Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Column shift manual transmission were once common in the US, but disappeared in the 1970s or so. Image below shows a "three on the tree" shifter. (Was the Trabant's shifter that awful to shift?)
79-nova-driver-s-manual-shifting-instructions-1604454927.jpg

never driven one. But Trabant was similar with the exception that it was in reverse to what is now standard. I.e. Rather than R - 1 - 2 -3 Neutral i nthe middle it was 4 - 3 - 2 -1 - R with neutral in the middle. I cant remember if the main Trabant was fully syncronized - perhaps only in the first gear or so.

Tbh in practice even in my E46 and E90 BMW i often shifted without using the clutch (too lazy to use it). Its not that hard once you get used to timing the revs right. Afaik with non syncronized cars most people shifted without using the clutch as it was less faff.

I think that the main reason that the stalks are being phased out is that Elon likes to replace moving parts with electronic versions.
Speaking of phasing out moving parts:

Speaking of phasing out moving parts:

Ironically, this actually would result in a better yoke system. Lexus/Toyota had a yoke that was done by steer-by-wire and it works a ton better than Tesla's given the steering ratio can be changed on the fly.

Reactions: Michael24
My Model 3 still came with the stalks.

I can't say I would find the push switches on the steering wheel easy to use to shift the car.

I would have to hunt for the button, because the steering wheel is not always in the same clock position.

Likewise, I find the controlling the radio volume frustrating. I prefer a plain old knob.

Honda switched back to a mechanical knob after many complaints.

The Ford Mustang Mach e has a physical radio volume knob.

Nothing expensive or complicated to make a simple shifter switch. My battery powered Ryobi riding lawn mower uses a simple sliding switch like this.

179531_riding_lawnmower_control_panel_3.jpg

179532_riding_lawnmower_control_panel.jpg

I found this $12 shifter two position switch on Amazon.

618mTgm+QqL._SL1500_.jpg