Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to possibly buy a 21/22 Model S. Worried there are so many being sold with low miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a early Jan 2022 MS LR. Been to the service center 3 times for the same exact 3 issues and a few minor ones. Just scheduled my 4th one, you guessed it, same issues. Just had a friend pick up his plaid with the exact clunking noise from the rear seats. Just my personal experiences on my personal car, but man are these cars badly put together.

Issues I’ve had.

1. Sticky Residue on rubber seals. Ruined my tint
2. Huge rear hatch gap on right side (slightly fixed)
3. Rear suspension clunk noise (fixed)
4. Front suspension or subframe clicking noise (4th visit)
5. Rear seat loose clunk noise. (3rd visit)
6. Driver side door squeak and rattle when going over bumps.
7. Yolk buttons not registering presses. Rare but super annoying and dangerous when it happens.
8. ID and Key card not returned from service.
9. Safety restraint fault warning (4th visit) seat belt sensors….

There’s probably 1-2 more but I think this is enough to gloss over some of the issues.

If I were you I opt for a newer model.

Got a early Jan 2022 MS LR. Been to the service center 3 times for the same exact 3 issues and a few minor ones. Just scheduled my 4th one, you guessed it, same issues. Just had a friend pick up his plaid with the exact clunking noise from the rear seats. Just my personal experiences on my personal car, but man are these cars badly put together.

Issues I’ve had.

7. Yolk buttons not registering presses. Rare but super annoying and dangerous when it happens.

There’s probably 1-2 more but I think this is enough to gloss over some of the issues.

man. Didn't hear any rattles or clunking on the test drive. Now I'm on Teslas website looking at their price of used Plaids and trying to convince myself for white/white, because there are a bunch of white for good prices

Well…is paying an additional $10K for the color you want and an additional 10K miles on the odometer worth it to you?

I’m still going with my original answer. “Yes, it’s crazy”

well, this am a bunch of CPO Plaids dropped on the Tesla site. I was able to snag a 2021 blue Plaid with cream interior, 21 inch arachnids, 10k miles, FSD and CPO warranty for $121k. Was the exact one i wanted minus the carbon fiber. This one has wood so plan to wrap it

well, this am a bunch of CPO Plaids dropped on the Tesla site. I was able to snag a 2021 blue Plaid with cream interior, 21 inch arachnids, 10k miles, FSD and CPO warranty for $121k. Was the exact one i wanted minus the carbon fiber. This one has wood so plan to wrap it

Same, I took 2021 Plaid with Black and black, 21". It got only 7k miles and only $113k, crazy how the market is.

Completely anecdotal, but the last time I was at the SC near me, I was really surprised to see so many plaids in the lot (at least 20). I then ran into someone dropping one off, and he told me it had been to the SC 6 times in less than a year. This time was because of a failure of the MCU. He wanted to get rid of his after the MCU was replaced.

This is a long way of me saying that people may be frustrated by the issues and are selling them.

Looking at 2 Plaids with FSD paid for , cream interior, one is white and one Is blue. Both with 21 arachnids for $126,000. MUCH cheaper than new. One has 9k miles one has 19k
we just ordered ours FSD, 21 wheels, cream with black exterior 115k at only 5k miles. Telsa give you and extra year on the existing warranty. Its cheaper then a 22 by a good amount at its base price of 137 but with the extras its a 155k car. Making it have a much better ROI if you plan on flipping it later on. That and no waiting a few months, ordered it Monday car should be ready for pickup in a few days. If theres something wrong with the car mechanically its under warranty. If something cosmetically is bad we can just deny delivery. Granted we would be out the transfer and deposit but thats life I suppose.

Looking to move from my 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo S to a used Plaid or LR. I am getting worried reading about steering column vibration and suspension issues. Then I see there a ton of lightly used Model S’s for sale. Should I be looking away for the time being? I really liked the test drive iof the MSLR and the plaid.
Hi,

I am curious about how do you compare the driving experience (handling, braking, and other aspects) between your 971 Panamera and the refreshed Model S. Recently I have the thought about buying a 2022/0233 Panamera GTS, I test-drove the GTS and I loved it very much. It handles very well for a car in its size. Perhaps the most athletic large size sedan I’ve ever driven. I honestly think it’s better (by a big margin) than my previous BMW F10 M5 and the latest version of their M550ix.

I know the Taycan is very sharp car, almost as good as a sports car. However, if I am going to buy an EV, for now, it will have to be Tesla because the charging network is much superior than anything else combined.

Unfortunately, my local Tesla stores do not have any model S tester and probably won’t have one for a while. I guess what I am trying to ask is that after you drove the model S, would you consider the model S is a sporty sedan like what a Panamera is. Or are they just completely opposite kinds of products?

Thanks in advance for any inputs you might have.

Cheers

Looking to move from my 2018 Porsche Panamera Turbo S to a used Plaid or LR. I am getting worried reading about steering column vibration and suspension issues. Then I see there a ton of lightly used Model S’s for sale. Should I be looking away for the time being? I really liked the test drive iof the MSLR and the plaid.
Want to buy my Plaid S?

I'd stay away for a while longer. The issues are a pain in the ass to get fixed. I'm on my seventh service visit to try and fix issues from delivery.

Issues I’ve had.

Actually, I think the better strategy is to wait for the first owner to get these all fixed in the first 6 months and then buy one :) my oct 21 build needed 3 service appointments to fix all the similar issues, and now it’s perfect. but no I’m not selling!

this journey should be considered a rite of passage and appreciated not dunked on :)

Hi,

I am curious about how do you compare the driving experience (handling, braking, and other aspects) between your 971 Panamera and the refreshed Model S. Recently I have the thought about buying a 2022/0233 Panamera GTS, I test-drove the GTS and I loved it very much. It handles very well for a car in its size. Perhaps the most athletic large size sedan I’ve ever driven. I honestly think it’s better (by a big margin) than my previous BMW F10 M5 and the latest version of their M550ix.

I know the Taycan is very sharp car, almost as good as a sports car. However, if I am going to buy an EV, for now, it will have to be Tesla because the charging network is much superior than anything else combined.

Unfortunately, my local Tesla stores do not have any model S tester and probably won’t have one for a while. I guess what I am trying to ask is that after you drove the model S, would you consider the model S is a sporty sedan like what a Panamera is. Or are they just completely opposite kinds of products?

Thanks in advance for any inputs you might have.

Cheers
If you want an ev with handling better than a 911, the S with aftermarket mountainpass performance suspension upgrades is it!

you may be ruined for any other future cars… permanently!

Tesla’s stock/Oem suspension links and bushings aren’t good enough because they’re for the masses who don’t understand what handling could be and just want to brag about streetlight acceleration :)

If you want an ev with handling better than a 911, the S with aftermarket mountainpass performance suspension upgrades is it!

you may be ruined for any other future cars… permanently!

Tesla’s stock/Oem suspension links and bushings aren’t good enough because they’re for the masses who don’t understand what handling could be and just want to brag about streetlight acceleration :)
Might be worth trying, especially if it solves the suspension creaking issues I'm having now and eliminates the half shaft vibrations! Do you have any vibrations between 40-50 mph?

Reactions: MFrunkerOG