Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to possibly buy a 21/22 Model S. Worried there are so many being sold with low miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you want an ev with handling better than a 911, the S with aftermarket mountainpass performance suspension upgrades is it!

you may be ruined for any other future cars… permanently!

Tesla’s stock/Oem suspension links and bushings aren’t good enough because they’re for the masses who don’t understand what handling could be and just want to brag about streetlight acceleration :)

tell me more about this. Which parts did you get? Who installed? Total cost? What did it change?

Hi,

I am curious about how do you compare the driving experience (handling, braking, and other aspects) between your 971 Panamera and the refreshed Model S. Recently I have the thought about buying a 2022/0233 Panamera GTS, I test-drove the GTS and I loved it very much. It handles very well for a car in its size. Perhaps the most athletic large size sedan I’ve ever driven. I honestly think it’s better (by a big margin) than my previous BMW F10 M5 and the latest version of their M550ix.

I know the Taycan is very sharp car, almost as good as a sports car. However, if I am going to buy an EV, for now, it will have to be Tesla because the charging network is much superior than anything else combined.

Unfortunately, my local Tesla stores do not have any model S tester and probably won’t have one for a while. I guess what I am trying to ask is that after you drove the model S, would you consider the model S is a sporty sedan like what a Panamera is. Or are they just completely opposite kinds of products?

Thanks in advance for any inputs you might have.

Cheers

go test drive a used one. I test drove 2 model S long range and drove the Plaid 3x, all pre-owned. Like you said, there are no new ones to drive.

The MSPlaid is mostly equivalent in handling to the Panamera, but not quite as sharp. The center of gravity is lower on the Plaid which helps with body roll, as the skid pad G's are less than a Corvette C8. Handling is great for a large sedan, It's only 2 inches shorter than my Panamera. The acceleration is obviously better and smoother, and the ride is still great. The Panamera beats the ride quality slightly, as it has RWS and PDCC which helps the Panamera feel stiff, but still comfortable. The Plaid rides comfortable, but not sporty stiff like the Panamera. Both are great DDs. My Turbo S e-hybrid does feel much slower and laggy now that I've gotten used to the Tesla. I just cant go back to a gas engine now.

Reactions: pilotSteve
tell me more about this. Which parts did you get? Who installed? Total cost? What did it change?

Fronts
1. Front upper control arm - the oem front camber is sorely missing in the S. I’ve set the new one at -2 degrees and it just hugs every curve now
2. Lower bushings - the lower oem links in the fronts have some really cheap hard rubber bushings. They twist a lot under load and that just ruins the driving experience. I replaced the bushings with MPPs sealed bearings. No squishy feel now

Rear
1. Lower fore and lower aft arm - the oem ones are non adjustable and they also have the same rubber bushings. With these two replaced, camber is easily adjustable across a wide range in the back. I set mine at -1.6 degrees. Works for me
2. Rear toe arm - the oem is adjustable but it’s a dumb 20mm nut size on the wrench. Also rubber bushings. I replaced this one too.

I’ve also kept the toe IN for both the front and rear at just under 0.04. My caster is a bit more than the spec, but that just keeps the car dead straight without any wiggling/drifting even at 120mph

I live in the ATL and took the car to J&M performance auto in chamblee (Atlanta suburb). Javier Mendoza the owner is amazing with racing suspensions and he knew exactly what to do to get these in. Then I got it aligned at Gran Turismo East (up the street from Javier). GTE is probably the best alignment place in Atlanta. They’re racing nuts!

I think the parts cost me about $4k and the install was another $1.5k.

My plaid is a freaking dream now! Tighter than a virgin :)

Last edited:
go test drive a used one. I test drove 2 model S long range and drove the Plaid 3x, all pre-owned. Like you said, there are no new ones to drive.

The MSPlaid is mostly equivalent in handling to the Panamera, but not quite as sharp. The center of gravity is lower on the Plaid which helps with body roll, as the skid pad G's are less than a Corvette C8. Handling is great for a large sedan, It's only 2 inches shorter than my Panamera. The acceleration is obviously better and smoother, and the ride is still great. The Panamera beats the ride quality slightly, as it has RWS and PDCC which helps the Panamera feel stiff, but still comfortable. The Plaid rides comfortable, but not sporty stiff like the Panamera. Both are great DDs. My Turbo S e-hybrid does feel much slower and laggy now that I've gotten used to the Tesla. I just cant go back to a gas engine now.
Thank you. I’ll try to find one for test drive. The supply is pretty low here in my area (only a few used around) and dealers mostly don’t allow test drive because of the reason not wanting to add mileage to their cars which I understand just a bunch of BS. I’ve also got in contact with a local Tesla store manager and he said there might be a few testers coming shortly and if so, he’ll arrange a test drive for me.

Reactions: Propofoln
Thank you. I’ll try to find one for test drive. The supply is pretty low here in my area (only a few used around) and dealers mostly don’t allow test drive because of the reason not wanting to add mileage to their cars which I understand just a bunch of BS. I’ve also got in contact with a local Tesla store manager and he said there might be a few testers coming shortly and if so, he’ll arrange a test drive for me.

I much prefer my Plaid to my Panamera as a daily. Just so easy to commute. No gas. Cabin overheat feature is best feature besides instant torque. Stereo still really good. Only thing better in my Panamera is the Burmester system. Almost no maintenance in the Tesla compared to $2000 every 10k miles in the Porsche

I much prefer my Plaid to my Panamera as a daily. Just so easy to commute. No gas. Cabin overheat feature is best feature besides instant torque. Stereo still really good. Only thing better in my Panamera is the Burmester system. Almost no maintenance in the Tesla compared to $2000 every 10k miles in the Porsche

Yeah, I like the audio in my Model 3 more than the Plaid. I think the 3 has better speaker placement locations than the S, and it uses the tweeters that are closer to the driver more.

Fronts
1. Front upper control arm - the oem front camber is sorely missing in the S. I’ve set the new one at -2 degrees and it just hugs every curve now
2. Lower bushings - the lower oem links in the fronts have some really cheap hard rubber bushings. They twist a lot under load and that just ruins the driving experience. I replaced the bushings with MPPs sealed bearings. No squishy feel now

Rear
1. Lower fore and lower aft arm - the oem ones are non adjustable and they also have the same rubber bushings. With these two replaced, camber is easily adjustable across a wide range in the back. I set mine at -1.6 degrees. Works for me
2. Rear toe arm - the oem is adjustable but it’s a dumb 20mm nut size on the wrench. Also rubber bushings. I replaced this one too.

I’ve also kept the toe IN for both the front and rear at just under 0.04. My caster is a bit more than the spec, but that just keeps the car dead straight without any wiggling/drifting even at 120mph

I live in the ATL and took the car to J&M performance auto in chamblee (Atlanta suburb). Javier Mendoza the owner is amazing with racing suspensions and he knew exactly what to do to get these in. Then I got it aligned at Gran Turismo East (up the street from Javier). GTE is probably the best alignment place in Atlanta. They’re racing nuts!

I think the parts cost me about $4k and the install was another $1.5k.

My plaid is a freaking dream now! Tighter than a virgin :)
I spent the last 4 days driving around in Asheville, NC. Tons and tons of winding roads.

What do I do? I take out one of the 1mm shims on the front upper control arms! And Boom! Instant mountain road curve hugger :)