Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy used X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plenty of pre-delivery checklists on here that can be applied to used vehicles. As far as degredation, ask the owner to charge it to 100% and send you a photo of the rated miles on the display. This may or may not be completely accurate based on the previous owners charging habits, but should at least show you a good idea at what the car can do, at a minimum.

Have you looked at the used offerings directly from Tesla?

Lastly, if you can wait a couple months, the refreshed X will be coming out. This should make the used inventory larger as people trade in their older Tesla's, as well as drop the price of the used vehicles a bit.

Ask the owner if there were any shudder issues (although it could be that all MX's have this issue but show up depending on the driver apparently).

I think the vertical screens will actually be sought after by second-hand users because not everyone likes the horizontal screens so the price might not drop a whole lot just because of the refresh, which is largely cosmetic and actually has range drop!

I am looking to buy a used X. Can I check the battery degeneration? I drive about 30k miles a year so, I think I need a 100D. What other things should I look for?
Buying private party or directly from Tesla? If by private party, the easiest way is to have the owner open up the Tesla app, go to “Charging” and move the slider all the way to the right. The current 100% range will display at the bottom left side of the battery indicator. If you’re buying directly from Tesla, the only way you’ll be able to check is on delivery day. Which battery size are you looking at; 60, 75, 90, or 100?

I just bought a 2017 X 100D directly from Tesla a couple weeks ago. Happy to answer any questions on the process, but this site already has catalogued many experiences. I cast a wide net, but felt I got a decent deal direct (but no pictures ahead of time??? bold move, Cotton). You've probably thought through the trade-off, but I currently don't want to own any Tesla out of warranty, which is another reason why I bought direct from Tesla. I would check out x-care for extended warranty options: X-Care - Xcelerate Auto

They provide straight forward pricing details once you enter car details (model/year/miles). I don't have a warranty through them yet, but will consider them first as my X gets closer to exiting Tesla's warranty (Sep 2022 for me).

Just as a data point, my car has just shy of 40K miles and 100% (per app) is showing 287 miles (so loss of 8 miles, 2.7% over 3.5 yrs), which I was pleasantly surprised to see.

I also lucked out and it had PPF on the entire half front of car (sans glass), although the hood PPF was so beat up I had them remove it. Currently getting estimates to re-add PPF to the hood. I'm very impressed with the beating the PPF took (rock chips, etc.) and kept the paint near-mint.

Good luck!

MCU1 can be upgraded for $1500 to MCU2. AP2 cameras can be upgraded to AP3. HW2 can be upgraded to HW3. I see no reason a pre march 2018 car is less desirable.......
Paying money to upgrade a used car is often not a wise invest. Why not get a later car that has new electronics, newer battery, newer interior design, later engineering, and components with less age if the budget allows.

I agree this is the easiest way, but would also note that the display setting in the car has to be set to distance (miles) for this to work.
Good to know. Mine is always set for “miles”, so I never knew that would make a difference. By the way...I’ve got to make a trip to your fair city next week. My X has never been “snow tested’. I hear you’ve got plenty up there and more to come. I’ll get to test my new tires out.

Paying money to upgrade a used car is often not a wise invest. Why not get a later car that has new electronics, newer battery, newer interior design, later engineering, and components with less age if the budget allows.
In this case (and as one who is speaking from experience), this is a wise use of “upgrade funds”. Because I had recently purchased my used 2017 MX 100D, it would’ve taken another $35,000 or so to get a new car. I gladly plopped down the (at that time) $2500.

In this case (and as one who is speaking from experience), this is a wise use of “upgrade funds”. Because I had recently purchased my used 2017 MX 100D, it would’ve taken another $35,000 or so to get a new car. I gladly plopped down the (at that time) $2500.
Incorrect comparison. What would the difference be to get a 2018 post March X? That is the one that had the MCU changes and I believe new interior.

But at the end of the day as long as you are happy with your purchase is all that matters. Tesla constantly changes their cars. No doubt when I get my next one the next month will add new features, changes the price, or throw in freebees.

Last edited:
Reactions: KentuckyX
Get a post March 2018 if possible. MCU2 (big 17" display and associated computer) and better AP hardware

I used to also advise people to look for after March 2018, until the MCU2 upgrade came along. AP hardware did not change at the same time. AP2 to AP2.5 was August 2017. AP2.5 to AP3.0 was March 2019.

What would the difference be to get a 2018 post March X? That is the one that had the MCU changes and I believe new interior.
I am not aware of any interior update that occurred along with MCU2, except I think the color of the bezel and some of the dash trim.

When someone is shopping for a used car, there is always a trade off of budget, what you want, and what you find in a near enough place. I think doing a $1500 MCU2 upgrade to an MCU1 car is easily within the variability of used car prices and can be an excellent option. Other than MCU2, I can’t think of any major changes from August 2017 until the Ravens came out.

Last edited:
I used to also advise people to look for after March 2018, until the MCU2 upgrade came along. AP hardware did not change at the same time. AP2 to AP2.5 was August 2017. AP2.5 to AP3.0 was March 2019.

I am not aware of any interior update that occurred along with MCU2, except I think the color of the bezel and some of the dash trim.

When someone is shopping for a used car, there is always a trade off of budget, what you want, and what you find in a near enough place. I think doing a $1500 MCU2 upgrade to an MCU1 car is easily within the variability of used car prices and can be an excellent option. Other than MCU2, I can’t think of any major changes from August 2017 until the Ravens came out.

For sure the interior color options changed. Our original color choice was dropped and replaced with tan and oak trim. Also, the shiny backs on the front seats were dropped at some point, not sure if that was earlier. None of these interior changes were tied to MCU2, but occurred in early 2018, and carried forward.

For sure the interior color options changed. Our original color choice was dropped and replaced with tan and oak trim. Also, the shiny backs on the front seats were dropped at some point, not sure if that was earlier. None of these interior changes were tied to MCU2, but occurred in early 2018, and carried forward.
Shiny to matte seat backs changed March 2017.

7-seat monoposts changed to bench fold-down in July 2017.

Also in July 2017, leather seat options disappeared. The options became black, white or cream vegan or textile black.

They redefined what is in the premium upgrades package at least twice in 2017.

In June 2018, they changed the wood that comes with the cream interior from a darker walnut(?) to a light oak.

July 2018 the Premium upgrades package became part of the base model.

October 2018 is when they eliminated a number of options for both interior and exterior. I know textile seats, console for 6 seater, silver and obsidian black exteriors were eliminated. I don’t recall any new ones being offered at that time, as they were simplifying for manufacturing ease.

The Raven came out spring 2019.

Constant little things changing, but these are mostly cosmetic choices until the Raven. Perhaps the biggest change I listed here is when the PUP started being a part of the base model. Prior to that, the car might not have all options. Still, Aug 2017 to Spring 2019 model X can be essentially the same if MCU2 upgrade is done for any build before March 2018. And arguably those before Aug 2017, with AP2.0, are also close to the same with the MCU2 upgrade.

@jjuday30

I bought from Tesla (mine shipped a few days ago, it’s coming to FL from CO). The one thing I can tell you about battery information when buying pre-owned from Tesla is that they are not going to give you definitive information. All they’re going to tell you is that they have tested the car to be “within acceptable battery degradation” range. I pushed my sales advisor and I couldn’t get anything beyond that. Very general statements, very non-commital. All very scary (this is my first EV).

I’m hoping for the best!

Jose

@Bigriver

That is AWESOME information! Thanks! My MX is a Feb 2017 build, so I’m assuming:

- It’’s going to have shiny seat backs
- I’m getting the white interior. Will mine be leather? Or was that color always vegan?
- Will the seats be perforated? (I don’t have PUP)

Thanks!
You will definitely have the shiny backs (unless the previous owner upgraded somehow). I’ve got an April build and my white seats are vegan, which I think they were starting to phase in to replace the perforated white seats at that time. Check back in when you get it and let us know how everything turned out.

Buying private party or directly from Tesla? If by private party, the easiest way is to have the owner open up the Tesla app, go to “Charging” and move the slider all the way to the right. The current 100% range will display at the bottom left side of the battery indicator. If you’re buying directly from Tesla, the only way you’ll be able to check is on delivery day. Which battery size are you looking at; 60, 75, 90, or 100?
I see that this is how people are getting the max range on their cars. My question is how does a 2017 100D end up with 345 miles of range??

This listing here: 2017 Used Tesla Model X 100D. 6 Seat. Deep Blue. White. Enhanced Autopilot. 59,270-miles. $58,899. Austin. Texas

They have a screenshot showing 345 miles. Are we sure this is an accurate reference?

Also, I have seen several other 100D listing mileage in this range. Any idea how this happens? I am also looking for a used Model X and 345 miles of range on a 2017 seems too good to be true.