Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

looking to buy a tesla s85 around 35k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Life happens, I am in need of another Tesla S85 with rear kid seats or priced right that I can retrofit them in. Have 3 young kids, thought we were done but now have surprise twins on the way. If I can find a suitable car before the end of the year it would be a blessing. I expect I can get funds available and car paid for within 2 weeks of finding one.

Only clean titles, thanks TMC peeps!

Reactions: IdaX
Well Tesla is no help. I asked for a price to get my car retrofitted with the rear seats and they flatly stated they no longer have parts for it and stopped offering to retrofit a year ago...

So basically I need to find a high miles one with the seats that is affordable for me or scour the interwebs for all the necessary parts and attempt this myself then buy a cheaper EV that still needs 100mi of range per day winter included for my commute as my wife will take over the tesla to carry the kids around every day.

To add to this great day of bad news, the Doc that specializes in natrual twin births that we planned on and who our midwife recommended has retired so back to square one there with a very emotional upset wife.

Well Tesla is no help. I asked for a price to get my car retrofitted with the rear seats and they flatly stated they no longer have parts for it and stopped offering to retrofit a year ago...

So basically I need to find a high miles one with the seats that is affordable for me or scour the interwebs for all the necessary parts and attempt this myself then buy a cheaper EV that still needs 100mi of range per day winter included for my commute as my wife will take over the tesla to carry the kids around every day.

To add to this great day of bad news, the Doc that specializes in natrual twin births that we planned on and who our midwife recommended has retired so back to square one there with a very emotional upset wife.
Best wishes for good health for your wife and family.

Generally if there is a good match for me and it is not PM'ed it is sold before I even see it since somone else has by then clicked said link and bought the car...

How about PM the OP then a bit later post them here? -- since it's good for people to see prices and it keeps interest in the thread -- but still give the OP a fighting chance.

PM the man. Then bump his post by saying PM’d a lead or something really cool and interesting ;)

Best wishes OP!

The install isn’t too bad, sourcing is awful and spendy, but someone with seats can reorder the install pieces, minus the bumper reinforcement. You’ll likely have to pay through the nose via eBay for that piece.

$35K is a tough price to hit.

Here are a couple of options I found in the ballpark:
Autotrader - page unavailable

Autotrader - page unavailable

There are a bunch up for auction on EBay currently under $35K. You could bid on some until you win one, but that might take a while.

Edit - the link says "Page Unavailable" but they work when I click on them on my computer.

thanks but no rear facing seats in either of those, and #1 was a 60kw which is not large enough for our travels

Here I am thinking that leaving an SUV for a Model S might be difficult with my wife and 2 small kids, and you're planning to haul 5 kids and 2 adults around in one?

How will you possibly have enough cargo space to bring your family anywhere? I'm pretty sure there's no tandem stroller for your twins that will fit in the frunk with diaper bags and all of the other accessories that come along with children. Putting cargo in the rear with kids in the jump seats would be a huge safety concern for me.

Those rear-facing seats are meant for occasional use, as evidenced by the lack of proper climate control, and a lack of physical controls for anything except opening the hatch in an emergency. It's your life and your decision, but unless you want to double your budget for a Model X, you may want to consider true 7-passenger vehicles from brands besides Tesla. If you're firm on spending $35K, opening your search will provide you with other vehicle options that are more suited for you and your growing family.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
We packed up in our MS w/ 7 bags, two car seats and 5 people (Wife, Myself, 3 kids 12, 4, 2 w/RFS), plus a tandem stroller. Didn’t even need to throw the roof topper on.

RWD helps since we have the microwave space for the pack n play... and for the OP, he could use a roof topper if the RFS are occupied and the car is full

It’s silly how much you can cram in an S and all occupants still be comfortable.

We packed up in our MS w/ 7 bags, two car seats and 5 people (Wife, Myself, 3 kids 12, 4, 2 w/RFS), plus a tandem stroller. Didn’t even need to throw the roof topper on.

RWD helps since we have the microwave space for the pack n play... and for the OP, he could use a roof topper if the RFS are occupied and the car is full

It’s silly how much you can cram in an S and all occupants still be comfortable.

Add 2 more kids to that list, and their additional cargo. With that said, you'd be comfortable recommending a Model S? For me, it would be MX or bust!

Here I am thinking that leaving an SUV for a Model S might be difficult with my wife and 2 small kids, and you're planning to haul 5 kids and 2 adults around in one?

How will you possibly have enough cargo space to bring your family anywhere? I'm pretty sure there's no tandem stroller for your twins that will fit in the frunk with diaper bags and all of the other accessories that come along with children. Putting cargo in the rear with kids in the jump seats would be a huge safety concern for me.

Those rear-facing seats are meant for occasional use, as evidenced by the lack of proper climate control, and a lack of physical controls for anything except opening the hatch in an emergency. It's your life and your decision, but unless you want to double your budget for a Model X, you may want to consider true 7-passenger vehicles from brands besides Tesla. If you're firm on spending $35K, opening your search will provide you with other vehicle options that are more suited for you and your growing family.

We are expert packers, and pack minimally. Also would be engineering my own rear cooling ducts and vents or take the easy snake option to pump cool air back there.

Also 90% of driving for her will be short trips around town, school, swim lessons, shopping ect. Other 10% would be cross country multi day trips that with cooling piped in will be fine.

Oh and we will wear the smallest babies, the others can walk by that point.

We are expert packers, and pack minimally. Also would be engineering my own rear cooling ducts and vents or take the easy snake option to pump cool air back there.

Also 90% of driving for her will be short trips around town, school, swim lessons, shopping ect. Other 10% would be cross country multi day trips that with cooling piped in will be fine.

Oh and we will wear the smallest babies, the others can walk by that point.

Just curious, is the green factor your primary motivation for the compromise in versatility?