Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a used Model S. Looking for clarification on years.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gotham33

May 17, 2022
LA
Hey all. Looking to get a Tesla. Most likely a Model S (AWD and longer range preferred, don't need performance). Trying to keep it under $50k, but can probably stretch to $55k, maybe $60k.

1. From my research so far it seems like 2016 or later is the move. I've seen some people mention that some of the 100D models have free, unlimited supercharging for life (but that it ended in 2017? does that mean 2017 model year 100Ds have it or don't have it?).

2. The other thing I'm unclear on is if 2016-2018 models can be updated to the latest autopilot. Do they have all the necessary cameras for that?

3. Does mileage even matter much for these cars?

4. Has anyone ever bought one off Shift, Carvana, etc?

The model year is less important than the build date or order date, depending on what info you’re looking for. If I recall correctly, free unlimited supercharging was in effect for cars ordered before mid-January 2017, so the model year could be either 2016 or 2017. For Autopilot, Tesla upgraded Model S from HW1 to HW2 in October 2016, and HW1 cars are not able to upgrade to FSD capabilities. There were also design changes in spring of 2016 that may impact the frunk size, wheels, and center console availability.

Unless you need the extra space of an S, I agree with the previous reply that you should look for a new(er) 3 or Y instead.

There have been literally a dozen threads on this subject.

HW2 came out in the fall of 2016. Free Unlimited Supercharging ended for cars ordered after January 2017 which means the VIN could extend into roughly late February early March 2017. If Tesla ever took title to the car (trade in, Pre-Owned) they strip out the Free Unlimited Super Charging before reselling it. That gives you about a five month production window.

You can look around but there are so few cars that meet this rigid requirement that you could be waiting a long time before one shows up let alone in the color you prefer. I haven't seen one in a while but they would probably fetch more than $60K with the FSD option.

With respect to your question assuming you have HW2 you can update to the required newer cameras and hardware.

And lastly there is a huge difference between a model S and a model 3/Y.

$60K for 5 year old Model S is crazy.
They will be out of warranty and known to have expensive issues. Suspension, Door handles etc. Also short on range.

Get a new 3 or Y for that price range.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the build quality of the 3. Also think it might be a bit small for what we need.

I love the Y, but it's over $60k. A Model S can be had under $55k fairly easily.

I've heard a lot of people complain about the build quality of the 3. Also think it might be a bit small for what we need.

I love the Y, but it's over $60k. A Model S can be had under $55k fairly easily.
You hear complaints about build quality because people who don’t have issues don’t say so here. We’ve had no build quality issues with our 2018 3.

$5k more for a new Y vs. a 6-year-old S is strongly worth considering.

dont overestimate the value of free supercharging..

Think about how much you truly will be roadtripping. Some rely heavily on supercharging, others are like me who literally use SC maybe 3 times a year max. Rest of the time I charge overnight in my garage.

And short answer..you dont want any S older than 2017. Id go so far as to say 2018 at this point. And if 2018's arent in your price range, I'd not get an S

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Hey all. Looking to get a Tesla. Most likely a Model S (AWD and longer range preferred, don't need performance). Trying to keep it under $50k, but can probably stretch to $55k, maybe $60k.

1. From my research so far it seems like 2016 or later is the move. I've seen some people mention that some of the 100D models have free, unlimited supercharging for life (but that it ended in 2017? does that mean 2017 model year 100Ds have it or don't have it?).

2. The other thing I'm unclear on is if 2016-2018 models can be updated to the latest autopilot. Do they have all the necessary cameras for that?

3. Does mileage even matter much for these cars?

4. Has anyone ever bought one off Shift, Carvana, etc?
1) Free Unlimited Supercharging ended in early 2017. We have pretty in-depth posts about it here and here. If you drive a lot or like to travel, it's a wonderful thing to have.

2) Tesla started making AP2 cars (the hardware version that can be updated) in late 2016, around the October/November time frame. For this reason, there are actually some Model S P100D vehicles that are AP1, but most in that battery size will be AP2. Everything late 2016 and forward can be updated to the latest AP version. We have filters on our listings to search by AP version, hardware, etc. You can find those here.

3) Mileage matters to an extent--the suspension still has wheel bearings and other things that can wear out. That said, mileage doesn't matter nearly as much (or in the same way) as with a gasoline-powered vehicle.

4) We're a little biased here, but people have reported good experiences with both of those marketplaces. One thing they lack is the ability to filter on Autopilot specific terms and features, as we offer, which can make shopping a little easier.

If you've got any other questions, feel free to drop us a line either in DM or at FindMyElectric.com!

I thought Teslas were reliable, but the comments here are giving me doubts?
Teslas are reliable, but older models will have older technology and shorter or no warranty coverage. Your initial approach to figuring out what you get/don’t get in an older Model S is a good one, but at the end of the day you‘ll have to decide what’s important to you. Plenty of people buy older Teslas and are happy with them, but some people want newer hardware features.

I thought Teslas were reliable, but the comments here are giving me doubts?
I was in your same boat. I was between a model Y and used S. I ended up going used S but would mention I got the 4 year CPO warranty right before they changed it to 1 year. What are your needs? I have 3 boys so I ended up going with the 2017 model S (coming from a new 2018 model 3). The Y is a good sweet spot but the warranty and space for me made the used S better. As said before I would go with refreshed model S and HW 2.5 or above to avoid needing camera upgrade. You can also search for used teslas with MCU2 already installed. Honestly FSD is a gimmick (and mine was included). Outside of auto lane change AP is more than enough. FSD is a pipe dream until 2024 or later. Take what Elon says and add 2-4 years.

Reactions: brico84