Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a rental SUV recently with the buttons on the center console for shifting gears. It was not good having to look at which button to push while switching from reverse to drive a few time due to super right parking.

That was confirmation enough for me that I don't want gear shifting via a Tesla touch screen. I'll take the stalk, thank you very much!!!

Just too much use cases where no stalk is inconvenient or dangerous having to look first.

I like the Model 3/Y's approach of putting as much as possible on the screen while still having haptic controls for steering accelerating, braking, direction control, wipers, turn signal, etc. I do wish they had haptic and/or manual backups/override for headlights, e-brake, locks, defogger, etc.
In general, for ease of use while driving, when using controls without looking at them may be required, the order of preference is:
  1. Controls which can be actuated by feel and whose current state can be determined by feel (if not otherwise obvious).
  2. Touch screen controls near the edge of the touch screen and present at all times (like the bottom row).
  3. Touch screen controls not at the edge of the touch screen and/or accessible only in some modes or behind menus.
Category 1 includes steering wheel, brake pedal, accelerator, turn signal stalk, park / e-brake button, PRND, cruise control. While a yoke and/or non-stalk turn signal technically fall into this category, there are other issues with them.
Category 2 includes HVAC temperature and whatever optional stuff you can put on the bottom row.
Category 3 includes manual control of wipers, headlights, and most HVAC stuff. If the automatic modes are not to your liking, manually adjusting them can be annoying and distracting.

Reactions: advocate8 and Earl
Latest controls from the teenage minds at Tesla. Acceleration and braking is by voice command (giddy-up or whoa) which is only recognized 50% of the time, but a software update is promised every month, so don't worry and just hold on. The computer doesn't display anything relevant to controlling the car, but instead displays the more-important score of your video game of choice.

1673190327180.jpeg

Last edited:
OK so after seeing what they did to the S/X it looks like wheels are still a thing but the stalks may be headed out as now the wheels have a few extra buttons as well alongside the wheels. If they make some of those available for gear changes I don.t think this will be a catastrophe..

Latest controls from the teenage minds at Tesla. Acceleration and braking is by voice command (giddy-up or whoa) which is only recognized 50% of the time, but a software update is promised every month, so don't worry and just hold on. The computer doesn't display anything relevant to controlling the car, but instead displays the more-important score of your video game of choice.

View attachment 893615

Okay, at first I was very much against removal of gear stalks... but if losing the stalks is the price I have to pay for being able to control the car's speed by saying "giddy-up" and "whoa", count me in!! Always wanted to be a cowboy. 🤠

OK so after seeing what they did to the S/X it looks like wheels are still a thing but the stalks may be headed out as now the wheels have a few extra buttons as well alongside the wheels. If they make some of those available for gear changes I don.t think this will be a catastrophe..
Not a catastrophe, but definitely has that potential. As I stated up-thread, I was very much a defender of the loss of stalks, though I still thought I would prefer them once I got my car. After getting my S, I assumed I would just adapt. I did, but after over a year with this, I hate the lack of stalks with a passion. Turn signals are annoying and difficult to use, but I can live with it. The gear selection, with no haptic feedback, is downright terrifying. I have nearly wrecked my car several times because of this, and it WILL happen to others once this stupid idea hits the masses.

It is a personal choice. I am 180 from you in that my first Tesla is the MS with yoke and no stalks. Whenever I have a loaner, I absolutely hate it. Clicking and flipping and pushing and pulling at these appendages is a total PITA. That being said, if I was used to that then the haptics may seem just as bad. If Elon offered me a free wheel and stalks I would decline. There is no right or wrong on this topic and many try to present engineering based supporting arguments but it is just choice and what you are used to.

There are a few people here that have no issue with the lack of stalks, and even prefer it, stating it is a matter of personal preference. That is true. Though to argue against your point, I will gladly race you in a MS with stalks against your stalkless MS into a tight parallel parking spot anytime. Heck, I would even give you a 10-second head start. My wild guess is that the vast majority of people here at TMC are above-average drivers, being passionate enough about driving just to be here. Expect to hear lots of cursing the very first time the average or below-average driver tries to get into a tight spot with this stupid touchscreen.

Historically, Model S drivers tend to be a group of passionate EV users, many of whom embrace change. When I bought my first MS, there were only 4 superchargers in the world. If >90% of MS drivers hate the new system (a very conservative estimate), leaving only a very small minority who like it, my belief is that this upcoming change for the 3/Y is not going to go over well for Tesla.

Historically, Model S drivers tend to be a group of passionate EV users, many of whom embrace change.
As a very early Roadster owner and an EV1 leasee long before that, clearly, I fully embrace improvements. I'll happily tolerate them, even if they mean mistakes are made in searching for them. While some embrace change just to be different, I'm not one of them.
stalks may be headed out as now the wheels have a few extra buttons as well alongside the wheels
I've driven cars with buttons for 'shifting/direction control' as well as worked with levers/knobs on the floor, dashboard, and the wheel and can live with a lot of them as long as I don't have to take my eyes off of the road (including when facing backward).
I've also driven vehicles with turn signal control as stalks on the wheel (both sides - on right-hand drive cars in UK, Japan, etc), lever on dash, and thumb switch on handlebar (motorcycle). I've also stuck my hand out the window to signal. For this, a stalk on the wheel is definitely the most convenient and, I believe this action should be convenient since not enough people do it today as it is.
I am, of course, open to better ways and buttons on the wheel might be ok depending on the details.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
Real question for those of you running no stalk already....hope not already answered, dont mean to clog things... but.... What happens if you’re stopped at an intersection and your software freezes and you need a reboot? this is not hypothetical, it has happened to me
I would assume the car would still drive normally since the state of the driving mode has not changed. If you had to go into reverse or park then that may be a problem until the screen rebooted. I'm kind of surprised that the NHTSA allowed Tesla to move PND controls to a screen as it seems there could be complications in collisions and other emergency situations especially if the screen fails.

Reactions: father_of_6
Real question for those of you running no stalk already....hope not already answered, dont mean to clog things... but.... What happens if you’re stopped at an intersection and your software freezes and you need a reboot? this is not hypothetical, it has happened to me

There is also the row of touch buttons for shifting on the console. Hopefully those will still work I guess.

Yes, there is a row of buttons immediately under the wireless phone charging section that pops up in valet mode, and under certain other failures.

• Funny
Reactions: advocate8
Oh yeah, *nothing* happens... the car will still be in the same gear it was before rebooting. Now if the question is... "Can you change gears during a reboot?", it's possible the answer is the same regardless of stalks vs buttons.
Yea, I'm failing to see the difference between stalk and no-stalk. Its calling the same process, just one is via button and the other via a stalk.

Yea, I'm failing to see the difference between stalk and no-stalk. Its calling the same process, just one is via button and the other via a stalk.

From the standpoint of "what happens during a reboot?", which was the context of that question, the two (stalks vs buttons) are the same.

To me, the one HUGE difference is the ability to make a change without looking vs needing to look to touch a screen. The latter will NEVER be look-less. This is a non-starter for me.

We are in agreement. I want the stalks replaced with steering wheel buttons as much as I want the foot pedals replaced with steering wheel buttons (zilch).

Playing Mario Kart, I want buttons for all of the functions... but driving IRL those same buttons are insufficient.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff