Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to join the Tesla community and have a few questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've put 14,000 miles on a 2013 S 60 I bought in June. So much for needing an 85 or 90 kw battery lol. If you're driving local battery capacity doesn't mean much. I've done a few long distance trips but with a little pre-planning there were no issues. In fact I bought the car on the east coast and drove it to the middle of the country right after test driving it. Oh and free supercharging is awesome. :) Find what you like and go with it. My car doesn't have AP and I really don't mind because I love driving the car. And once you drive one small differences in 0-60 times won't matter. The car is much more responsive in acceleration than any gas car I've owned. Good luck!

Reactions: MC408 and EV-CPO
I too am considering buying a CPO Tesla 85D. I iike the longer range of the 85 vs 70 and prefer the AWD due to the weather and local driving conditions. I was hoping some of the experts here could provide some opinions on fair pricing, assuming no material damage beyond normal wear/tear with mileage in the 30-50k range. The information earlier in this string has been very helpful on features to consider.

A couple I've been looking at are below.
Model S 85D 5YJSA1H20FF092433 | Tesla
Model S 85D 5YJSA1E26FF106792 | Tesla
Model S 85D 5YJSA1E22FF103971 | Tesla

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reactions: MC408
Thats where it gets confusing. I would assume what you're saying is correct but the specs provided on Tesla.com suggest otherwise. The specs on both 90D(not the P) I provided link to show one with 294 range and 4.2 sec 0-60 while the other one has a range of 265 miles and 5.4 sec 0-60. So how is it the one that's faster also has more range? Unless its a misprint but when speaking to a Tesla rep he assured me the specs are accurate.

I'm 99% sure that the 0-60 times on the Tesla CPO site are wrong. The 85D and 90D vehicles received a software update in 2015 that lowered the 0-60 acceleration time to 4.2 seconds (from 5.4s). I found the attached table with the various Model S specs online somewhere (Wikipedia?) and this seems to be accurate.

The ranges listed on the Tesla CPO site are also wrong. The all wheel drive versions ("D") have longer ranges than the rear wheel drive versions with the same battery size.

FWIW, I bought a used 2015 90D from Tesla a few months ago (August 2018). I think the original (new) range was 286 but it's 270 miles fully charged now. I charge it to 80% normally, which is about 220 miles. Now that it's freezing again (where I live), the range is definitely lower than advertised with the heat on.

Attachments

• Model S specs by version.PNG
    Model S specs by version.PNG
    95.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Informative
Reactions: MC408
I too am considering buying a CPO Tesla 85D. I iike the longer range of the 85 vs 70 and prefer the AWD due to the weather and local driving conditions. I was hoping some of the experts here could provide some opinions on fair pricing, assuming no material damage beyond normal wear/tear with mileage in the 30-50k range. The information earlier in this string has been very helpful on features to consider.

I traded in my 2015 85D with 61,000 miles on it in September for an inventory 2018 100D to get the AP 2.5 and MCU 2 hardware, as well as the higher range. I loved my 85D though, and think you would be pleased with any of the 3 you are looking at. Pricing in the mid 40’s seems reasonable for those cars.

I haven’t followed the 85Ds that closely but I have been watching the P85Ds for a while now.

Lots of inventory being added and prices (bottom of price range) have consistently been dropping more rapidly over the last couple months.

More inventory on the market - lots of trade ins as folks move to the m3 or upgrade. Also lots of cars coming up on end of warranty so another reason people trade in. With the CPO/ used warranty, Tesla can take them and send them back out. So buying a “CPO/ used” is a great decision. Just plan on being patient and selective. Wait for one in good condition at the right price, there are lots of trashed cars in their inventory you need to comb through.

Range on a P85D will start in the mid to high 60s, drop consistently up to $1000 every day or 2. Get down to mid 50s and jump back up, then drop again. Lots of them in the mid to low 50s where a few months ago when I bought mine, anything below $56 would get snatched up (even some pretty abused vehicles). Now there have been some that dropped below $50k.

Your price range and vehicles is a sweet spot and you should be able to get a nicely loaded 85D with a 4 year warranty (50k).

If you aren’t already tracking the vehicles your considering on Ev-cpo.com , @EV-CPO there are some pretty great tools

Good luck and happy hunting.

I haven’t followed the 85Ds that closely but I have been watching the P85Ds for a while now.

Lots of inventory being added and prices (bottom of price range) have consistently been dropping more rapidly over the last couple months.

More inventory on the market - lots of trade ins as folks move to the m3 or upgrade. Also lots of cars coming up on end of warranty so another reason people trade in. With the CPO/ used warranty, Tesla can take them and send them back out. So buying a “CPO/ used” is a great decision. Just plan on being patient and selective. Wait for one in good condition at the right price, there are lots of trashed cars in their inventory you need to comb through.

Range on a P85D will start in the mid to high 60s, drop consistently up to $1000 every day or 2. Get down to mid 50s and jump back up, then drop again. Lots of them in the mid to low 50s where a few months ago when I bought mine, anything below $56 would get snatched up (even some pretty abused vehicles). Now there have been some that dropped below $50k.

Your price range and vehicles is a sweet spot and you should be able to get a nicely loaded 85D with a 4 year warranty (50k).

If you aren’t already tracking the vehicles your considering on Ev-cpo.com , @EV-CPO there are some pretty great tools

Good luck and happy hunting.

I just saw a 2015 p85D CPO for low 50s with a little over 50k miles. It would only have the 2 year warranty. Is that worth considering since it’s pretty low for a P model even if only has the shorter warranty? Pictures look clean.
New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Also drove a 3 yesterday and liked that so now comparing used S vs New 3. Thoughts on this comparison are also appreciated.

Thanks!

I just saw a 2015 p85D CPO for low 50s with a little over 50k miles. It would only have the 2 year warranty. Is that worth considering since it’s pretty low for a P model even if only has the shorter warranty? Pictures look clean.
New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Also drove a 3 yesterday and liked that so now comparing used S vs New 3. Thoughts on this comparison are also appreciated.

Thanks!

Most will say to look for a 4 year (50k) warranty as it’s longer than the 2 year (up to 100k).

IMO , if you drive 15-20miles per year, than the difference in warranty is not as significant as if you drive 10-12k miles. The extra years are nice to cover you, but to me it wasn’t a deal breaker as I drive 20k so really it’s only 2.5 years as opposed to 4. There is probably less competition shopping for ones w over 50k miles so that will make prices drop further on those ones. There are a ton on the market because most people traded in right after warranty expired.

With that said, $50k for a P85D with a 2 year warranty is a lot of value for the vehicle. It may keep going down, but I believe the bulk of the depreciation happened already, so now is a good a time as any to jump in.

There a ton of 3 vs used S debates, so I won’t go down that rabbit hole, but it really boils down to preference and need. Either way, you’ll be happy if it’s your first Tesla!

Most will say to look for a 4 year (50k) warranty as it’s longer than the 2 year (up to 100k).

IMO , if you drive 15-20miles per year, than the difference in warranty is not as significant as if you drive 10-12k miles. The extra years are nice to cover you, but to me it wasn’t a deal breaker as I drive 20k so really it’s only 2.5 years as opposed to 4. There is probably less competition shopping for ones w over 50k miles so that will make prices drop further on those ones. There are a ton on the market because most people traded in right after warranty expired.

With that said, $50k for a P85D with a 2 year warranty is a lot of value for the vehicle. It may keep going down, but I believe the bulk of the depreciation happened already, so now is a good a time as any to jump in.

There a ton of 3 vs used S debates, so I won’t go down that rabbit hole, but it really boils down to preference and need. Either way, you’ll be happy if it’s your first Tesla!

Thanks for the advice. Right after I posted the car disappeared from the CPO site so someone must've grabbed it... I'll keep on the search!

Dude we get it, you run a Blog and a YouTube channel so you're trying to convince as many people as possible to buy a M3 to then tell them to use your referral. BUT this is getting annoying, you're throwing around inaccurate statements and OP already stated that a must have option is Pano so that completely rules out the M3 regardless of anything else.
Troy has some amazingly biased posts in this thread. I have no problem with him listing the 'advantages' of the 3, but an honest portrayal and comparison would, similarly, have him posting the 'advantages' of the S. But it's not there.