Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy a used Model S performance/AWD model - what do I need to know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re welcome to provide data at any time as you’re clearly the expert here on Tesla battery failures AND the reliability of every other high performance ICE car on the road. I mean, it’s pretty remarkable we’ve gotten on this long without you!

But we’re super glad you’re here now. You seem like you’re gonna fit right in!
Lol, agree 💯. He should just buy an AMG and move on! Teslas are not for everyone, definitely not for the OP!!

43247CD1-AA67-48BD-9D0A-ED4837AA3CC7.gif

The 3 is from the Germans, go figure.

Goodnight new friend. Let us know if you need help picking out a used Merc!

I enjoyed this thread... lol. I gladly sold my old Merc for the Tesla I have. I've had a few issues with my Tesla, but nothing compared to the cost of keeping my old MB road worthy.

Nobody here is mentioning the 8 years/unlimited miles battery and motor warranty nor the 3rd party warranties available. You get a 2019 and the most expensive parts are covered till 2027.

I enjoyed this thread... lol. I gladly sold my old Merc for the Tesla I have. I've had a few issues with my Tesla, but nothing compared to the cost of keeping my old MB road worthy.

Nobody here is mentioning the 8 years/unlimited miles battery and motor warranty nor the 3rd party warranties available. You get a 2019 and the most expensive parts are covered till 2027.
Whatever works for you, that's the right thing to do.
I'm interested in a performance model, but if I cant rely on one used because (according to this thread they are to be avoided and factory support is non-existent) then I'm better off with another AMG/M, etc.

I've previously had an SL55 AMG roadster and a CSL 63 AMG sedan, as well as an M3, M5, and a few other non-AMG/M bimmers and mercs.
They can run for hundreds of thousands of miles maintained if you know what to fix.

It's all about personal preference really, and I'm really interested in an F90 M5 now more than anything else... as I can get a CPO one for a lot less than a new model S, and do something the Tesla can't do, and that is put it in a HPDE at COTA, auto-x, etc.

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Wow!
For what it’s worth, I have two nosecone model S (2014 and 2015) for daily commute. Will be selling most of our gas cars, including a BMW, and adding another Tesla ( arriving in August). I would guess that if you have been fine with the reliability of AMG and M cars, you would be happy with the reliability of a Tesla. Generally, insulting people might not be the best way to get their help.

I didn't insult anyone
You are as honest as you are good looking! 😆

You’re not here for information, you’re here to confirm a bias. I suggested Teslas are at least as reliable and serviceable as your average AMG or M car from the last 10 years (the “information” you claim to be here for), then directly answered your question as to specific models to look out for. In response you came in hotter than a Proud Boy at a “European Heritage” festival and absolutely lost your fragile little mind.

It’s not a good look, friend.

You are as honest as you are good looking! 😆

You’re not here for information, you’re here to confirm a bias. I suggested Teslas are at least as reliable and serviceable as your average AMG or M car from the last 10 years (the “information” you claim to be here for), then directly answered your question as to specific models to look out for. In response you came in hotter than a Proud Boy at a “European Heritage” festival and absolutely lost your fragile little mind.

It’s not a good look, friend.
Oh geeze, you again.

I think the tread would have been a lot better off for EVERYONE had you not chimed in starting out with "to be fair" telling me what my motives are, when I came here and said - in plain English - what do I need to look out for? I only started talking about the german rides after a "whoa... what a min" period.

You can make any claim you want about reliability, but you have no data to back it up, none.

Furthermore, talking about having balls cupped and fragile little minds tells me what any mental health professional knows - and that is that people project onto you how they see themselves.

I personally don't give a **** what you think about me. But it does kind of make me chuckle knowing that some bitchy little Commieforniacunt would get so triggered over the mere mention of german high-performance luxury brands in a forum about cars that cost well over $100K.

I've been eyeing performance models as well. Mostly 2016-17 P100DL and a few P90DL. I've noticed some getting cheaper on the Tesla used site before being snatched up.

Does anyone know what to watch out for, especially concerning motor or battery lifespan being inhibited at all by being "launched", or driven hard, often? Has anyone bought a used P100DL and experienced drivetrain or battery issues (beyond a bit more range loss than they might have expected)? I know they would be under warranty.. for now. But planning to keep beyond the 2024-2025 timeframe when the 8yr drivetrain warranty would be up.

Batteries degrade and are less powerful as they age. Here's a relevant video of a P100D with 100k on the clock running against a new M3P:

If a car has really been beaten up, some of the drivetrain components such as the axles can wear. That's true of any car though, not just Tesla.

Reactions: nicedrum
You really are a passive aggressive little dipshit. You are accusing me of doing EXACTLY what you did. Dumbass.
I NEVER made any claims about Tesla data, I came here to learn about them. YOU are the one proclaiming that german cars are all basically just time bombs. Get over yourself.
Man, I'm glad this turd won't be around much longer.

And ucmndd with respect, insincerities are annoying, like when someone sarcastically says "good luck", or referring to an arse as "friend".

GlockenSpiel, all Teslas get the milling sound after 10k miles, meaning one or both drive units have to be replaced. The main packs get one or two bad modules and the whole pack has to be replaced for $30k. And they always have the potential to catch a fire which can not be put out, sometimes in your garage.​

• Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Easy there. As you can see, the car is awesome, the tech is awesome, but the politics behind it are not. There's a lot of very opinionated and politically biased members as you've seen, just do your research, make your own decision and buy what you think is right for you.

Politics or fanboyism has nothing to do with it. Playing nice and having manners does.

I'm a native Texan and lived there for 50 years so I understand the culture, but southern gentlemen do not tear somebody's face off without due cause. This guy -can't- be an Austin native, unless his background is lower blue-collar. (Although he would assure us he is wealthy beyond our wildest dreams)

Bullies only understand force.

I've been eyeing performance models as well. Mostly 2016-17 P100DL and a few P90DL. I've noticed some getting cheaper on the Tesla used site before being snatched up.

Does anyone know what to watch out for, especially concerning motor or battery lifespan being inhibited at all by being "launched", or driven hard, often? Has anyone bought a used P100DL and experienced drivetrain or battery issues (beyond a bit more range loss than they might have expected)? I know they would be under warranty.. for now. But planning to keep beyond the 2024-2025 timeframe when the 8yr drivetrain warranty would be up.
I would avoid the 90s but that is just from some of the degradation I had seen a while back. not sure how they are actually fairing though?
Man, I'm glad this turd won't be around much longer.

And ucmndd with respect, insincerities are annoying, like when someone sarcastically says "good luck", or referring to an arse as "friend".

GlockenSpiel, all Teslas get the milling sound after 10k miles, meaning one or both drive units have to be replaced. The main packs get one or two bad modules and the whole pack has to be replaced for $30k. And they always have the potential to catch a fire which can not be put out, sometimes in your garage.​

'catch a fire' WTF? like a cold or something