Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking Forward to the Model 3 Debut

How excited are you about the debut?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely the Saleen GTX... it has hood vents, is that colour and the wheels look right. Here's their blurb re: the vents...

Functional V-Shape Aero Hood
Derived from our experience of staying cool on the racetrack, the Saleen V-Shape Aero hood features a functional draft system to help keep things cool when competition heats up. The functionality starts at the accelerator pedal. As you increase acceleration, air speed is used to efficiently move air away from the motor cooling system. This allows for increased airflow across the front section as well as increased downforce.

Not sure if that's about the vents on the top of the hood but anyway. If you do a search for the Saleen GTX you will see pictures of the vents...

Smaller version of an awesome car? I want one.

A Model S look-alike which was shrunk down, I probably still want one, heh.

He also said that he could not comment on how it looked like. So "a smaller version of Model S" tells us it will be a five door "fastback"/liftback 5 seat "sedan" with RWD (and AWD, but that has been confirmed earlier). More or less what most of us have expected all along. But it does not tell us that it will be looking like a smaller TMS...

Surely, we'll get a sunroof and upgraded audio.

Eh, those are exactly the kinds of things I can do without. Things that will have to go on the base model is essentially anything with the word "premium" in it. Audio, Lighting, etc... No doubt this car will be upgradable to the max, but on the base model I think we are looking at a fairly stock vehicle. I hope to be disappointed here, but I just think to knock $35k off the price of the model S you are going to have to let A LOT of things go.

I'm even willing to give up stuff like Maps and anything else I use my phone for already. That falls into the "would be nice" category, but I definitely dont need to spend money on it if it means a cheaper ride.

If what it takes to get to $35k is essentially an electric Corolla (which are quite nice now adays really to my frugal, 2005 corolla driving self), I'm on board. I might add Auto Pilot and Super Charging if the price is right.

I would guess the base M3 will be pretty bare-bones. Much closer to a "normal" car. A electric Corolla is an apt comparison. No automatic door handles, panoramic sunroof, things like that. Probably a smaller battery (how much smaller is a good question, since the base Bolt comes with a 200-mile range battery). I would guess no NAV, no fancy audio, no leather seats, etc, etc. Maybe even no power seats. It will be interesting if they keep the glass cockpit design with the giant screens - I would guess those might even be pared down to smaller dimensions.

Now, I am sure we will be able to spec them out with all the fancies that say a BMW 3-series comes with, but I would guess that will push the price up into the high 40s, low 50s. That is the price point I am expecting to pay for the Model 3 I want.

I would guess the base M3 will be pretty bare-bones. Much closer to a "normal" car. A electric Corolla is an apt comparison. No automatic door handles, panoramic sunroof, things like that. Probably a smaller battery (how much smaller is a good question, since the base Bolt comes with a 200-mile range battery). I would guess no NAV, no fancy audio, no leather seats, etc, etc. Maybe even no power seats. It will be interesting if they keep the glass cockpit design with the giant screens - I would guess those might even be pared down to smaller dimensions.

Now, I am sure we will be able to spec them out with all the fancies that say a BMW 3-series comes with, but I would guess that will push the price up into the high 40s, low 50s. That is the price point I am expecting to pay for the Model 3 I want.

I doubt an "electric Corolla" is what Tesla is shooting for.

It's still going to be a premium, up-scale auto. Tesla is that kind of a brand.

Perhaps an electric 3 series base model BMW or A4 Audi.

I predict the base model will be very well optioned with NAV, etc. But there will be many options in the form of luxury and performance. Starting well equipped at $35K but easily up to $75K will all the options.

It's all there for the looking. Just look at the competition. Look at what comes standard on a $35K BMW 3 series. That is what Tesla has to meet or surpass.

Then look at the BMW M3. There's no way Tesla doesn't offer something to compete.

Last edited:

I will point out that a base BMW 3 series doesn't come with Nav, leather seats, sunroof, automatic door handles or even power seats. Does that make it equivalent to a Corolla? The difference is in the power and handling, and I expect the base Model 3 to drive absolutely nothing like a Corolla.

I will point out that a base BMW 3 series doesn't come with Nav, leather seats, sunroof, automatic door handles or even power seats. Does that make it equivalent to a Corolla? The difference is in the power and handling, and I expect the base Model 3 to drive absolutely nothing like a Corolla.
This . . .
A Corolla implies boring, uninspiring drive coz I have to car.
If the Model 3 is a Corolla then I'm getting the Bolt

Oh, there is no way it will DRIVE like a Corolla. I totally agree there. None of the electrics drive like Corollas. Just that it might be optioned like one in the base model. Or like the base model 3-series you mention. BMW does so like to nickel and dime for features that SHOULD be standard on a car in that class. I always loved that they charge for every exterior paint color except white and black.

Oh, there is no way it will DRIVE like a Corolla. I totally agree there. None of the electrics drive like Corollas.
Just that it might be optioned like one in the base model. Or like the base model 3-series you mention.

BMW does so like to nickel and dime for features that SHOULD be standard on a car in that class.
I always loved that they charge for every exterior paint color except white and black.

Hmm, I think Tesla took a page from the BMW playbook on options ...