Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to do a few things to my M3LR before the summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hamm

Espresso enthusiast and taco connoisseur
Jul 23, 2021
Toronto
Hello everyone!

I’ve been scouring the internet and these forums for a bit but finding any reliable answers has been kinda tough. I have a mid 2021 M3LR and I’m looking to lower it by about 0.75-1in max, as well as put another set of 18s or 19s that are bit nicer looking and lighter than my stock 18s and 19 sport wheels.

I guess what I’m wondering is, has anyone done this to their M3LR? I’m looking to make the car slightly more efficient while also making the gap around the tires and wheelhouses look a bit less ridiculous. I know there are a few brands out there, anyone recommend anything in particular?

As the weather has warmed I’ve already noticed the increase in range from my 18 winters to my 19 summers. Does anyone have any 18 or 19 rim and tire recommendations that look sharp on an MSM?

Of course any photos of that level of drop or nicer wheels is very much appreciated!

Lots of people have tried springs only, which is the cheap way to lower. If you look around here, you'll find some mixed experiences with that, and a lot of comments that the ride is pretty bad.

You're in Canada, so Mountain Pass Performance is your go-to, and they have a great reputation. Their comfort coilovers are $1800 USD, and are the proper way to lower a car, and get great reviews.

There is an enormous thread on aftermarket wheels:

As the weather has warmed I’ve already noticed the increase in range from my 18 winters to my 19 summers.
EV's always get much better range in the warm than cold as a lot of energy goes into keeping you warm in the cabin. This is more likely the temp than the tires you are noticing. Same thing- lowering the car is not really going to give you a noticeable range improvement if that is a primary goal.

Lots of people have tried springs only, which is the cheap way to lower. If you look around here, you'll find some mixed experiences with that, and a lot of comments that the ride is pretty bad.

You're in Canada, so Mountain Pass Performance is your go-to, and they have a great reputation. Their comfort coilovers are $1800 USD, and are the proper way to lower a car, and get great reviews.

There is an enormous thread on aftermarket wheels:

EV's always get much better range in the warm than cold as a lot of energy goes into keeping you warm in the cabin. This is more likely the temp than the tires you are noticing. Same thing- lowering the car is not really going to give you a noticeable range improvement if that is a primary goal.
I’ve read mixed things on the springs. Seems the Eibach ones actually do a decent job over the stock ones for a slight improvement of comfort. My main reason for lowering it is to make the car look a little less goofy above the tires. However I might just do coilovers.

I’m so iffy on the 19 V2 sport. I swear I wake up either loving or hating them every day