Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can reliably cancel the turn signal by tapping either direction, but the key is to tap slowly - take your time with it.

BTW, in addition to the latched and triple-blink modes, there is also an undocumented "manual" mode where the signal will blink for as long as you lightly hold the stalk (like old mechanical stalks did). This can be useful if you're trying to cancel mid-turn and concerned that you might trigger a new triple blink just after the steering wheel has canceled - just hold in the same direction for about a second and you will be guaranteed cancellation on release.

Last edited:
Haha, yes the irony is humorous, but the underlying message is clear:

• Tesla's automatic windshield wiper system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's automatic wiper speed/delay system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's automatic high beam system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's automatic climate control system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's automatic defog/defrost system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's traffic aware cruise control system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's keyless entry system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla can't even make a basic gearshift stalk that works when you'd expect it to (immediately after pressing the brake)
  • Tesla can't even make a basic turn signal stalk that works when you'd expect it to (with a brief tap)
So is this really the best time to be lunging toward a more computer-based gearshift, high-beams, wipers, etc.?

Really? My entire list is just personal opinion and conjecture, except for TACC - the only one of those topics that NHTSA is ramping up their investigation into.
That has not been proven either, it's still an investigation.

Meanwhile from a quick search, there have been actual recalls for other manufacturers:
FCA recalls 60,000 Alfa Romeos over out-of-control cruise | Car News | Auto123
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCRIT-14V293-3594.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RMISC-22V107-3362.pdf

You can reliably cancel the turn signal by tapping either direction, but the key is to tap slowly - take your time with it.

BTW, in addition to the latched and triple-blink modes, there is also an undocumented "manual" mode where the signal will blink for as long as you lightly hold the stalk (like old mechanical stalks did). This can be useful if you're trying to cancel mid-turn and concerned that you might trigger a new triple blink just after the steering wheel has canceled - just hold in the same direction for about a second and you will be guaranteed cancellation on release.
On this topic, I think the ignoring of rapid tapping is related to the "hold" function. Given the stalk is mechanically just actuation based (based on detent position), the hold function is likely software time-based, so a quick tap may be ignored.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

The yoke have actually eliminated the triple blink mode and actually added an auto deactivation mode (based on software lane change detection, not just on wheel return like traditional signal cancels). So actually it may work better in this regard.
Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla
Plaid Yoke Turn Signals

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
The wiper system sucks, yep. I don't remotely have any issues with any of the other stuff that's been posted. But how those things are interfaced doesn't change anything. Everything in the car is software based regardless.

The wiper system sucks, yep. I don't remotely have any issues with any of the other stuff that's been posted. But how those things are interfaced doesn't change anything. Everything in the car is software based regardless.
The wipers used to work well enough for me during the winter. We had some rain last week, the first time in at least 3 months, and the "automatic" function was unusable. It left me pushing the button (on the stalk!) to get the wipers going and then fiddling with the screen to have them wipe per the amount that it was raining. Also, it was pretty bright out so the headlights didn't come on like they should if the wipers are going. A selectable feature that was removed awhile back.

This is the most exasperating thing about this car. Something will be working fine and then a SW update F's it up.

Auto high beam is pretty bad as well as it goes spastic at times undecided when a vehicle is approaching turning on, then off, then back on again. My BMW's may have taken too long to turn off the odd time but I had to turn it off on the model 3 because I was getting flashed too much. The climate control system to date has been good enough for me and the keyless assist has worked well for me at least.

Haha, yes the irony is humorous, but the underlying message is clear:

• Tesla's automatic windshield wiper system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's automatic wiper speed/delay system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's automatic high beam system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's automatic climate control system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's automatic defog/defrost system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's traffic aware cruise control system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla's keyless entry system is perhaps the least-consistent variation of this common technology to have ever been produced
  • Tesla can't even make a basic gearshift stalk that works when you'd expect it to (immediately after pressing the brake)
  • Tesla can't even make a basic turn signal stalk that works when you'd expect it to (with a brief tap)
So is this really the best time to be lunging toward a more computer-based gearshift, high-beams, wipers, etc.?
I have to disagree with your assessments of the auto wipers and auto high beams, but also state that neither of which are state of the art. I'd rank them both in the middle of the pack as passenger vehicles go, but considering that Tesla is a high tech company, these options are out of character with the rest of the vehicle.

As I've stated before, the auto high beams could be corrected via software by adding a more realistic activity zone. Doing so would eliminate the high beams being "distracted" by both reflections and lights that are not originating from vehicles in the oncoming lane. Is Tesla eventually going to fix this? Only Elon knows for sure.

Tesla's camera-based auto wipers behave about as good as those in vehicles that use moisture sensors. That's not saying much. Vehicles that use an IR LED and sensor pair system have auto wipers that behave better than Tesla's camera based wiper system. I doubt that the Tesla system can be improved via software, but you never know.

To summarize, I'd rate the Tesla auto high beams a 7 out of a possible 10 and the auto wipers a 5. They are not an industry worst, but they are disappointing.

I have to disagree with your assessments of the auto wipers and auto high beams, but also state that neither of which are state of the art. I'd rank them both in the middle of the pack as passenger vehicles go, but considering that Tesla is a high tech company, these options are out of character with the rest of the vehicle.

As I've stated before, the auto high beams could be corrected via software by adding a more realistic activity zone. Doing so would eliminate the high beams being "distracted" by both reflections and lights that are not originating from vehicles in the oncoming lane. Is Tesla eventually going to fix this? Only Elon knows for sure.

Tesla's camera-based auto wipers behave about as good as those in vehicles that use moisture sensors. That's not saying much. Vehicles that use an IR LED and sensor pair system have auto wipers that behave better than Tesla's camera based wiper system. I doubt that the Tesla system can be improved via software, but you never know.

To summarize, I'd rate the Tesla auto high beams a 7 out of a possible 10 and the auto wipers a 5. They are not an industry worst, but they are disappointing.

Ha ha no. This is the first car that I have ever owned that had auto wipers turn on in dry weather. This doesn't happen in cars with proper IR rain sensors. If you don't take my word for it Car & Driver testers that driver all sorts of cars for a living noted the auto wipers as being worse than other vehicles.

Tesla's auto wipers are noticeably less effective than the systems offered by, well, every other carmaker. —Eric Tingwall

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
I agree with everyone that things the auto wipers suck. Yes, they randomly turn on even in dry weather. When it is raining they are almost always at the wong speed, whether they are off, too slow, or too fast. For the people that say "it's all software", remember it was Tesla that decided to rely on just the cameras and clearly this has not worked.

But I will say I hate the high beams even more. There's nothing like driving at night at 70 mph only to have your high beams turn off for no reason, or not turn back on after passing a car in a bend and you're driving blind. Absolutely f'ing dangerous. It's my wife's car but whenever I drive it I turn the auto high beams off or risk death. My Ford truck's high beams work much more reliably, btw, similar price point vehicle although the auto lights are probably available in much cheaper models so Tesla really has no excuse.

I sat in a new Model X with the yoke today. The buttons are easy enough to remember because they are so few and their identities are printed on them, but they are too far away from the "rest" position. With my big hands I can reach them all although the horn is a stretch (which it shouldn't be), but for anyone with small hands they would be screwed, requiring surrendering your grip on the wheel to reach the buttons. Not acceptable.

Failed turn signal? Don't know what you are talking about.

Found the post from a while back where I had initially replied about this experience. To clarify, it's about failure to turn on, not confusion over how to cancel (relatively more people appear to have confusion over how to turn off, which is a completely separate thing and more to do about not understanding how it works vs. actual failure):

This is a newer post by someone else:

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I adore my two model 3s but removal of stalks would mean I would not buy Tesla again. The current stalk operations are safety critical and need to be immediately accessible without groping around or hesitation whatever position the steering wheel is in. For example: roundabouts and three point turns.

It seems like dogmatic over-simplification for minimal cost savings. Or perhaps they're deliberately alienating customers so they can keep up with the current sky high demand.

Are Teslas now aimed at lazy, arrogant drivers who think that any signalling is unnecessary because they incorrectly rate themselves as excellent drivers?

I've read many reviews of the new model S that love absolutely everything except the yoke and its over sensitive buttons.

I've avoided reading other peoples' opinions on the yoke since I like to give new things a chance, in order to see if they are better. Some are. As an original co-owner of a Signature 100 Roadster, I'm not afraid to try new things.
I've driven many variations of land, water, and air vehicles, and have even spent a little time conning and on the planes of a submarine. I've driven on both sides of the road with all possible combinations of steering wheel sides.
I've also driven several hundred thousand miles in perhaps 30 different 2, 3, and 4 wheel EVs and owned 6 of them over the past ~24 years.
This involves many different UI's, controls, and driving dynamics.
I've can get used to a lot.
Sorry to those who suffered through the long prologue. I just wanted to show that I have a track record of being flexible and I'm not afraid of trying new things.
Since I have a "Y" on order and I've heard the rumors that they may transition to a stalkless yoke, I took a test drive in a Model S today.
It is bad. Not a good idea.
It would probably work fine for over 99.9% of normal driving. However, It is absolutely horrible for that small portion of tight maneuvering that, while rare, is very critical as many in this thread have detailed.
Haptic controls are necessary for these critical rare instances so one need not look at one's fingers or the display when controlling.
If the Y only has a stalkless yoke as a factory-engineered option, I'll most likely reject delivery and start looking seriously at non-Tesla options. Cool factor does to outweigh drivability.
Tesla, please don't make me cut our relationship after 16 good years.

However, It is absolutely horrible for that small portion of tight maneuvering that, while rare, is very critical as many in this thread have detailed.
Could you say more about this? Is it in controlling turn signals, wipers, and shifting while steering?

I'd be willing to try the yoke but not sure what to test. The unmemorable X, Y, A, B, C buttons scattered around a game controller never worked for me.

My wife would be very reluctant to take a road trip stint with a yoke. She won't operate the touch screen while driving.