Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to possibly buy a 21/22 Model S. Worried there are so many being sold with low miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You say they are "very real"...This provides no context. Is it common? It doesn't appear so. Does it happen? Yes, there are owners who have experienced this.

$79K is such a steal for this car...lol. Only $10k than a MYP.

Crazy.
Define “common”? Do a lot of people complain about it? Probably not. Is it a widespread issue? Most certainly with the suspension. There is a mega-thread about it somewhere.

I wouldn’t call $79K a steal. It’s probably close to what the car is actually worth paying for. It was priced appropriately when it was released. Now it is absurd.

I also would not compare pricing to a MY as they are also ridiculously overpriced right now.

How do you know nobody is selling at a loss. One member claims he lost $40K on his Plaid. Not everyone got their S for $79K. I paid $117.5 with FSD (including tax) for my Refresh LR. Black interior 19” wheels. I’d lose money if I sold it today.
Did you read the post you quoted? I said some Plaid owners may lose money.

As an LR owner, it sounds like you bought in at the top and you wouldn’t make money if you sold. So let me guess…you aren’t selling?

The people who are selling LR’s are not taking a loss.

Define “common”? Do a lot of people complain about it? Probably not. Is it a widespread issue? Most certainly with the suspension. There is a mega-thread about it somewhere.

I wouldn’t call $79K a steal. It’s probably close to what the car is actually worth paying for. It was priced appropriately when it was released. Now it is absurd.

I also would not compare pricing to a MY as they are also ridiculously overpriced right now.
I don't think 110-130 is overly priced. There's nothing in that price point that provides, for me, what the LR or Plaid S can for that price as far as speed, comfort, tech, and an EV.

I don't think 110-130 is overly priced. There's nothing in that price point that provides, for me, what the LR or Plaid S can for that price as far as speed, comfort, tech, and an EV.
That’s fine if you think that. Compared to other vehicles that $130K can buy, the Model S is a cheap shell with an expensive battery.

Keep in mind, it’s THE SAME vehicle they sold for $79K

That’s fine if you think that. Compared to other vehicles that $130K can buy, the Model S is a cheap shell with an expensive battery.
That's also super fast and has incredible tech. Is it luxurious? No, but it can beat almost any car on the road and yes, the expensive batteries are worth it. The only other option is the Lucid and it's 30K more and lacks Tesla SC network (for now)...also not a fan of the way they look.

I enjoy my MS more than any Mercedes or BMW I've ever had at a comparable price point.

Reactions: Gumball
So i have pretty much narrowed my choices down to a $93,000 MSLR blue/cream with 19s and will put 21 arachnids on it for $3200, and a Plaid with blue/cream FSD paid for and activated w CF interior for $126k. Same miles. Love the plaid. Is it worth $30k (with the FSD included, other doesn’t even have EA)

So i have pretty much narrowed my choices down to a $93,000 MSLR blue/cream with 19s and will put 21 arachnids on it for $3200, and a Plaid with blue/cream FSD paid for and activated w CF interior for $126k. Same miles. Love the plaid. Is it worth $30k (with the FSD included, other doesn’t even have EA)
I wouldn’t pay that much for an LR.

The Plaid w/FSD is probably the better value. But I wouldn’t buy that either.

The MS LR is a better value. Still runs high 10s, longer range, better looking interior (the wood is 10x better than the CF, IMO)...but if you really like speed...nothing compares to the Plaid's speed.

A lot

A lot aren’t dumping to make money. A lot of 2022s I see are selling for order price or under at the dealer meaning the seller lost money on the car with low miles

Yup. I’m hearing the same. A friend dumped his fairly new 2022 S for a loss at $91K so he could buy a BMW EV (I forget which). Used Model Ss aren’t selling for crazy premiums… if you bought at $79K you’d profit a little… but if you bought at recent $100K prices you’d lose significantly.

The car market remains a bit crazy right now which is why you see a numner of "lightly used" 2022s for sale. Many have been flipping for profit while others may have sold/traded for other reasons and have potentially lost money.

However, even during these times ,Tesla has been offering new/untitled cars for below sticker. For example, there is a new/untitled 2022 Plaid in Nevada for $1,740 below current retail.

The car market remains a bit crazy right now which is why you see a numner of "lightly used" 2022s for sale. Many have been flipping for profit while others may have sold/traded for other reasons and have potentially lost money.

However, even during these times ,Tesla has been offering new/untitled cars for below sticker. For example, there is a new/untitled 2022 Plaid in Nevada for $1,740 below current retail.

Still $155,000

Many of these low mileage slightly used cars are being placed on the market because people's circumstances may have changed since they placed their order. They can easily sell it for more than they paid for it, and get the vehicle that now suites their needs better. Great time to be a seller, but not so good a time to need to buy something.

Still $155,000

Yes, which I said was $1,740 below current retail. Certainly not a significant savings but still below sticker. A buyer can also have FSD removed to lower the price by $12k.

There's a new/untitled 2021 Plaid in the Bay Area for $7,470 off current 2022 retail but given the price increases of the past year is probably around its full 2021 sticker.

Most new Tesla existing inventory cars right now are at full sticker. Time will tell where pricing goes from here.