TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Looking to sell my Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by SeattleSG, Jul 18, 2018.

1. SeattleSG

SeattleSG Member

I had chosen the Model 3 Long Range option with 19" trim and the multi-coat red color. I paid $3000 extra for this option. Tesla just contacted me today saying that they'd like to deliver the vehicle by end of July.

I am trying to sell the vehicle since we realized that it'll be a small car for our family (should've realized that before I paid the $2500 to design the car:( ). What's the best option to sell my Model 3 at the price that I bought?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. TANGO SUKKA

TANGO SUKKA Member

have you ever sat in one? there is so much room in both front and back seats.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  3. SeattleSG

SeattleSG Member

Thanks for the suggestion. The decision has been taken to let it go.:( Just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

4. TANGO SUKKA

TANGO SUKKA Member

I'll buy it for 35k ;)

• Funny x 1
  5. SeattleSG

SeattleSG Member

Ha ha..thanks for the offer.:)

6. joshk6656

joshk6656 Member

It will be rough to get what you paid, because the tax credit it coming your way, not the new persons way, and I am pretty sure it is too late to change name on the tesla account.

• Like x 1
  7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I have no idea if this is the right/best path, but were I in your shoes I would formally and politely explain the situation to Tesla in e-mail and ask them if there are any options they recommend other than (a) losing your deposit or (b) taking delivery. When discreetly and politely handled, sometimes Tesla has been generous in accommodating "situations" that arise -- sometimes with an NDA attached.

The formal policy is that your only options are (a) and (b) so discretion is important as precedent and "public noise" forces their hand.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  8. osu_cowboy_007

I think they are a bit flexible now.

9. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Maybe someone in your local Tesla Club...minus the $7500 if too late to change registration name?

10. SeattleSG

SeattleSG Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm checking with Tesla to see if they'll refund me the deposit. If they do, I won't have to go through the hoops of trying to find a buyer.

11. spesler

spesler Member

@SeattleSG Considering tax and registration, you could stand to lose more than the deposit by going through with the purchase and attempting to flip it right away.

My suspicion is that the best options are:

1. Plead with Tesla to have mercy.

2. Cut your losses and cancel the order outright.

3. Proceed with the purchase and use the car for a year. Assuming the tax credit is not extended (I believe the Dems are currently sponsoring a bill) used cars would be compared to new car pricing without the $7500 rebate. This is a big gamble, but could give you use of a car for a year at little cost.

• Like x 1
  12. Stacks

Stacks Member

Not to sound like an ass, but I don’t really buy your reasoning. By your username, I assume you live in Seattle and we’ve had them here in the Bellevue show room for about 5 months. Why are you just realizing this now?

• Like x 2
  13. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

This was my first thought as well ... don't know how somebody just woke up and realized the car is too small? o_O

• Like x 2
  14. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Just cancel the order and forfeit the deposit. It'll be impossible to sell it for less than a $2500 loss.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  15. Asuh

Asuh New Member

Am I the only one thinking “whipped!!!” Already experiencing buyer’s remorse?! Cmon mang.

16. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#16 Krash, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    If you keep and can use the full tax credit, you don't lose to sell the car at a $7500 loss as long as you don't pay sales tax. In most states the used buyer also pays sales tax. So that money is GONE.

Better to find a buyer before you take delivery and avoid the tax issue. If you go the Craigslist route...

seattle for sale "tesla "model 3"" - craigslist

...try "Free Plus Tax Credit" as a title since there are so many.

17. NathanielHrnblwr

move the deposit to a Model S. It's bigger.

• Like x 1
  18. SeattleSG

SeattleSG Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. Greatly appreciate the suggestions. Tesla agreed to just cancel the reservation and refund me the deposit. I won't have to go through the hoops of looking for a buyer now.

• Like x 3
  19. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

I was thinking "didn't get it fully cleared up front and dislikes spending years of his life talking to a divorce attorney because he was a demanding butthead" but, yeah, about the same thing. ;)

20. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

That DE-escalated quickly. haha

• Funny x 1