Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many people are resistant to change. They are used to stalks and gear flippers.
They have been driving with them for many years, and have gotten used to them.

After some time driving without them, they will adapt, but adaption is not effortless.

Cars used to have horn buttons all over the place. On horn rings, buttons, floorboard switches, dash buttons, on the end of stalks etc. Drove people crazy when renting cars unfamiliar to them. Now auto manufacturers have normalized many controls and people have gotten comfortable with them.

Eliminating stalks has made this uncomfortable again. Luddites always resist change.

Motivation to change from stalks hanging on steering columns is strong. It can save hundreds of $ by neither buying them or installing them. They are old fashioned mechanical devices, subject to wear and malfunction. When you are building a Million Cars a year, saving a couple hundred $ on each one will make sense to many. Also saves weight, complication, engineering, shopping for devices and integrating them across their full lineup of vehicles.

Probably takes 1/10 of $, time, complication, purchasing, design, integration, assembly, storage of parts, malfunctions and general hassle over installing legacy stalks. Putting haptic buttons on steering wheels has lots of advantages.

Once you get used to haptics, they are really much simpler than dealing with all the knobs, switches, push pull, move up/down, etc. that comes with manipulating the typical stalk with headlight dimming, turn signal, horn button, windshield wiper, windshield washer, dash dimmer, cruise control, running lights, rear wipers/washers etc.

Elon is optimistic, believing that sentient Human Beings are capable of changing. He may be wrong about many.
Strongly disagree. Change can be tough yet often necessary. The removal is stalks on my S has been something that I completely embraced, and a decision I even defended, until I realized how horrible it was. I’ve been driving stalkless for 14 months, and I promise you, it sucks. The on screen gear selection feature is downright dangerous. There is no haptic feedback. I have had not one, but multiple incidents where I thought the gear was changed to reverse and it did not, causing me to lurch forward.

I really hope Tesla does remove stalks on the 3/Y. With the following masses of disgruntled customers, maybe they will come to their senses and bring them back, not just for the 3/Y, but for the minority S drivers as well.

It is a personal choice. I am 180 from you in that my first Tesla is the MS with yoke and no stalks. Whenever I have a loaner, I absolutely hate it. Clicking and flipping and pushing and pulling at these appendages is a total PITA. That being said, if I was used to that then the haptics may seem just as bad. If Elon offered me a free wheel and stalks I would decline. There is no right or wrong on this topic and many try to present engineering based supporting arguments but it is just choice and what you are used to.

I believe Tesla is considering removing the steering wheel and accelerator and brake pedal next.
2025 Tesla steering/braking/acceleration control.

images.jpeg

*Controller sold separately

so people test drove the no-stalks-yoke, didn't like it, bought it anyway, then still hate it. huh. that's a weird one. not.
Test drives? What are you talking about? There have only been Refresh S/X demo cars available for the last couple of weeks. Thousands and thousands of no-stalks-yoke cars were purchased by people that were unable to drive the car first. I waited to order a refresh X until I knew there were aftermarket wheel options. I still want stalks but with a wheel I'm doing ok.

Woah I had to look and its true theres a wheel option on the S/X now. Also they have gone to a dual thumbwheel setup. There still appears to be signal buttons but we're halfway there.
It still seems like the DIY replacement with Model 3 steering wheel with stalks is the best retrofit for a Model S/X with yoke or lack of stalks that the driver does not like.

Test drives? What are you talking about? There have only been Refresh S/X demo cars available for the last couple of weeks. Thousands and thousands of no-stalks-yoke cars were purchased by people that were unable to drive the car first. I waited to order a refresh X until I knew there were aftermarket wheel options. I still want stalks but with a wheel I'm doing ok.
I test drove a refresh S at the Plano, TX/Legacy West center last month.

It really wasn't that strange, seemed like something you'd get used to. I think the 'no gear shifter' and (lack of standard) horn would be a more awkward adjustment than the yoke shape or turn signals.

I think the fact that Tesla will be offering a retrofit option, as well as a choice going forward, tells you all you need to know about what a failure this turned out to be for them.

I tried to give the yoke a chance. The best I can say in about 3k+ miles of using it was that sometimes it wasn't horrible such as cruising down the highway. Put me in downtown Dallas with bunch of tight turns where I had to turn more than about 70 degrees of lock each way and I disliked it. Throw in the horrendous gear shift implementation and I despised it.

If I wasn't able to get at least a replacement wheel shortly after taking deliverly of my car, I would have sold the car long ago. If someone offered a stalk option to replace the idiotic gearshift design I'd give them $500 or more instantly to rid myself of that abominable design.

You may not realize how bad it can be on a short test drive. Go try it and pretend you have to enter a blind intersection or one with poor visibility and see how fast you can find reverse and back the car up. Now try doing it without looking at the screen.

It is a personal choice. I am 180 from you in that my first Tesla is the MS with yoke and no stalks. Whenever I have a loaner, I absolutely hate it. Clicking and flipping and pushing and pulling at these appendages is a total PITA. That being said, if I was used to that then the haptics may seem just as bad. If Elon offered me a free wheel and stalks I would decline. There is no right or wrong on this topic and many try to present engineering based supporting arguments but it is just choice and what you are used to.
Clearly, some like Tesla's approach. I applaud Tesla and Musk's guts to try new things and not be hidebound by convention. That's how we improve.
Model S/X now has wheel option vs yoke…
I'm glad to hear they are willing to learn as well. I gave the Yoke an honest try. It was ok on the road but not for close-quarters maneuvering.
Maybe it won't cost too much to swap the wheel for a yoke and remove the stalks for those who don't want them.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Clearly, some like Tesla's approach. I applaud Tesla and Musk's guts to try new things and not be hidebound by convention. That's how we improve.

I'm glad to hear they are willing to learn as well. I gave the Yoke an honest try. It was ok on the road but not for close-quarters maneuvering.
Maybe it won't cost too much to swap the wheel for a yoke and remove the stalks for those who don't want them.
There are still no stalks, even with the round wheel.

There are still no stalks, even with the round wheel.
Yes, that isn't good, IMHO. I'm proposing they do have stalks (and/or dashboard haptic controls) as a removable option (even at additional cost).
I, personally, prefer (and believe it is negligent not to have) haptic controls for all safety and operationally critical functions that need to be changed in real-time without having to look at them.
It is fine (and preferable) with me if less critical things such as navigation, radio, entertainment, climate control (except defrost/defog), seat, steering wheel, and seat position, etc are controlled via a visual-based IU such as a touch screen. That way, these auxiliary features won't clutter up the important, reachable space with extraneous knobs and buttons that can get in the way of critical actions.
I like the Model 3/Y's approach of putting as much as possible on the screen while still having haptic controls for steering accelerating, braking, direction control, wipers, turn signal, etc. I do wish they had haptic and/or manual backups/override for headlights, e-brake, locks, defogger, etc.

I agree. It is especially annoying since the Model 3/Y clockspring module with stalks is mechanically drop-in compatible for the refreshed S/X clockspring, and uses the same electrical connector. They just need to put it in the damn cars (and add holes in the plastic cladding pieces for the stalks). It's not like some major hardware development task or major changes to the BOM.

Many people are resistant to change. They are used to stalks and gear flippers.
They have been driving with them for many years, and have gotten used to them.

After some time driving without them, they will adapt, but adaption is not effortless.

Cars used to have horn buttons all over the place. On horn rings, buttons, floorboard switches, dash buttons, on the end of stalks etc. Drove people crazy when renting cars unfamiliar to them. Now auto manufacturers have normalized many controls and people have gotten comfortable with them.

Eliminating stalks has made this uncomfortable again. Luddites always resist change.

Motivation to change from stalks hanging on steering columns is strong. It can save hundreds of $ by neither buying them or installing them. They are old fashioned mechanical devices, subject to wear and malfunction. When you are building a Million Cars a year, saving a couple hundred $ on each one will make sense to many. Also saves weight, complication, engineering, shopping for devices and integrating them across their full lineup of vehicles.

Probably takes 1/10 of $, time, complication, purchasing, design, integration, assembly, storage of parts, malfunctions and general hassle over installing legacy stalks. Putting haptic buttons on steering wheels has lots of advantages.

Once you get used to haptics, they are really much simpler than dealing with all the knobs, switches, push pull, move up/down, etc. that comes with manipulating the typical stalk with headlight dimming, turn signal, horn button, windshield wiper, windshield washer, dash dimmer, cruise control, running lights, rear wipers/washers etc.

Elon is optimistic, believing that sentient Human Beings are capable of changing. He may be wrong about many.

Lol….. you mean like the instrument cluster not found on the 3 and y but found on the S and X?

Next thing you know you’ll say rear view mirrors aren’t needed and people are resistant to change lol

Reactions: GeertAerts