Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like another year before we get the first Model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope they revise pricing to the real value of $CAD (and the US dollar stays or lowers in value before then), because the current Model S $USD/$CAD conversion rate of 1.42 is a real killer.
Based on that the currently used conversion rate on Tesla's S pricing, the projected $CAD pricing is not pretty.

$USD $CAD
Base car $35000 $49700
Long Range Battery $ 9000 $12780
Premium $ 5000 $ 7100
Enhanced Autopilot $ 5000 $ 7100
Full Self Driving $ 3000 $ 4300
Non-black Paint $ 1000 $ 1420
19" Sport Wheels $ 1500 $ 2130

(below guesses based on Model S) $USD $CAD
All Wheel Drive $ 5000 $ 7100
Enhanced Autopilot (after purchase) $ 6000 $ 8500
Full Self Driving (after purchase) $ 4000 $ 5700

Regarding estimated delivery dates, same old same old.
I reserved online when the online ordering opened up before the reveal, and I had Late 2018 for all 3 categories.
On the weekend I sawView attachment 239345

This page appears to be down but the hidden delivery page still shows Late 2018.
First of all, Tesla's figure isn't a straight conversion rate. They have to add a surcharge since they don't have enough North American parts in their cars to be imported tarriff free. This is mainly due to the batteries. That's not a problem with the Model 3 since the batteries will be in Nevada.

Secondly, Tesla adjusts their prices quarterly, so the conversion rate they're currently using will be adjusted in due time.

Reactions: Jaff
So here's a question: would it be foolish to consider buying a used 2014 Leaf now and then try to sell it by the time us Canucks can place our Model 3 orders?

Not sure I'm going to cope well with another year of driving an ICE minivan around. :(

So here's a question: would it be foolish to consider buying a used 2014 Leaf now and then try to sell it by the time us Canucks can place our Model 3 orders?

Not sure I'm going to cope well with another year of driving an ICE minivan around. :(
Not foolish at all. We bought a 2011v and it's working great here in Calgary. The minivan hardly gets used at all anymore. You will need the 240 volt plugin for the 3 anyway. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Kira
I'm pretty sure the late 2018 delivery estimate is just a placeholder until they have a handle on production. I conducted a survey for Canadians and this estimate is universal for everyone regardless if you're a current owner or reserved sight unseen on March 31

I did a video segment on Model 3 specs and Canadian pricing given the new Model S price adjustment. Might want to have a look.

I'm seriously looking into getting a Model 3. But I gotta say, the "on the road" total (at current exchange rates) is not looking very appealing. Granted it's considerably cheaper than the Model S. But it's not exactly going to be easy.
Then there's the wonder if our province incentive will hold out till people start getting deliveries. Even then, at the end of the day, it's not exactly going to be cheap.
The plus side will be I'll never have to worry about filling up again. Nor taking the car in for regular maintenance.

I hope I'll be able to make the transition. I've been hooked on the Model S for awhile. But I have no need for a vehicle of that size. The Model 3 will be perfect for my daily life.

Reactions: Falkirk
In my very optimistic view, I would say it will be even longer for the model 3 to arrive and even then, will it be rear wheel drive or all wheel drive?
Personally, I think anyone who really wants a well decked out Model 3 would be better off getting a CPO Model S, say a late 2014 or a 2015. You can get the car now.

• Disagree
Reactions: doubeld