Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks Like GM isn't playing nice w/ President concerning (EV) jobs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember reading an article that was written shortly after there were many suicides at Foxcon where Apple produces their phones. An expert was quoted that producing the iPhone in the US would increase the production cost by 25%. I would think with cars it would be even less because there are many car manufacturing plants in the US producing more or less cost effective.

They are for sale in China. You wouldn't expect them to build them here, ship them all the way to China and pay a huge import tax, would you?
The 2n'd sentence.

"The company also confirmed that they plan to start manufacturing all-electric vehicles in China within two years."

That seems like the US will be importing EVs from China. Right? ALL EV's will be made in China.

Also:

Trump’s EPA confirms review of fuel rules by April 2018, open to let automakers make more polluting cars

The 2n'd sentence.

"The company also confirmed that they plan to start manufacturing all-electric vehicles in China within two years."

That seems like the US will be importing EVs from China. Right? ALL EV's will be made in China.
I don't think it necessarily implies that. GM already makes huge numbers of cars in China and imports almost none of them into the U.S. I'm not sure why that would suddenly change just because these are EVs.

It says they will be making "all-electric vehicles in China" not that they will be making "all electric vehicles in China."

Reactions: bxr140 and JHWJR
I'd fully expect that Tesla would open a plant there once the market size would support it.

You are nearly correct. Tesla will build a plant there when they have a few things off their plate here and when they get Chinese approval. They've clearly indicated their intent to build in China due to large obstacles to importing cars generally, which have been somewhat relaxed for electric cars.

Reactions: bonnie
You mean.....like Tesla does?
Tesla has only one factory in the world, plus an assembly plant in Holland where battery packs and drive units are mated to the otherwise fully assembled cars. GM already has factories in China.

There are reports that Tesla has agreed to build a $9billion assembly plant in China to support sales of less expensive Model 3 without the 25% import tax.

Reportedly, China is second only to US for Model 3 reservations.

Reactions: scottf200
China puts a massive import duty on all cars, including EVs. It's almost impossible for a foreign automaker to compete there unless they build there. Unless we're prepared to create a matching duty or induce a trade war to pressure China into dropping the duty, building cars in China is going to happen more - and if a manufacturer only needs one plant, it'll likely be more profitable for them to build there and import to the rest of us as long as both sets of duties stay as they are.

What Trump complained about is the practice of using third world labor to build cars outside the US, which are then sold in the US. GM sells cars in China, so they build cars there too. Just like Tesla has publicly stated they will do. Not sure how that in your mind is a dis on trump.

It's pretty typical for large manufacturers to build plants in different parts of the world - they skip the whole import red tape and, because they're providing local jobs, they have an easier time working with the local government. Plus, it's cheaper not to ship things all over the world (and less of a carbon impact, too).

Um the ships go,back to China pretty empty anyhoo

How's it goin Bonnie:)

Fire Away!

Reactions: bonnie