Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like another year before we get the first Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By next year at this time the reveal for the Model Y pickup truck will have been done!
Everyone will be hee hawing over that one and the Model 3 will be passé. Perhaps people will be able to transfer their deposits to the Model Y by then too!

• Funny
Reactions: doubeld
Extremely disappointed with this given the prior mention of "North American deliveries", especially with the vast majority of regulations the same as the US and the red belt buckles already there. I sincerely hope that the current timeline is a placeholder for all "international" with some updates coming for Canadians in the next few weeks/months. Even through all the anti-selling my spirits have never waivered, but now I'm starting to feel pretty silly forcing a day off work and lining up in the rain overnight outside the Lawrence store.

Anyone able to tweet Elon on this? Beyond just throwing a bone to their northern neighbours, Canada could also act as a buffer to optimize when they hit 200k in the US.

This really isn't that surprising and we had discussion on this forum in the past that Canadian deliveries will be well behind US deliveries. This was the case with the Model X although the delay may be even longer with the Model 3.

Reactions: Jaff
This really isn't that surprising and we had discussion on this forum in the past that Canadian deliveries will be well behind US deliveries. This was the case with the Model X although the delay may be even longer with the Model 3.

That's sort of my point. If I recall correctly the MX, despite its production challenges, had about 4-6 months from initial US deliveries to initial Canada deliveries. I expected it to probably take about the same 4-6 months for Model 3, not 12+ months (between now and "late 2018").

"Something cool" for sight unseen folks would be best efforts attempt of a few weeks advantage in configuration/delivery over casual reservations? I would imagine they could work in daytime running lights and the few other changes if they can introduce AWD by spring.

As an aside there's the non-zero chance of changes to the 14k EV rebate and NAFTA next year as well.

I believe the first Canadian deliveries of the Model X were in June of last year. The first US "deliveries" were Sep 30, 2015 but those were largely ceremonial and I don't think they really got going until about December of 2015 - and Canadian deliveries started about six months later. So the gap between US deliveries and Canadian deliveries could be from 9-15 months, depending on how you define "late 2018" -whether that means July or December, plus when they actually start deliveries in the US in scale - but presumably that should be happening within a couple of months.

Extremely disappointed with this given the prior mention of "North American deliveries", especially with the vast majority of regulations the same as the US and the red belt buckles already there. I sincerely hope that the current timeline is a placeholder for all "international" with some updates coming for Canadians in the next few weeks/months. Even through all the anti-selling my spirits have never waivered, but now I'm starting to feel pretty silly forcing a day off work and lining up in the rain overnight outside the Lawrence store.

Anyone able to tweet Elon on this? Beyond just throwing a bone to their northern neighbours, Canada could also act as a buffer to optimize when they hit 200k in the US.

Tesla has been widely accused of not meeting date expectations in the past, so perhaps they are taking more of an "Under-promise and over-deliver" strategy this time around. This would be very wise. You're right, the buffer option could happen.

To be honest, in the last several months, their timelines have been far more accurate. Even Elon tweeting to someone that he will get a picture of the first production car off the line "Soon". I laughed at the 'soon' inside joke, but no doubt; within a day or so, several SN1 pics for the masses.

In any case, they will probably be sending a bunch of Model 3s up to Canada showrooms before the end of the year so reservation holders and customers can see the size in person and make decisions.

Reactions: Jaff
I'm still predicting ~ 6 months behind "real" US deliveries (not the first 30).

Building and shipping the Canadian version is not that much extra work for them. Overseas deliveries have a lot of shipping time built in to them.

Building and shipping the Canadian version is not that much extra work for them. Overseas deliveries have a lot of shipping time built in to them.

I'm sure they have the logistics of Canadian importing / shipping locked down to a fine art. I suspect the Model 3 will not see the same kind of Canadian delays like our Model S saw in 2012 (which reportedly boiled down to the bilingual airbag warning?)

I suspect the 'late 2018' is a catch all for "we're not sure how this is going to pan out production-wise". They haven't quite sorted out the geographic priority phase out yet. What I'm still wondering is: when they'll decide that Canadian orders will ahead in the production queue from US orders. ie. Day 1 Canadian orders ahead of June US orders?

I suspect this late 2018 will change early in the new year. Hopefully change for the better.

Maybe it is a blessing as the dollar improves. Nothing will beat the fact that when the Model S's first shipped to Canada, the dollar was PAR! The timing was perfect! At least these are NAFTA eligible as well, where the Model S wasn't.

I'm sure they have the logistics of Canadian importing / shipping locked down to a fine art. I suspect the Model 3 will not see the same kind of Canadian delays like our Model S saw in 2012 (which reportedly boiled down to the bilingual airbag warning?)

I don't know if the bilingual placards were the only issue, but they definitely were at least a minor factor in the delays. My Tesla sales rep contacted me and asked me to send pictures of the placards in my Roadster.

It makes sense to use wording that had already been approved by the government. Just a little funny (but not really surprising given how small and fast moving Tesla was back then) that they shipped all the Roadsters and then didn't have a record what was on the placards.

Keep in mind that all cars sold in Canada, US, and Mexico are bilingual, English and French.
Just look at the sun visor, no matter where you are, it is in English and French, even in California and Mexico!
On ICE cars, the radiator information sticker is bilingual too!

I don't believe this is correct kzod...as MP3Mike pointed out, the demobilizer alarms are different in Canada...I haven't found anything to suggest that the U.S. models were having their demobilizing alarms improved to the Canadian standard...can you cite a source for your position?
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...ive-review/#tesla-model-3-rear-interior-seats

I haven't heard anything about the demobilizer, but you can plainly see the seat belt release buttons in any interior pictures.

How do you Canadians view the weakening US dollar vs what your car will ultimately cost. With luck, could that be a silver lining in waiting?

I really hope they revise pricing to the real value of $CAD (and the US dollar stays or lowers in value before then), because the current Model S $USD/$CAD conversion rate of 1.42 is a real killer.
Based on that the currently used conversion rate on Tesla's S pricing, the projected $CAD pricing is not pretty.

$USD $CAD
Base car $35000 $49700
Long Range Battery $ 9000 $12780
Premium $ 5000 $ 7100
Enhanced Autopilot $ 5000 $ 7100
Full Self Driving $ 3000 $ 4300
Non-black Paint $ 1000 $ 1420
19" Sport Wheels $ 1500 $ 2130

(below guesses based on Model S) $USD $CAD
All Wheel Drive $ 5000 $ 7100
Enhanced Autopilot (after purchase) $ 6000 $ 8500
Full Self Driving (after purchase) $ 4000 $ 5700

Regarding estimated delivery dates, same old same old.
I reserved online when the online ordering opened up before the reveal, and I had Late 2018 for all 3 categories.
On the weekend I saw
Teslaschedule.png

This page appears to be down but the hidden delivery page still shows Late 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I really hope they revise pricing to the real value of $CAD (and the US dollar stays or lowers in value before then), because the current Model S $USD/$CAD conversion rate of 1.42 is a real killer.
Based on that the currently used conversion rate on Tesla's S pricing, the projected $CAD pricing is not pretty.

$USD $CAD
Base car $35000 $49700
Long Range Battery $ 9000 $12780
Premium $ 5000 $ 7100
Enhanced Autopilot $ 5000 $ 7100
Full Self Driving $ 3000 $ 4300
Non-black Paint $ 1000 $ 1420
19" Sport Wheels $ 1500 $ 2130

(below guesses based on Model S) $USD $CAD
All Wheel Drive $ 5000 $ 7100
Enhanced Autopilot (after purchase) $ 6000 $ 8500
Full Self Driving (after purchase) $ 4000 $ 5700

Regarding estimated delivery dates, same old same old.
I reserved online when the online ordering opened up before the reveal, and I had Late 2018 for all 3 categories.
On the weekend I sawView attachment 239345

This page appears to be down but the hidden delivery page still shows Late 2018.
The fact that some in the US have "Oct-Dec 2018" timelines and we have "late 2018" doesn't give me confidence.

Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

I haven't heard anything about the demobilizer, but you can plainly see the seat belt release buttons in any interior pictures.

The demobilizer alarm differences between Canada & U.S. versions is an issue...it was on the Roadster, and I'm sure it is as well on the Models S & X and will be on the M3.

The Canadian version of the demobilizer must re-activate the immobilizer alarm if the vehicle is not started within the allowed time frame (from initial deactivation)...I can't remember the timeframe...it was something like 15 or 30 seconds.

• Disagree
Reactions: SoCalGuy