Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a P100D Model X with low miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla algorithm responds to mouse clicks...more mouse clicks the less likely price will go down day after day, and may go up on a day. At least in my observations.

That sounds like speculation. Do you have any backup for that claim? Or is it just "your observations"? Because you'd have to click a lot of links multiple times and then record the future price changes for those links, as well as all of the others you didn't click on as a control population.

From my observations in the data and watching price changes by the hour for several years, I highly doubt the pricing algorithm is based on mouse clicks.

Reactions: Energy Dreamer
That sounds like speculation. Do you have any backup for that claim? Or is it just "your observations"? Because you'd have to click a lot of links multiple times and then record the future price changes for those links, as well as all of the others you didn't click on as a control population.

From my observations in the data and watching price changes by the hour for several years, I highly doubt the pricing algorithm is based on mouse clicks.
Sure speculation...but observation as well. I've seen vehicle's prices rise on particular vehicles when I click for pictures a couple times a day...does your web site update every hour or two to show fluctuations like that? Nope. Matter of fact it has an X on it that's been sold for two days now...so yes your data is valuable, but it's not the endall. My observational experience tells me an algorithm is at work here..plain and simple.

Last edited:
does your web site update every hour or two to show fluctuations like that? Nope. M

Yup. At least every hour, or less.

When Tesla updates their prices, it's not for a handful of cars, it's usually across the board with hundreds of price changes applied all at once. It's simply a coincidence or confirmation bias that you're seeing. I'm equally as sure there are many cars you've clicked on that also have dropped in price, since drops in price are much more common then than increases, which typically only happen once per week. Whereas price drops happen constantly. But you only "notice" the price increases since that validates your belief.

The algorithm is pretty much Tesla incrementally drops the price of their fleet by $100 to $500 for between one week and two weeks, and the cars that don't sell, get a big increase in price and the process repeats. It creates a very visible saw-tooth pattern in the price charts.

Yup. At least every hour, or less.

When Tesla updates their prices, it's not for a handful of cars, it's usually across the board with hundreds of price changes applied all at once. It's simply a coincidence or confirmation bias that you're seeing. I'm equally as sure there are many cars you've clicked on that also have dropped in price, since drops in price are much more common then than increases, which typically only happen once per week. Whereas price drops happen constantly. But you only "notice" the price increases since that validates your belief.

The algorithm is pretty much Tesla incrementally drops the price of their fleet by $100 to $500 for between one week and two weeks, and the cars that don't sell, get a big increase in price and the process repeats. It creates a very visible saw-tooth pattern in the price charts.
Bet I can make a car price pop up 400 or 500 by clicking for pictures a bunch...but I'm not trying to steal someone's thread here ....

Ok, I'm open to testing this theory if you can layout exactly what you think you're doing to raise the price, and over what time period.

New cars or used cars or either? You say click "on the photos".. what does that mean, exactly?

Anecdotaly the X i expressed intertest in last evening via different weblinks, browser clients and other methods, over a few hours - went up $700 to the price it was the day before while I was demonstarting/testing my theory, before coming back down sometime after I stopped clikcing around. Yet none of the other VINs aligned in price did so...Was it me causing it to go up - who knows, but my observation is repetitive/multiple interest in a vehicle may effect price...You're the computer guru, run a script and use a TOR...VIN is 53858.

Ok, so what do you mean by "different weblinks" and "other methods"? It's not really possible to run a valid test without all the proper inputs. In order to prove your hypothesis, you'll need to outline a repeatable procedure that more often that not produces a price increase, and then a decrease some short period after that. And then run it against some randomly selected VINs and pick some other similar VINs as controls.

I'm not going to just blindly write a script without knowing exactly what you're doing to cause this hypothetical price change. But I am willing to attempt to repeat your procedures to prove or disprove this hypothesis. That's how science works.

It's interesting they would increase the price rather than continue to decrease till someone bites. They must think they are creating value by increasing it and starting the price drops all over again. Tools like yours uncover the BS in their pricing games by plotting the price history.

Reactions: EV-CPO
I experienced this price fluctuations over the 1.5 months on my search. I ended up keeping an eye on the VIN and noticed the price fluctuate up and down (up towards the weekend, down after Monday). My vehicle I ended up buying also disappeared twice but eventually popped back up at a higher prices. One day I noticed an all time low on the price and that was my trigger to buy. Shortly after, they cancelled Unlimited SC for used cars. Apparently they brought unlimited SC back again.

As a buyer, I almost bought a different one with "fear of missing out" when I noticed the one I ended up buying disappeared. Fortunately I waited. If I recall , I got it for about $6k cheaper when I started monitoring the prices. (It may have actually been in the inventory longer prior to me looking)

It's interesting they would increase the price rather than continue to decrease till someone bites. They must think they are creating value by increasing it and starting the price drops all over again. Tools like yours uncover the BS in their pricing games by plotting the price history.

Well, that's what the data from Tesla said, and the proof is below!

But they've just corrected it back to a more reasonable $49,800.

As far as pricing anomalies from Tesla, only they can answer that.

As any good data or computer scientist would say, "Garbage In, Garbage Out". :)

upload_2020-2-19_18-13-0.png

Last edited:
Well, that's what the data from Tesla said, and the proof is below!

But they've just corrected it back to a more reasonable $49,800.

As far as pricing anomalies from Tesla, only they can answer that.

As any good data computer scientist would say, "Garbage In, Garbage Out". :)

View attachment 512919
Thank you ! yes , I meant anomalies from the Tesla site .
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 3.26.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 3.25.22 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 3.25.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 3.25.41 PM.png
    333.1 KB · Views: 27