Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DayTrippin

Supporting Member
Apr 30, 2021
TX
I was afraid this day would come to the 3/Y. Looks like they will be removing the stalks from the 3/Y. I have to be honest, I think this is a stupid idea. They did this to my S along with the yoke. I hated the yoke so much I replaced it with a Hansshow wheel. I can't get back the lack of stalks though. This was a very bad design decision. Even stupider on the S because if you hit the center airbag the horn doesn't work.

The lack of stalks is a real pain if you have a blind intersection and have to reverse quickly. I can't tell you how many close calls I've had with my S over this idiot implementation of the gear selector.

Here is a post where I wrote how the lack of stalks focused on the gearshift issue.

fetchimage

This (scene) is absolutely what went through my mind when I first read this thread title. Possibly, binge watching the entire star wars saga from start to finish this summer (in chronological order, starting from prequel movie 1, through the movies, clone wars, star wars rebels, etc) had something to do with that, lol.

Reactions: advocate8
This "remove the stalks" decision is just so hard to understand. It's very clear that Tesla is disconnected from their own customers.

I guess we all already knew this, with them providing no direct feedback mechanisms, not growing the service centers with car sales, and pushing major regressions to their software. Not to mention the humanoid robots AD/HD.

Perhaps it's time for Tesla to go away. It seems they've already served their purpose of pushing the auto industry to go electric. Although if they die now, major auto might keep cranking out ICE vehicles for a *long* time.

I think the writing was on the wall that they want to move to this to follow the whole minimalist design and given Elon mentioned a year ago autoshift would eventually hit the 3/Y.

I think the biggest complaints of the yoke is mostly the shape (and the steering ratio being conventional) and the horn button (which Elon promised would be addressed, but has yet to do so). The turn signals it seems most people got used to it quite easily.

Reactions: RDoc
I think the writing was on the wall that they want to move to this to follow the whole minimalist design and given Elon mentioned a year ago autoshift would eventually hit the 3/Y.

I think the biggest complaints of the yoke is mostly the shape (and the steering ratio being conventional) and the horn button (which Elon promised would be addressed, but has yet to do so). The turn signals it seems most people got used to it quite easily.
No, the biggest complaint from yoke owners is not the wheel. It’s the lack of horn button, stalks, gear selector.

This "remove the stalks" decision is just so hard to understand. It's very clear that Tesla is disconnected from their own customers.
Not hard to understand. Elon/Tesla believe their own BS that the cars will drive themselves "any day now" and so removing controls is a logical conclusion. Plus it improves margins. Tesla may be disconnected form their customers but they are very connected to Wall Street.

Like @DayTrippin I replaced the yoke in MX with a Hansshow wheel. I am hoping for a stalk solution as well. I went to pass someone this morning and I hit the wrong blinker button....

This thread seems to have died:

Not grumping at Ryan, he's busy with his day job. But hopefully with a wider potential market this will spur one or more of the aftermarket Tesla shops to productize a stalk option.

Many people are resistant to change. They are used to stalks and gear flippers.
They have been driving with them for many years, and have gotten used to them.

After some time driving without them, they will adapt, but adaption is not effortless.

Cars used to have horn buttons all over the place. On horn rings, buttons, floorboard switches, dash buttons, on the end of stalks etc. Drove people crazy when renting cars unfamiliar to them. Now auto manufacturers have normalized many controls and people have gotten comfortable with them.

Eliminating stalks has made this uncomfortable again. Luddites always resist change.

Motivation to change from stalks hanging on steering columns is strong. It can save hundreds of $ by neither buying them or installing them. They are old fashioned mechanical devices, subject to wear and malfunction. When you are building a Million Cars a year, saving a couple hundred $ on each one will make sense to many. Also saves weight, complication, engineering, shopping for devices and integrating them across their full lineup of vehicles.

Probably takes 1/10 of $, time, complication, purchasing, design, integration, assembly, storage of parts, malfunctions and general hassle over installing legacy stalks. Putting haptic buttons on steering wheels has lots of advantages.

Once you get used to haptics, they are really much simpler than dealing with all the knobs, switches, push pull, move up/down, etc. that comes with manipulating the typical stalk with headlight dimming, turn signal, horn button, windshield wiper, windshield washer, dash dimmer, cruise control, running lights, rear wipers/washers etc.

Elon is optimistic, believing that sentient Human Beings are capable of changing. He may be wrong about many.

They can sell this to the masses as futuristic but at its core it's cost cutting. They just keep removing convenience features in making the car cheaper to manufacture. I wouldn't be surprised if seat buttons are next as they integrate them with the screen to remove all buttons in the car and save a few more pennies. Tesla's success is almost in spite of themselves at this point. It's like they aren't happy unless the owners of their vehicles are unhappy.

After some time driving without them, they will adapt, but adaption is not effortless.

Cars used to have horn buttons all over the place. On horn rings, buttons, floorboard switches, dash buttons, on the end of stalks etc. Drove people crazy when renting cars unfamiliar to them. Now auto manufacturers have normalized many controls and people have gotten comfortable with them.

Eliminating stalks has made this uncomfortable again. Luddites always resist change.

Motivation to change from stalks hanging on steering columns is strong. It can save hundreds of $ by neither buying them or installing them. They are old fashioned mechanical devices, subject to wear and malfunction. When you are building a Million Cars a year, saving a couple hundred $ on each one will make sense to many. Also saves weight, complication, engineering, shopping for devices and integrating them across their full lineup of vehicles.

Probably takes 1/10 of $, time, complication, purchasing, design, integration, assembly, storage of parts, malfunctions and general hassle over installing legacy stalks. Putting haptic buttons on steering wheels has lots of advantages.

Once you get used to haptics, they are really much simpler than dealing with all the knobs, switches, push pull, move up/down, etc. that comes with manipulating the typical stalk with headlight dimming, turn signal, horn button, windshield wiper, windshield washer, dash dimmer, cruise control, running lights, rear wipers/washers etc.

Elon is optimistic, believing that sentient Human Beings are capable of changing. He may be wrong about many.

FYI the Model 3/Y turn stalks are electronic. People like physical buttons because they are tactile and enables drivers to make adjustments faster. Nearly 2.5x faster according to this studly. It's just something that's never going to change as no matter how well a screen is configured the driver still has to look at it to perform a task whereas physical buttons can be utilized via muscle memory.

Critics today love to complain about how physical buttons are great and how touchscreens aren’t. But what evidence is there to back that up? Well, Sweden’s Vi Bilägare has just conducted a test that proves those critics right.

Change for the sake of change is a stupid idea. Your essay leads me to believe you are an apologist for everything Musk tries to invent.

The lack of stalks is just something I hate every day on my S. With driving with the Hansshow wheel, it just magnifies my anger for the lack of them as I am focused on it everyday I use the car. The stupid buttons are not very responsive if I use them for the gear shift.

I've bought 3 Teslas in the last ~12 months. I am thinking they might be my last. From an end user perspective, there is no benefit for the lack of stalks. The dubious benefit (not obscuring the display) of the yoke on the S isn't a good enough one as I can see the display pretty well with the wheel. I don't know about you but I drive with my head out of the cockpit. If they were worried about being able to see the display better, give he HUD.

I can't wait until they roll out the 3/Y without stalks and listen to the people howl or have accidents because they can't change direction quickly, not that I hope it will happen but given the current shitty design it will.

Luddites always resist change.

I suppose if your bicycle manufacturer's data shows that "90% of riding happens off the seat" and so they decide to do away with bike seats, you'll be happy to ride the pole.

Tesla can remove passenger lumbar support (and driver side too for all I care). They can even remove the seat controls and move them into the touchscreen (they probably should)... but if the car has no stalks, I won't buy it.