Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to move on....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I have a 2013 P85, early build. I've owned it now for about 2 years. Great car, lots of torque, very good family car, etc. The car or idea of an EV just doesn't fit with our family anymore. We're doing more and more day trips with some being at distances where round trips off of a single charge doesn't work and Superchargers are few and far between.

I just want to get everyone's experience with trading in and/or private selling your Model S. I'm getting trade-in figures from $30k-41.5k. Somewhat disappointing but cars are indeed a depreciating asset.

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn and deonb
Some of us are more able to absorb the continued inconvenience of long-distance driving where SpC-ing & Destination Charging remain unacceptable than others are - long-timers here have a fair sense of how many vehicles we own in addition to our Models S & X, for example:rolleyes:.

With that as preamble, would you be willing to share with us what, if any, other vehicles you possess or might consider obtaining? Could some ICV serve as the stopgap long-distance hauler for you, while you (and many others of us) await the continued build-out of charging stations?

As you have found out from trade-in #s for your Tesla, the price for used cars now is eye-poppingly low (there is a relevant article on that in today's or yesterday's Bloomberg feed - all the relevant parameters are in place for this trend to continue for at least the next several years: Your Car Is Now Worth Less Than You Think ==>ALL might find this article of interest and use<=== .

That being the case, might it be the case for you that a late-model used ICV could appropriately serve as your range-hauler?

PS: Go Nittany Lions!:)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Hey everyone. I have a 2013 P85, early build. I've owned it now for about 2 years. Great car, lots of torque, very good family car, etc. The car or idea of an EV just doesn't fit with our family anymore. We're doing more and more day trips with some being at distances where round trips off of a single charge doesn't work and Superchargers are few and far between.

I just want to get everyone's experience with trading in and/or private selling your Model S. I'm getting trade-in figures from $30k-41.5k. Somewhat disappointing but cars are indeed a depreciating asset.
Sorry to see that you are having problems finding that the "superchargers are few and far between". Although I haven't been near Philly, the 15-20 or so-odd SCs within 100 miles sure seem to be better placed than those, say in North Dakoda.;) Have you looked at Supercharge.info lately? Tesla is planning to double charging stations and that Sheetz (primarily in PA) has agreed to have SCs put at many of their locations. Personally, I've had good luck with regional and interstate travel (12 states and two provinces). Most times I don't even leave the house with more than 75% charge because there are SCs in all directions at a convenient break point (this in rural eastern WA).

Sorry to see that you are having problems finding that the "superchargers are few and far between". Although I haven't been near Philly, the 15-20 or so-odd SCs within 100 miles sure seem to be better placed than those, say in North Dakoda.;) Have you looked at Supercharge.info lately? Tesla is planning to double charging stations and that Sheetz (primarily in PA) has agreed to have SCs put at many of their locations. Personally, I've had good luck with regional and interstate travel (12 states and two provinces). Most times I don't even leave the house with more than 75% charge because there are SCs in all directions at a convenient break point (this in rural eastern WA).

You mind linking the reference for the bit about Sheetz getting SCs? They are all over here in NC as well and while a few have chademo/ccs chargers I haven't seen one with a Tesla SC or even a wall charger. Would be awesome if they started putting them in there.

We're doing more and more day trips with some being at distances where round trips off of a single charge doesn't work and Superchargers are few and far between.

Curious where you're going, and more importantly, how fast you drive, that you find it's not working out anymore. What kind of range are you getting?

I'm right outside Philly, and aside from perhaps upstate PA, and with careful routing even that's doable, there's no day trip that I've not been able to do.

You mind linking the reference for the bit about Sheetz getting SCs? They are all over here in NC as well and while a few have chademo/ccs chargers I haven't seen one with a Tesla SC or even a wall charger. Would be awesome if they started putting them in there.

Here is one article:

Sheetz Gas Stations Might Get Tesla Superchargers — EV Charging Station Locations

There is a new supercharger being installed at the Sheetz in Breezewood, PA right now.

I hope it actually happens elsewhere too.

There are already a few Sheetz in PA that have CHADEMO DC fast chargers that can be used with the proper adapter.

Hey everyone! So I have a 2013 P85, 54k miles, pano roof, 21" black turbines, grey interior, lighting packing, premium sound, air suspension, premium package, dual chargers, warranty until 12/19 or ~82k miles (Tesla CPO), tech package, fog lights, cf spoiler etc. I also just had the annual service/50k service done 3 weeks ago. Would love to get a sense what folks think I can get sell for it private party. KBB has private party essentially within the range of trade-in.

Love the car. With 100% charge, it shows about 255 miles. In real world use, it's probably closer to 200. With a young toddler, it has been a challenge with keeping her occupied during charging stops but lack of superchargers has also been a problem. No Sheetz where I live (central Bucks Co). We own property in New Hampshire and while it's not a day trip, charging stops easily adds 2 hrs onto what should only be a 6 hr drive. As for day trips, I have family in Elizabethtown, PA. I cannot make that drive roundtrip without driving 30 min past my destination to charge at the Harrisburg supercharger. Easy to do if it was just me, but with a small child etc, it's just not ideal.

Interestingly enough, I've been experiencing really poor service at the Devon service center. I had some warranty repairs and the annual service performed recently and had to take it back twice for things not performed correctly or not addressed. I am slightly concerned about their ability to keep up once the 3 hits the mass market but this is all just a slight concern.

Some have asked what my other vehicles are. I have a GMC Sierra Denali 2500 (we own a horse farm), MB C300 4Matic, 39 Dodge Truck, and a Triumph Street Triple R bike. The 39 and the bike are not feasible or practical vehicles to take on day trips. The MB is my wife's car (she works 7 days a week at our farm which is not located at our house) and the truck is a gas guzzler that is our farm truck.

I am looking at my options with MB, BMW, and Porsche. Today I'm going to look at a Macan Turbo. I looked at a S class MB and while it's very nice, I don't think it's really me.

• Informative
Reactions: Btr_ftw