at 627 days until 12/31/17.
TIFO-Quick-Fact-627.jpg

Reactions: Model 3
Hmmm, interesting, in my business the 80/20 rule means that 20% of the skus represent 80% of our sales ;)
But please allow me to challenge your theory. 3542 days ago there was zero guarantee Tesla would live to make a Model 3. Talk about stress. I gotta think these last 600+ days will be easier because I'm pretty sure now that - failing an epoch-ending meteor impact - we ARE getting this car. Maybe not exactly on time. But close enough when looked at on 4100+ day time scale. There's also the happy fact that we now know what it looks like, cool screen savers to worship, test ride videos, and pages (and pages, and pages...) of new threads to keep us busy debating in far more detail. I think the worst is over.
I sure hope I'm wrong! I also don't think the "Model 3" project has been in active development since 2006. Obviously they were working toward being able to make the Model 3, but I wouldn't classify all this wait as part of that project. After all, they could very well have made the 3 by 2010 if they had foregone both the Roadster and the S, but it likely would have resulted in Tesla going under. ;)

One could argue that since we already have working prototypes for the Model 3 that the project is already 80% complete! Perhaps these next two years are the final 20% of a project that has been ongoing for only a few years by now.

Or, the counter starts now on the "Make the Model 3 Production Ready" project and we shall see how Tesla handles the final 20% which will occur right around middle/end of 2017.

No matter how you look at it, it's gonna be a wild ride!

It's not like you are counting or anything... Almost 10 years since the "reveal" of the master plan. Sure took a long time to come to reality.

Revenge of the electric car sure is awesome. Where will Tesla and transport be in the next 10 years?

It is now 3,543 days/506 weeks/116 months since the blog "The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)".
It is still 443 days/63 weeks/14 months to last half - or 535 days/76 weeks/17 months to last quarter - of 2017.

In at least 626 days/89 weeks/20 months (the end of 2017) the Model 3 should be in production!

... and I hope to get mine in at least 991 days/141 weeks/32 months.

Where will Tesla and transport be in the next 10 years?

On Mars? ;)

Btw:
It is now 3,544 days/506 weeks/116 months since the blog "The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)".
It is still 442 days/63 weeks/14 months to last half - or 534 days/76 weeks/17 months to last quarter - of 2017.

In at most 625 days/89 weeks/20 months (the end of 2017) the Model 3 should be in production!

... and I hope to get mine in at least 990 days/141 weeks/32 months (the end of 2018).

• Informative
Reactions: pmich80
On Mars? ;)

Btw:
It is now 3,544 days/506 weeks/116 months since the blog "The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)".
It is still 442 days/63 weeks/14 months to last half - or 534 days/76 weeks/17 months to last quarter - of 2017.

In at most 625 days/89 weeks/20 months (the end of 2017) the Model 3 should be in production!

... and I hope to get mine in at least 990 days/141 weeks/32 months (the end of 2018).
I like 89 weeks... 625 days sounds like way too much... I know instantly that it's 2 years whereas 89 weeks doesn't give off that same 2 year feel. YES i know what i just wrote. Just let me be.

Hey Everyone

I've been lurking around for a few weeks and finally decided to register and say Hi. I love technology and Tesla but the S is currently out of reach. Even if I could afford it, I think it would be pretty hard to convince my husband (and myself) to plonk down that much cash on a vehicle. We use my husband's CUV for longer trips anyways and I prefer to drive a smaller car (currently an 07 G35 coupe) for my ~60 mile round trip daily commute. We are looking to replace the coupe (sad) with a family friendly car soon and the model 3 is the only electric vehicle I'm considering. This is going to be my first *new* vehicle purchase so I'm looking forward to the reveal next month!

This will be our second...I juggled to make the justification for the Model S work, but after 2 years of trying every competing vehicle in its class, I finally realized my experiences in the Model S have ruined me for all ICE vehicles, and for the past six months I have not had a single regret that I made that decision. It was my first new car after 17 years, since GM kept killing all the models I might have considered and now when compared to a Tesla, their inventory seems woefully inadequate on so many levels.

You are going to love the model 3, as will my wife I am certain. Welcome!

Reactions: pikachu
This will be our second...I juggled to make the justification for the Model S work, but after 2 years of trying every competing vehicle in its class, I finally realized my experiences in the Model S have ruined me for all ICE vehicles, and for the past six months I have not had a single regret that I made that decision. It was my first new car after 17 years, since GM kept killing all the models I might have considered and now when compared to a Tesla, their inventory seems woefully inadequate on so many levels.

You are going to love the model 3, as will my wife I am certain. Welcome!

Enjoy your well deserved new car. Definitely worth the wait I'm sure. I haven't taken the S for a test drive specifically for that reason! I'm afraid I won't be able to wait for the model 3 and will somehow make the justification for the S! haha. So I'm going to refrain as long as possible and hold out for the 3. :)