Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to buy, what to lookout for and what changes are done over time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Im looking for a secondhands Model S. Everyone wants the best for there buck (or Euro in this case).
1. My biggest question at the moment is if i buy something with FSD or Autopilot will Tesla disable it, its not like salvage or is it? Would they disable supercharging?
2. Battery is importent so maybe i can check the revision by what year the car was build,or just check at the wheel but i will not visit all of them. Also i know the 85 was limited for supercharging, maybe its a specific revision?
3.Does dual motor make a difference with performance? I think a performance model would be expensive.
4. Can i just go to a service center to transfer the car?

If you buy from Tesla, whatever the specs say it has is what it will come with, they may have disabled it before giving you the specs but that will be clear to you that the car doesn't have FSD. If you buy from a private it won't get disabled. supercharging may get disabled if salvaged, but not from a private sale.
2. No they all can get affected, though if you get a newer battery V3 it would be the best one
3. Yes dual motors are faster.
4. You have to do that online, idk about euro spec cars though

I intend to buy from private a person, forgot to mention that.
My fear is this: https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127243/tesla-model-s-autopilot-disabled-remotely-used-car-update.
I don't know if this happens in Europe too.

2. I don't know what a V3 battery is. there are rivisions; A, B, C, ... I noticed there were changes to the cooling. Some are limited at supercharger because they have less cooling: Decoding Your Tesla Battery Pack Version.

3. Intresting, did not know that. i notice more cars have dual motor as they have performance.
4. Do you have any info on how? I tought best case you ask the old user to tranfer he's account by changing the email and done?

If you choose private seller they have to transfer ownership as well Tesla does have to, this is long wait but can be quick as well. Better get all information from the seller before attempting to buy.
-I believe EU has limited the autopilot capabilities so can’t say for FSD be useable. I have AP1 and recent limitation was auto lane change.
-V3 means battery production version three. It’s the latest replacement applied for the affected cars
-Dual motors does not evidently means performance, for the later it’s a equipment level i.e. faster model

Good luck with the car!

If you choose private seller they have to transfer ownership as well Tesla does have to
Why does Tesla need to be involved for every transfer of a car? I can see people giving you the keys and thats it. I think most sellers do not know this. Maybe i need to ask Tesla.
The problem with this is that they know you buy this car so they have the oppertunity to remove FSD, free supercharging, autopilot or even try to charge you premium connectivity for a car that allready had all this.

I would like to know more on this V3 battery, i cant seem to find any version on the example below
Tesla-Model-X-90kWh-P90D-Battery.jpg

My experience was totally horrible with Tesla CPO, here in Florida I could not see, touch, drive the car till it was fully paid for and transferred. I had money in hand. Tesla rep would not let me see car. I walked out. Bought from private seller. The thing u might want is a car that still has unlimited super charging, depending on your trips. I've been all over USA, the free charging was so great. Not sure I would use self driving in Europe, I remember well over 160km driving, not sure I want the car in control approaching 200+ kmph.
I lived in Germany for ten years, your winters are brutal. 4x4 dual motors will really be great in your snow and ice. I've been to Brussels hundreds of times, loved it there. I was in NATO, been to Mons a lot.
Good luck.

I think you need to tell us about some of your constraints like pricing. I bought two model S is used in the last year both from Tesla and love them. I would find the cheapest one that works for you with the longest warranty direct from Tesla.

In about 30,000 miles of driving between the two cars I’ve supercharged maybe 20 times and most of that was when i picked them up, one in New Jersey one in Florida. The supercharging speed getting lowered by Tesla is not really a big deal for most people but having a warranty that covers absolutely everything is.

You battery is a 90, so Im pretty sure it is not a v3. probably a V2.

Dual motor, non performance are my favorites. All Teslas are fast enough for me. The Dual motor is more efficient than single motor or performance, and has the best range. And it is way better in the snow.

The owner should be able to see whether or not his free supercharging transfers over. It will say on his account. Each car is different, so this is the only way to check. You will likely have to pay for premium connectivity, only a some cars from 2016 and earlier are grandfathered in, and I believe it is original owner only. The paperwork when people bought it made it pretty clear that is was in a free beta period that wold expire. Autopilot and FSD were distinct packages paid for, so the seller should be able to sell that value. I have not heard that Tesla is removing these, and they did not when I bought from a private party. The only remove it when Tesla buys the car and then resells it... which if it is their car, they have every right to.

They will not disable supercharging just for a transfer (albeit you ight hav eto pay for it). I would not worry about the slower rate of charge on older batteries. I mean, if you have the money, go for it. But otherwise, it is not a big deal. My wife's is capped out at 90Kw. Mine makes it to 140Kw at most chargers, and 180 at v3 chargers. But my faster charging speeds rarely come in handy. First of all, many chargers are pretty full, so you are unlikely to get the full wattage anyways. Many of teh most useful chargers are urban chargers and is capped at 72Kw. Second, because of the taper, it really doesnt make a difference if you are charging to 80 or above. It makes a difference from 10-50, but the second half is the same. Usually when doing a full charge you are eating/shopping, and my wife's is more convenient. In either case, we are rushing, with my car we are rushing 10 minutes faster. Finally, the slower charge is better for your battery. Once a year, when I am driving from San Francisco to LA/San Diego, and I stop at a v3 charger in teh middle of the dessert... that is the only time it is useful. For me anyways.

Reactions: Iceh8r
Why does Tesla need to be involved for every transfer of a car?

I think you now know about the transfer of ownership, it will happen anyhow.

...they know you buy this car so they have the oppertunity to remove FSD, free supercharging, autopilot or even try to charge you premium connectivity for a car that already had all this.

As previously been mentioned if selecting private seller, you need to know what was initially listed on the car for the previous owner and to confirm that functions are activated (i.e. AP, EAP, FSD). Older version of cars had also special “packets” that was sold separately, if hot activated then they do not function on the car. So if the car has activated AP then you can use it, so is with the supercharging. I haven’t yet heard in EU that you need to pay for premium connectivity...

I would like to know more on this V3 battery, i cant seem to find any version on the example below

If this is the battery sticker of your selected car, that part no. can give you some information about the production data. I have lost the links found here but somewhere on this web page are discussions about it, so worth looking.

I found it:
V1 = 1063792
V2 = 1071394
V3 = 1088792

I assume V3 has better cooling

Ordered by priority, i will be looking for:
1. a black S
2. at least a 85
3. free supercharging
4. I would like dual motor
5. Autopilot
6. Performance
7. anything else extra

Also i care about the battery, not about waranty as i intend to give it a facelift if it does not have it and do the mcu1 fix if needed.

Any other recommendations?

Thank you all for the replies

Unless you have concrete plans for it, don’t worry about free super charging. For most people it’s not useful.

also, best deals are on colors that are least desirable like brown or red. Buy one of those, save 5k or more (I saved 8k on a brown) and if it bothers you just wrap it for $2500

just suggestions from owning two s right now :)

I found it:

1. a black S
2. at least a 85
3. free supercharging
5. Autopilot
6. Performance
7. anything else extra

Also i care about the battery, not about waranty as i intend to give it a facelift if it does not have it and do the mcu1 fix if needed.

Unless you have concrete plans for it, don’t worry about free super charging. For most people it’s not useful.
Well i don't like to be limited, i also noticed cars show up as free supercharging, is that not for all or are the first ones unlimited and the newer ones are limited to 400kw free if i remember correct?

also, best deals are on colors that are least desirable like brown or red. Buy one of those, save 5k or more (I saved 8k on a brown) and if it bothers you just wrap it for $2500
Most i see are black anyway, i do not really care for now, can allways wrap or paint again indeed.

Well i don't like to be limited, i also noticed cars show up as free supercharging, is that not for all or are the first ones unlimited and the newer ones are limited to 400kw free if i remember correct?

The Free Supercharging isn't a big deal UNLESS....
1) you live next to a Supercharger....like literally. I have no idea on your personal background, but for most people, the idea of 'finish work, don't go home, go queue at SC, charge, then go home, repeat every couple of days subject to miles/km used' gets old very very quickly.
2) you do road trips that actually has a lot of SC along the route

-The D...(75D, 85D, 90D) awd would be better for you
-The P is a nice to have only.......and to impress friends

I found it:

1. a black S
2. at least a 85
3. free supercharging
5. Autopilot
6. Performance
7. anything else extra

UHFS if you like better stereo.