Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like not much have changed in the Delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been 3 years since my last Model S delivery and it's been 3 wonderful years of driving this car. I was hoping that after all this time Tesla would've at least improved a bit on transparency and logistics. It hasn't. Perhaps I am a little impatient but chalk it up to excitement, which is starting to fade like being reminded of a bad relationship. If you look up one of my older posts, when took delivery of my current S, it was almost comical how it all went. This is starting to feel like that all over again.

Joking aside, after a few months of pricing snafu, me writing a few venting posts, and finally making that big decision, I went through the process of trading my perfectly fine MY17 100D for an inventory MY20 Performance. Ordered, updated insurance, payment etc. right about Friday last week. The car is in my area so I expected somewhat of a quick delivery. Website showed estimate for today actually. Couple days go by, no updates no emails no one calling to confirm. I got curious and called in just to get at least a verbal affirmation. Was told it should arrive Thursday and on schedule. Great!

Then, me being me, I checked again mid-week and saw website had updated to Dec delivery :eek:, for inventory? I thought, must be building in a buffer, but let's call and see what happened. I am then told the car is in the body shop... I'm sorry what?? After some jokes and checking around, I am told it's nothing major, they just found some scratches and imperfections and it's going to get fixed. I'm thinking, ok, on a car with 150ish miles, a little rare but great at least they are fixing it ahead of delivery. Was also told that it should still be fine and maybe they can still meet the weekend delivery deadline.

I'm skeptical. Had to call insurance and push out the effective date. I'm still staring at a estimate that is a 2 month buffer. My question to any of you recent delivered car folks, what was the average wait for "in area" inventory cars?

Sounds about right. Is what it is, have to deal with it while the company is still growing.

I was interested after you mentioned a pricing snafu, I ran into this as well. Would you mind sharing what happened and how you resolved it? Did you have to wait til the pressure was on them during delivery day for them to fix it? I am dealing with this now where FSD is showing incorrectly on my order summary.

Sounds about right. Is what it is, have to deal with it while the company is still growing.

I was interested after you mentioned a pricing snafu, I ran into this as well. Would you mind sharing what happened and how you resolved it? Did you have to wait til the pressure was on them during delivery day for them to fix it? I am dealing with this now where FSD is showing incorrectly on my order summary.

It was never resolved. This happened back in May when they first quoted me a price and said they could match CarMax and then didn't. Gave me the run around for a week just to say the price match date was over. So for this order, I pretty much ordered after all the price drops are already in place although I was tempted to add FSD. Did you already have FSD on yours? If so, they shouldn't charge you more if that is what's happening.

Whelp, try #2 since I rejected the first Model S this past summer due to the hatch not being aligned and not shutting properly. I ordered on Oct 14 and have a delivery scheduled for the 16th of Nov. Fingers crossed all will go well! Wanted to share timing, so folks in the Baltimore area have a sense of timelines for production/delivery. It took about two weeks to get a VIN # if you're wondering about that too.

Excited to add a second Tesla to the family!

@hjzs2k that's too bad, sounds similar to mine. I had an order glitch where the FSD price changed on me somehow and they wouldn't fix it. They "escalated" it multiple times and no one would help. Then, suddenly my order disappeared. They still have my $100

I'm going to move on, just didn't feel like the right time anymore after fighting with them. Different experience all together than with my Model 3.

That's true @alloverx , especially for the average customer and not enthusiasts, necessarily, like we are. The process is / can be terrifying and intimidating. It would be interesting to see the difference in sales numbers if Tesla normalized some of their sales and customer service efforts or made the process feel more comfortable for people.