Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like I found one of the few P100D's without Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to purchase this 2017 P100D from Vroom. The only thing that stopped me from buying it is that they did not show any proof that the car had Ludicrous mode. (That's main reason why I have been searching for a P100D!) Anyway, the sales guy called me back a couple of days later to say that the car did not have it and that I would need to buy the unlock from Tesla. This is confusing as I have read online that 2017-2018 P100D's had Ludicrous mode included in the pricing and that the P85D & P90D's had Ludicrous mode as an option.
Whatever, the search continues...

Based on the in dash logo, it does have ludicrous

1620933665187.png

Based on the in dash logo, it does have ludicrous

View attachment 661991
That's what I was hoping. I just wanted them to snap a picture of the screen that showed ludicrous mode. I have not idea if they had someone go out to car and check. I doubt it. The sales guy is located in a different state from the car. Maybe I dodged a bullet by not buying through Vroom. Some of their reviews were making me nervous.

That's what I was hoping. I just wanted them to snap a picture of the screen that showed ludicrous mode. I have not idea if they had someone go out to car and check. I doubt it. The sales guy is located in a different state from the car. Maybe I dodged a bullet by not buying through Vroom. Some of their reviews were making me nervous.
If Vroom purchased the car from Tesla at auction, then Tesla can strip Ludicrous from the car. Others have posted about this issue. Unfortunately Tesla does not reconfigure these cars when they auction them, so they will display the old config. The car may have Ludicrous in the pictures and even for a bit while you own it, but one day they will do an audit and remove it after a software update.

If they bought from an individual, then it seems likely that it has Ludicrous.

Think you missed out on this one... During those years very hard to find one that is "missing" ludicrous... Likely the salesperson was not aware of where to look for the ludicrous and ludicrous + settings. Worst case roll by a Tesla service center with the VIN and have them print the window sticker or run the specs. Even if it only had insane mode ( this car shows ludicrous) its very fast car...

Reactions: gaswalla
If Vroom purchased the car from Tesla at auction, then Tesla can strip Ludicrous from the car. Others have posted about this issue. Unfortunately Tesla does not reconfigure these cars when they auction them, so they will display the old config. The car may have Ludicrous in the pictures and even for a bit while you own it, but one day they will do an audit and remove it after a software update.

If they bought from an individual, then it seems likely that it has Ludicrous.
Has Tesla ever stripped Ludicrous mode from auction cars? They do it all the time for EAP/FSD but I haven't seen any reports of Ludicrous mode being removed. That is a much smaller set of cars though so it may have just not happened/been noticed yet.

Has Tesla ever stripped Ludicrous mode from auction cars? They do it all the time for EAP/FSD but I haven't seen any reports of Ludicrous mode being removed. That is a much smaller set of cars though so it may have just not happened/been noticed yet.
Yep. Jaloponik reported about an instance. There have been several on reddit, tesla.com and here.

If buying a used car from a third party, always check to see if they purchased it from Tesla at auction. If so, then expect EAP or FSD to be downgraded to AP and Ludicrous to be removed.

Yep. Jaloponik reported about an instance. There have been several on reddit, tesla.com and here.

If buying a used car from a third party, always check to see if they purchased it from Tesla at auction. If so, then expect EAP or FSD to be downgraded to AP and Ludicrous to be removed.
That situation is different. That buyer purchased it from Tesla without Ludicrous mode and they forgot to disable it until 18 months later.

Q1 2019 is when they had some issues and offered P100D cars for $20,000 off without Ludicrous.
It seems like their sales advisor may have removed Ludicrous mode to get the discount without telling the buyer that that is what happened. That's not great, and that owner could probably win in court if that is what happened.

I have yet to see evidence that Ludicrous was removed from an auction car. Not saying it's not possible, but there hasn't been any evidence that they're doing that.

That situation is different. That buyer purchased it from Tesla without Ludicrous mode and they forgot to disable it until 18 months later.

Q1 2019 is when they had some issues and offered P100D cars for $20,000 off without Ludicrous.
It seems like their sales advisor may have removed Ludicrous mode to get the discount without telling the buyer that that is what happened. That's not great, and that owner could probably win in court if that is what happened.

I have yet to see evidence that Ludicrous was removed from an auction car. Not saying it's not possible, but there hasn't been any evidence that they're doing that.
You're right the Reddit article was a demo vehicle. However, the Jalopnik article describes a third party used car purchase where Ludicrous was removed. Here is the quote -

I sell dozens of Teslas a year, and sold my father in law a Model X P90D with ludicrous speed package. 60 days after the purchase of the car, Tesla removed his ludicrous speed package. Upon complaints to them they said he never paid for it. We have video evidence and multiple pictures of the vehicle with it. They even removed the line under the P90D. I am still shocked at these acts.

Either way the concept is the same and I wouldn't trust Ludicrous to stay with a vehicle from a third party dealer who purchased at auction.