Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

Looking to Purchase a 2012-2014 Model S w/ under 80k miles & warranty remaining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I drove my first Tesla last week and am absolutely hooked! I've always wanted a Tesla, and since i got rear ended a few weeks ago and had my Lexus totaled, I figured it was a perfect time to join the Tesla family and go electric! I am in the market for a 2012-2014 Model S & would prefer a 85 with no more than 80k miles. I for sure want one with a factory warranty remaining for at least another year & unlimited supercharging that can be transferred. The price range I am sticking to is $30-35k, and it must be a great car/deal if I pay the $35k range. I've noticed that a lot of people selling their used Teslas privately are asking a lot more than what Tesla or any dealership would give them, so really in no rush to make a purchase if you are going to offer over clean retail price. Feel free to contact me if you have something! The whole point of selling privately here is to make more than what a dealership will give you, and buyers like me look here to get a better deal than a dealership!

Thanks,
Robert

Hello,

I drove my first Tesla last week and am absolutely hooked! I've always wanted a Tesla, and since i got rear ended a few weeks ago and had my Lexus totaled, I figured it was a perfect time to join the Tesla family and go electric! I am in the market for a 2012-2014 Model S & would prefer a 85 with no more than 80k miles. I for sure want one with a factory warranty remaining for at least another year & unlimited supercharging that can be transferred. The price range I am sticking to is $30-35k, and it must be a great car/deal if I pay the $35k range. I've noticed that a lot of people selling their used Teslas privately are asking a lot more than what Tesla or any dealership would give them, so really in no rush to make a purchase if you are going to offer over clean retail price. Feel free to contact me if you have something! The whole point of selling privately here is to make more than what a dealership will give you, and buyers like me look here to get a better deal than a dealership!

Thanks,
Robert
There are a lot of older Model S's out there for $28,000, up. I believe the time limit on the factory warranty will be exceeded and expired, but the powertrain/battery warranty will likely still be in force. But really, not a whole lot of stuff is likely to go wrong. Check Craigslist, Auto Trader, Carfax, Car Gurus, etc. Just find a car that's been well cared for. And the more recent it is, the better. It could be worth a flight to collect the car. The right one will be a treasure. Good luck and welcome aboard.

There are a lot of older Model S's out there for $28,000, up. I believe the time limit on the factory warranty will be exceeded and expired, but the powertrain/battery warranty will likely still be in force. But really, not a whole lot of stuff is likely to go wrong. Check Craigslist, Auto Trader, Carfax, Car Gurus, etc. Just find a car that's been well cared for. And the more recent it is, the better. It could be worth a flight to collect the car. The right one will be a treasure. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Thanks for your words of wisdom and completely agree it's all about spending time on doing research and constantly searching all of the used car apps. One thing I wanted to ask & sure this has been discussed here before is if I should solely stick to private sales because of having a direct channel with the seller on history of repairs to the car and transferring the warranty/powercharging seems like it would be MUCH easier. I was eyeing a 2012 P85 at my local Land Rover dealership that they got on trade last week, and they ended up selling it wholesale because Tesla won't work with them on getting it serviced and repaired. It just seems risky buying from a non-Tesla dealership or private party in my opinion. I did find a used 2013 P85+ within a few hours away for under $35k, but it almost has 90k miles so a little concerned on the mileage. The seller has done all of the typical repairs/replacements and has all of the paperwork to show, and also the full warranty until 12/2020 and the batter/drive unit warranty for another 4 years.

2013 P85+ within a few hours away for under $35k, but it almost has 90k miles
And why are you not en route to snatch it up?

Seriously, if you find the right private party that has all the records, and is transparent about the car, then I think you’re pretty safe. I sold my 2013 S85 with 113,000 or so miles on it to an associate last year for $28K. He is still grinning and thinks it’s the best car he has ever had, and I know it, because it’s the best car I ever sold.

I like my P3D, but I loved my S85.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Looks like someone already put a deposit of the P85+ so I missed out!
Keep looking, there will be another. Tessie was my second choice. There's a dealership in SoCali that sells only electric and hybrid vehicles. They had a white P90DL at a bargain price. It was a bargain because they did not realize it was one of the Model S's with Ludicrous mode. Unfortunately someone else grabbed it before I could. So I went elsewhere and found the blue one which I immediately snagged! Tessie was no bargain but oh well. Hang in there.